Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Brk852 need my security cameras to 2.4

KevTN
Aspirant

Brk852 need my security cameras to 2.4

Hello,

I just upgraded from the Nighthawk to the Orbi 852 mesh. Everything is working great but for some reason two of my three security cameras are on the 5ghz and are really slow to respond. I need to change them to the 2.4 channel. Can I pick just those two to change to the 2.4? All my other smart devices automatically connected to the 2.4.

app ver 2.10.0.16

FW v3.2.18.1

thank you...

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@KevTN wrote:

I just upgraded from the Nighthawk to the Orbi 852 mesh. Everything is working great but for some reason two of my three security cameras are on the 5ghz and are really slow to respond. I need to change them to the 2.4 channel. Can I pick just those two to change to the 2.4? All my other smart devices automatically connected to the 2.4.

It would help a lot if you can identify the cameras by brand and model number.  If a security camera is successfully connected to the Orbi WiFi, the frequency should not matter.  I have security cameras that have only a 2.4G WiFi chip and thus connect to the Orbi at 2.4G and others which support both bands and choose to connect at 5G.  They all function normally.

Can you describe more about "slow to respond"?  2 seconds vs 1 second?  Takes 30 seconds vs 2 seconds?

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I neglected to state the obvious: Orbi WiFi systems broadcast WiFi on two channels (2.4G and 5G).  It is the device that devices which frequency (and which Orbi unit) it will connect with.  My cameras that support both 2.4G and 5G do not offer my a method to direct them to one frequency or the other.  My Windows laptop, however, has a provision to disable one of the frequency bands in the adapter.

Message 3 of 6
KevTN
Aspirant

I am not sure if the make of the camera but it is ADT security system. Slow meaning 30-60 seconds.
Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@KevTN wrote:
I am not sure if the make of the camera but it is ADT security system. Slow meaning 30-60 seconds.

Look, even an average 5GHz WiFi connection does perform better than a 2.4 GHz one. That's why industry standard devices prefer the 5 GHz over the 2.4 GHz band by default ....

Try to check if the cameras in question are linked to a Orbi satellite with probably a poor wireless backhaul connections - especially because I think I understood one camera is fine.

Whatever "30-60 seconds" are in the context of a slow camera ... does it take that long until a connection to the camers can be established (probably also over the cloud)?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@KevTN wrote:

Hello,

app ver 2.10.0.16

FW v3.2.18.1

thank you...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7