Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ADC-V723 alarm.com webcams won't stay connected to my Orbi RBR850

Gielodaddy
Star

ADC-V723 alarm.com webcams won't stay connected to my Orbi RBR850

I have a series of ADC-V723 cameras. They'll connect to the Orbi network, but then drop off frequently and intermediately come back on - finally just staying off.

I've turned off 20/40 MHz co-existence, set to short preamble, and turned power down to 50%.

Same result as if those settings weren't used.

Any advice on how to keep these cameras connected? They are dual channel (2.4/5.0).

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 1 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

The 20/40 coexistance applies only to 2.4G connections.  Can you identify which frequency these cameras are connecting at?

Message 2 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

@CrimpOn wrote:

The 20/40 coexistance applies only to 2.4G connections.  Can you identify which frequency these cameras are connecting at?

They all seem to steady-state connect at 2.4G, but they're fragile. I do occassionally see one sitting at 5G before it drops of the network. So, the 5G connections seem to be even more fragile. 

I love the Orbi too. Pure 2.4G devices don't like my Orbi system, so I've purged all of those. Dual channel devices mostly do well, with some exceptions. vis-a-vis all my cameras.

Message 3 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

2.4G radio signals are not attenuated as much as 5G signals when they pass through walls, windows, or by distance.  So devices generally can get a good connection to 2.4G when they are farther from the WiFi access point than they can with 5G.

Turning the radio transmit power down simply reduces the strength of the signal.

I would put the transmit power back to 100%.  How far are the cameras from the Orbi router and satellite(s)?  Do some connect to one WiFi access point and some to the other(s)?

Message 4 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

I put the power back to 100% and they definately try harder to stay connected at 5G, but fragility increases as they keep trying to reconnect and 5G and don't succeed. All the cameras are within 30' of a satellite and I've test the wifi signal with my phone out by each of them. It's good - though I recognize signal isn't everything. Even the one that is 10' away from the satellite is fragile. One of them is more reliable than all the rest  and - oddly - it's the one furthest from a satellite. 

Message 5 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Do these web cams have an interface that shows the WiFi signal strength?

My Reolink cameras have that primitive "WiFi fan display".for each of the nearby WiFi access points.

Does the Orbi management system (web or app) show which Orbi each is connected to?

Message 6 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

I can see the signal strength as reported on the Orbi - it's two out of three lines on the fan. Most of my devices are.

I can also see which satellite they are trying to connect to and they're all connected to the closest one.

Interestingly, when I turned the power up they have appeared to become a bit more unstable. Essensially, they seem (and I can't be totally sure) to be trying to connect at 5G and then falling off and trying to come back at 2.4G only to try and connect at 5G again. 

If I'm making a bold assertion, signal strength doesn't seem to be the issue. 

Message 7 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Do these cameras have an option in the setup somewhere to ignore 5G?

Message 8 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm trying to find out. That would help a lot.

Message 9 of 30
Mstrbig
Master

Most 1080p cams do better on 2.4Ghz because of distance and interference. 

The problem you are having may be explained by the cameras jumping to a further access point due to it having the same SSID, then dropping to 2.4Ghz. This is a common issue. There's not many work arounds on 2.4/5/g cameras, unless A: you can disable the 5Ghz on the camera, or B: you split the WIFI channels on the Orbi, which is not possible through their app or GUI. There are hacks that some have performed to separate them. But they are not officially supported by Netgear.

I solved mine by logging into my cameras one at a time and choosing the strongest of the 3 WIFI SSIDs with the same name. Theoretically, as long as you have no interference and the satellite or router WIFI signal doesn't drop, and the signal strength for 5Ghz is in the accepted threshold, the camera will stay connected to the SSID you chose. This is true in my case with the exception of a brownout. Then I have to go to the cameras that connected to the wrong SSID and correct it. You can check what satellite or router your cameras are connected to in orbilogin.com > Attached Devices.

Message 10 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

This is a truly puzzling situation, where a camera connects to the closest Orbi unit but then drops the connection.

If this were the original "residential" Orbi, I would suggest using the "Hide 5G SSID while connecting" trick.

(I have this dim memory of seeing a post that the AX product does not include this feature.)

Assuming that these cameras are set up like most cameras these days. (By creating a QR code on the smartphone app and showing the QR code to the camera.)

