Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 'Can't find server' errors with ORBI 753

macbates
Aspirant

'Can't find server' errors with ORBI 753

I’m having some Internet issues with a newly installed Orbi RBK753 system, and haven’t been able to figure out how to solve them. What happens is that I will quite often get a “Safari can’t connect to the server” message when opening a web site, and also the occasional email message with a “?” icon where the jpeg/png or other attachment should be.

My original network setup was a Netgear DM111P ADSL modem/router configured in a modem only mode, connected to an Apple Airport router/WiFi, with a SecureFi Almond as a WiFi extender. Not great coverage, but a solid Internet connection with no issues whatsoever.

I replaced this setup with an Orbi 753 system, with the Orbi Router connected to the Netgear modem upstairs, a satellite on the main floor, and the second satellite in the basement. Coverage for this configuration is excellent, and moving throughout the house results in seamless connectivity as I would have expected. The issue is that although local WiFi coverage is great, I keep getting occasional errors from Internet sites. Sometimes web data will load, while other time it will not. If I keep reloading a web site the data will usually appear, but sometimes this takes multiple attempts spread over an hour or so. This happens on multiple computers, so it’s an Orbi issue, not a computer specific one. It’s definitely related to the Orbi, since if I disconnect the Orbi system and revert to the Apple/SecurFi setup, things work great (albeit with low coverage).

I’ve flushed DNS cache on the computers and also tried several different DNS providers, and the problem persists. I’ve also rebooted the modem and Orbi system with no change in the symptoms. I really hate to return the Orbi system since the coverage and speeds are outstanding, but the constant “server not found” errors make the system somewhat unusable. It appears to be DNS related, but could also be due to some other data related dropout.

I’ve gone over all the setup parameters and they all look good (most are the defaults) and can’t figure out what to try. Any idea as to what I might try to either fix the issue or isolate the problem?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Does this happend with both wireless and wired devices? 

Your modem is on the older side of modems. It only supports 100Mpbs on the WAN to LAN where the Orbi and newer gereration modems support 1000Mpbs on the WAN to LAN. So possible that the modem maybe a bottle neck and possible one cause of these errors your seeing. 

Message 2 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure about the firmware version, but I know that the Orbi did a firmware check when I first installed it, so I think it's up to date. When I try installing it again I'll double check to make sure it's the current one.

The modem is an older one, but the ADSL service I have is 12 Mb maximum, so the modem shouldn't be the bottleneck, especially since things work fine with the (also old) Apple router and SecureFi Almond.

Good point about the wireless vs wired, and I can't remember for sure. I think (think!) I had issues on a wired Ethernet connection also, and since the Ethernet goes from the Mac Pro to the Orbi Router Ethernet port, that still implicates the Orbi. When I switch back to the Orbi systems for a final test I'll check both wired and wireless to see if the errors occur equally on both.

All in all, it's very puzzling. Almost like the Orbi is dropping the ball somewhere, but doing so inconsistently. I would really like to get this working since the mesh functionality is great; 100% coverage throughout all floors in the house as well as outside, and the computer to computer WiFi speeds are also much better than with my old system.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I feel that there maybe an issue between the DSL modem and the RBR. You can try this, revert the modem back to router mode. Configure the RBR for AP mode and run this connfiguration to see if anything changes the behavior. Though the modem is older and worked with other products, it maybe possible that the Orbi could be putting too much stress on the modem and due to the connect being 100Mpbs instead of 1000Mpbs at the WAN port, modem maybe a bottle neck and having problems passing traffic to the RBR fast enough. I beleve you are one of a few or the only one to post having this kind of problem and using a older modem that I've seen. 

Message 4 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommendations. I reconnected the Orbi network and got a "server not found" error in Safari within 10 minutes, so the problem still exists. I checked the firmware, and it's at 3.2.16.6_1.4.4, which seems to be the latest.

I then switched the Netgear router over to router mode, rebooted everything, and set the Orbi to AP mode. Things seem to be working, with an Internet speed test showing 11.8 Mb download, 0.76 Mb upload, and 23 ms pings (slow, but normal for my connection). The Orbi home page is showing an internet not connected error, although the Internet is definitely connected. It bounces back and forth between 'Good' and 'Not connected' every few minutes, but as long as the Internet is in fact really on, that may just be a bug or a byproduct of being in AP mode, although it seems a bit strange.

I'll let things cook for a while and see if this fixes the "server not found" errors. If it does, I guess it's time for a new modem.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Ya if the RBR is showing intermittent error on connect, it's having a problem with the modem. I would try a new updated modem, with with out a built in router and support 1000Mpbs on the wan port. 

Message 6 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

OK, I'll try that. After all this time I guess a new modem probably isn't a bad idea, even on my puny ADSL connection. I'm also having issues connecting some peripherals over WIFi now, so I definitely have to switch back to router mode on the Orbi. Luckily, Costco has a 90 day return policy, so that gives me time to get a new modem and see if that fixes things.

I'll check back in once I get the new modem and update this post with the results. Thanks again for the help.