The idea would be to:

• Go into the Orbi Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Advanced Wireless and uncheck "Broadcast SSID" for the 5G channel.
  • Perform a factory reset on one camera.
  • Open the Smartphone app delete and "add" the camera again, creating a QR code with the Orbi SSID and password.
  • When the directions say to, show the QR code to the camera.
  • The camera should connect to the Orbi at 2.4G because the 5G SSID will be hidden.
  • After it connects, the camera should 'stick' to this access point.  Devices that are designed to move around are often programmed to constantly scan for the best WiFi signal, and to use 802.11 standards to talk to the WiFi system about switching nodes.  Devices that are intended to stay in one location are usually not programmed with this sophistication.

Of course, not having an AX Orbi to look at, my advice may be totally inappropriate.  Sorry.

Message 11 of 30
Mstrbig
Master

The only other thing I would try is configure the cameras with static IP. Then if the camera loses connection, it will never be reassigned another IP. 

It may be a good idea to temporarlily disconnect the other devices on your system, other than the cameras and the PC or laptop needed to perform this. That way, even though the DHCP server should correct the possible IP address conflicts, you won't have that problem. 

1. First Go to each camera and choose a static IP address and write down the MAC address for each camera. 

2. Then in your browser go to orbilogin.com.
3. Login window opens
4. Enter the admin username and password.
5. Select ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.
6. Click Add button in the Address Reservation section.
7. Type the IP address to assign to the computer or server, in the IP Address field.
8. Choose the IP address for each camera.
9. Type the MAC address of the same camera.
10. Click the Apply button.

Continue to the next camera and follow the steps starting with 5. 

Message 12 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

Sadly, the AX version do not let you turn off 5GHz. All you can do is dial down the power to 25%. I did that and tried what you suggested. For a while, it stuck to the 2.4GHz connection...then, it try to connect to 5GHz again. <sigh> I think I may be doomed. I could use the hack to split the SSID in 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but I lose some things in doing that as well. 

I'm afraid the earlier post about some smart devices not dealing with a dual band SSID is true.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Andrew

Message 13 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

Ok. I'm going to give this one a try.

Message 14 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

@Gielodaddy wrote:

Ok. I'm going to give this one a try.

To close this thread out: Ultimately, the cameras don't want to connect robustly to the Orbi's single SSID. I tried everything suggested. So, I pulled out my retired Nighthawk R7800 and created a dedicated wife network for the cameras that is only broadcasting 2.4Ghz. This works fine and I'm good with it because I don't need to access the cameras on my main network. At some point I'll have to swap out the cameras or hope for a firmware upgrade to get them all running on one network.

Interestingly, I'm getting about 1/4th the performance from the Nighthawk that I should be getting. I have it wire connected to the RBR850 and set it broadcast 2.4GHz on channel 11. I then set the Orbi to broadcast it's 2.4GHz on channel 1. Don't seem to be getting any visible interference, but see a performance degradation on the Nighthawk only. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks again,

Andrew

Message 15 of 30
htsu
Initiate

Andrew, I have the RB750...but own 4 of the exact same model alarm.com cameras.  I also experienced this issue, almost to the letter.  Changed all of the settings you did...multiple times.  Disconnected, factory reset, whisky, repeat.  I finally had to add my old Apple Airport Extreme to the ethernet port in the back of one of the Orbi devices to create a secondary wifi network *only* for the camera.

This makes me rather aggravated.  The Orbi system would be perfect if it wasn't for this problem.

I am having a similar issue with an iHome smart/wifi plug.  Although the plug has only faltered on me twice in about a month. The alarm.com cameras have countless drops per camera, per hour.

Message 16 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

@htsu wrote:

Andrew, I have the RB750...but own 4 of the exact same model alarm.com cameras.  I also experienced this issue, almost to the letter.  Changed all of the settings you did...multiple times.  Disconnected, factory reset, whisky, repeat.  I finally had to add my old Apple Airport Extreme to the ethernet port in the back of one of the Orbi devices to create a secondary wifi network *only* for the camera.

This makes me rather aggravated.  The Orbi system would be perfect if it wasn't for this problem.

I am having a similar issue with an iHome smart/wifi plug.  Although the plug has only faltered on me twice in about a month. The alarm.com cameras have countless drops per camera, per hour.

----

I may have a very robust solution for you. I just got the whole thing working this week. Here's what I did:

1.) First I bought three of these: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/ex2800.aspx I needed three because of the placement of my cameras, but you probably won't. One or Two might do the trick if you have plug located near where your cameras are and in range of an Orbi router or satellite.

2.) I connected each of them to the nearest Orbi in fastlane mode with a 5Ghz connection to Orbi and a broadcast of 2.4Ghz (this is easy to do, but you have to do the fastlane set up). 

3.) Each extender broadcasts a unique SSID. Important. So, for example, I have cameras_EXT1, cameras_EXT2 and cameras_EXT3. 

4.) My Orbi is set to broadcast 2.4Gz on channel 3 and I set all the extenders to channel 8.

5.) I then connected the cameras to the various extenders (depending on where the cameras were) and viola! Everything works awesome. No network degredation anywhere and stable camera connections.

6.) To clean up my network dispalys, after I connected everything I went to each of the extenders and turned off the SSID broadcast so they don't show up anymore.

Basically, this is an elaborate way to split the Orbi signal only push a 2.4Ghz signal.

I know it seems like a lot, but when you have some of the less sophisticated 2.4Gz/5Ghz devices with the Orbi this seems to be a great work around. Didn't cost me that much either. So, hot of the presses and my problem is completely solved. I use the extenders only for my cameras (I don't have any other wonkey devices in the house). 

I'm actually really happy now as the I get to keep the smart Orbi network in my house that autoselects AND I have all my cameras working.

Andrew

Message 17 of 30
bakojason
Aspirant

--Same story here. Almost word for word the same problems, same solutions attempted, same outcomes. Any suggestions on the best 'additional' router setup for my already expensive Orbi setup for all of my frequently dropping, reconnecting Vivotek Alarm cams and smart wemo switches would be appreciated. 

Message 18 of 30
Gielodaddy
Star

I don't have any problems with all my wemos. I did turn off 20/40Mhz co-existence in advanced wifi settings though. All wemos (and I have a lot) work fine. I assume all your firmware is up to date. Most of my wemos are gen 2 though. I don't know of any other solution for the cameras beyond the extender one I wrote about. I will say it works just fine. Maybe you can get away with just one of them?

Message 19 of 30
DaveEdmonds
Guide

Followed this thread since I as well am in the same group of ADC-723 security camera people. I too just decided to connect my Extreme router to the satellite 15 feet from the camera. Finally able to connect the camera but need to change it to 2.4 since it seems to still have some issue now and then.

I spoke to my Alarm.Com technical support and finally got someone with more than a rudimentary knowledge of networks and he confirmed that they have seen many issues with the Orbi and their security cameras. He did tell me that he put in a request to the camera developer and that he will email me when he gets a reply.

We'll see I guess. Love the Orbi otherwise but tire quickly of the fanboys out there that defend deficiencies in a product. Especially at this price point.

Message 20 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 21 of 30
betona
Apprentice

I found this thread by Googling. It's not the same unit, but it is the same behavior and it worked a year an a half on 3 different Xfinity wifi access points.. I recently replaced that access point with the cable modem CBK752 kit which has the CBR750 access point and the RBS750 satellite. Everything else connected fine including other IOT devices, but I can't get the outdoor cam to connect at all. I also have the indoor V522IR cam and it never skipped a beat (same wifi login/pwd).

I called support and alarm.com decided the wifi had failed in the cam so they sent me a new one. It won't connect either. When you load that little web page from the camera to give it the login, it shows a signal strength and mine's around 88 which is plenty. I moved the modem literally 2 feet to the left into the doorway of the front door and got it to 100 and still nothing but a red light. Finally I put the satellite right underneath the cam--and it quickly and easily connected!

I went inside to add the camera on the website and it wanted to install new firmware which I thought was great news based on @DaveEdmonds'  comment in January. I thought maybe there's a fix? It finished the upgrade and began working perfectly. I unplugged the satellite to put it back where it belongs, and it continued to stream via the router for a few minutes and then failed, going back to a solid red light and a worthless camera guarding my house. And that's where I am.

Message 22 of 30
DaveEdmonds
Guide

I don't remember mentioning firmware to get my working. The only way my camera for my security system would work was to hardwire an extra router I g=had laying around to facilitate an additional access point that I used to connect both my camera, the alram panel and my garage door.

There are apparently many devices that don't play well with a mesh style network unfortunately, even icluding many home soundbars and other interior devices.

Message 23 of 30
betona
Apprentice

Naw, what I meant was, you'd posted that they put in a request to the camera developer about this issue, and I was hopeful that maybe the firmware upgrade I got on a brand-new cam might be the fix. 

Message 24 of 30
DaveEdmonds
Guide

Oh, got it. Yeah they never came back with anything or any information which sadly is typical of the alarm company we have.

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7