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 26
Mikey94025
Hero

Your issue may also be the intermittent DNS issue reported in this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-frequently-issuing-DNS-REFUSED-responses/m-p/1926055....

Message 9 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully this is just a modem issue...Let continue in this current thread here...

Message 10 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

@Mikey94025: Thanks for the pointer. Looks like several folks are having the same problem that I am, so hopefully NG will get the issue fixed soon. As some people with this problem have mentioned, it's irritating, but not critical, and the coverage range and speed mitigates problem this to some degree.

@FURRYe38: Based on the above mentioned post, it really looks more like a router firmware issue than a modem. I'll keep on trying to find a replacement modem (always nice to have a spare), but a standalone ADSL modem seems to be quite rare. Even Netger only shows two, and the technical specs just show "RJ45" for the Ethernet connection, which tells me nothing about the speed.

Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand, you may need to find one with a built in router, however some also offer a bridge mode or mode only mode as a featrue so this will work as well. 

Message 12 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

I tried dealing with the "Can't find server" errors over the past several days, but there are a few other issues with this router. Devices seem to come and go; one minute they're shown on the device list page, and the next they're gone. Not a big deal with iPhones, iWatch, and iPads, but my Brother printer is also a casualty. The solution seems to be that when I want to print I first have to cycle power on the Brother, at which time Orbi sees it (again!) and assigns an IP address. As long as I start printing within a few minutes, all is well. If I delay, the Brother disappears and it's back to the power cycle "solution".

I finally decided to do a factory reset and start over, but even this didn't fix things - same problems with server not found errors and device dropouts. After fighting this for a few hours today I finally gave up, disconnected it, and reverted to my original router and WiFi extenders. Not nearly as good coverage as with the Orbi, but having a slower but reliable network is orders of magnitude better than a fast and unreliable one. Luckily I'm within the return period, so the Orbi goes back tomorrow and I'll continue to wait for a reliable mesh system. A real shame.

Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You didn't get a chance to try a different modem did you.Your modem is of a older generation and also not working at 1000Mbps which is what Orbi supports. I would stil consider your modem a culprit as well. At any rate, sorry it didnt' work out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 26
Thalador
Apprentice

Dealing with exactly the same issue with my RBR750. On with support (had to buy gearhead support) and after 4 days of reset, reset, reset, on/off reset, reset downgrade firmware, upgrade firmware, reset they agreed this morning to RMA my router. I feel as though this is a hardware issue since the older firmware did it as well but we will see

Message 15 of 26
macbates
Aspirant

Thanks for the update. I agree thatr it's definitely a problem with the Orbi, although I'm not sure if it's hardware or software. The problem is certainly not due to a slower modem, unless there's no flow control (hardware or software) or insufficient buffering in the Orbi, which is, once again, an Orbi issue. I never got a response back from Netgear support, which is another reason I returned mine.

If Netgear does acknowledge that there's a problem and fixes it I'll see about trying it again, but if not I'll have to se if there's a mesh network system that has equivalent coverage and good reliability.

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Thalador wrote:

Dealing with exactly the same issue with my RBR750. On with support (had to buy gearhead support) and after 4 days of reset, reset, reset, on/off reset, reset downgrade firmware, upgrade firmware, reset they agreed this morning to RMA my router. I feel as though this is a hardware issue since the older firmware did it as well but we will see

Message 17 of 26
Thalador
Apprentice

It is on current, 3.2.16.6_1.4.4

at&t arris bgw210 modem.

Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You modem already has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

ATT Modems:
https://www.f0il.com/how-to-arris-bgw210-700-modem-router-with-netgear-xr500-router/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-do-I-setup-bridge-mode-in-the-ARRIS-BGW210-700/m-p/1875994...
ATT Dumb Switch Method:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

@Thalador wrote:

It is on current, 3.2.16.6_1.4.4

at&t arris bgw210 modem.

Message 19 of 26
Thalador
Apprentice

Way ahead of you. I had an RBR50 prior and already have my AT&T set to passthrough. No double nat here

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You modem already has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended.

Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try as well, set the ISP modem back to router mode and change the RBR to AP mode and see if the Can't Find Server messages still appear...

Message 21 of 26
2rj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with a brand new Orbi 753.  Every so often following a link will get "server not found".  Very intermittment and no pattern to it that I can see, sometimes its at a site I have never visited before, sometimes its a site I was at an hour ago.  Once happened checking email via pop (at gmail).  

This problem started a day after replacing a TP Link mesh network with the Orbi mesh network.   Negear support has not been of much help, suggested diabling WiFi 6 and going to an older firmware version, neither of which helped.

Message 22 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Armor enabled?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 23 of 26
Thalador
Apprentice

I fixed my issue by getting an RMA AND more importantly not enabling access control. Once I do it all but hoses the system. Disabled it works 100%

Message 24 of 26
Coney129
Aspirant

Solved! So I had the same issue with a new WiFi 6 Orbi RB850 system. I called tech a bunch to try and figure out , downgrading software etc. Turns out it was modem. I had an Orbi RB40 that worked fine prior, but the modem couldn’t handle the new WiFi 6 system. Got the Netgear CM1000 and bingo, solved the problem.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7