Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connected to base unit all report weak signal strength

JeremiahNC
Initiate

Devices connected to base unit all report weak signal strength

I have the Orbi RBR850 base and satellite, both have firmware version 3.2.8.5 with ethernet backhall.  The base unit is connected to CenturyLink 1Gb fiber ONT.  The base unit is located in the concrete basement and all devices connected to it via WiFi show a weak signal strength through the Orbi app, even the devices in the open basement.   Devices on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band are weak, which is strange for devices less than 10 feet away.  Devices on the satellite report signal strength from good to low in the Android app.  

The devices are mainly Nest cameras and smoke detectors connected to the base via WiFi, but the same type of devices are reporting strong signal strenght connected to the satellite.

Any thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices connected to base unit all report weak signal strength

Please move the base RBR unit out from the basement concrete area and place up on a main floor. Concrete and metal will effect wifi signal propagation and performance and is not recommended for the base unit to be placed. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 10
Bandito
Luminary

While the concrete walls of the basement could easily keep the signal from going much further outside of the basement, this doesn't explain why devices that are also in the basement, probably some with direct line-of-sight to the router are reporting weak signal strength.

If this is a brand new system that you've just installed, I would suspect that there may be an antenna problem within the router itself.

Message 3 of 10
McLong
Apprentice

I have the exact same issue and I am not surrounded by concrete. I believe it's a firmware glitch in the orbi app and web gui as a site survey shows excellent signal strength in most locations. This is not the only software glitch I've noticed either. Even standard router features are completely missing. I hope netgear fixes the signal issues and keeps patching the firmware. 

Message 4 of 10
zinca
Guide

Same experience here, devices have strong signal according to device but weak signal icon in Orbi app on Ipad.

Message 5 of 10
JeremiahNC
Initiate

So I figured out what my problem is, the lastest firmware version 3.2.8.5 is reporting low signal strength.  I don't know if it's correct but if I revert back to version 3.2.7.2 my devices report a stronger signal from the Orbi app.  Unfortunately when I checked this morning, my router had auto updated back to 3.2.8.5 and devices connecting to the router (not the satellite) are reporting low signal strength again.  I'll check if there is a way to prevent the router from auto updating or if there is a new beta firmware to try.

Things I tried:

moved the router from the basement to the first floor.  Which meant I had to run a second network cable back to the basement, since everything terminates down there and that's were the fiber comes into the house.  So if you are having network connection run in your new home, have two lines run for each drop.

Moved the router and satelitte to opposite corners of the house for maximize the 30 ft. separation.

Factory reset the router, which of course applied the lastest firmware during setup.

Purchased a new unit to see if it was a weak radio in my current system, so I need to return it.

Finally, applied the previous firmware manually.

Message 6 of 10
Bandito
Luminary

Great troubleshooting!

It sounds like there is an incompatibility between the latest firmware and the app.  As long as you're getting good performance, I wouldn't worry too much about what the app is reporting.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about your experiences here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Let them know what your seeing between the FW versions and Orbi app version. 

@JeremiahNC wrote:

So I figured out what my problem is, the lastest firmware version 3.2.8.5 is reporting low signal strength.  I don't know if it's correct but if I revert back to version 3.2.7.2 my devices report a stronger signal from the Orbi app.  Unfortunately when I checked this morning, my router had auto updated back to 3.2.8.5 and devices connecting to the router (not the satellite) are reporting low signal strength again.  I'll check if there is a way to prevent the router from auto updating or if there is a new beta firmware to try.

Things I tried:

moved the router from the basement to the first floor.  Which meant I had to run a second network cable back to the basement, since everything terminates down there and that's were the fiber comes into the house.  So if you are having network connection run in your new home, have two lines run for each drop.

Moved the router and satelitte to opposite corners of the house for maximize the 30 ft. separation.

Factory reset the router, which of course applied the lastest firmware during setup.

Purchased a new unit to see if it was a weak radio in my current system, so I need to return it.

Finally, applied the previous firmware manually.

Message 8 of 10
JaideepAdhvaryi
Initiate

I have SRR60 Pro and ATT fiber GB plan. Most devices i have are newer windows / mac laptops or iphones. I havre only one SSID to support 2.4 and 5G connections.

I too hv exact issue, devices 10-12 ft away From satellites have so poor signal and speed test show 10-30 mbps. But if i go closer to router, same device speedtest gives 400+ mbps.

I have tested my wired backhaul by connecting laptops to that wired port and easily get 500+ mbps.

So something wrong with satelittes.

Also, i noticed that devices do not move smartly to the closest steonger points. They just hang on to wherever they are connected.

So frustrating. I paid top dollars to get quality product and even have paid support plan and yet netgear takes its own sweet time to respond (no response yet)
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post over in the Orbi Pro for your model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you, 

@JaideepAdhvaryi wrote:
I have SRR60 Pro and ATT fiber GB plan. Most devices i have are newer windows / mac laptops or iphones. I havre only one SSID to support 2.4 and 5G connections.

I too hv exact issue, devices 10-12 ft away From satellites have so poor signal and speed test show 10-30 mbps. But if i go closer to router, same device speedtest gives 400+ mbps.

I have tested my wired backhaul by connecting laptops to that wired port and easily get 500+ mbps.

So something wrong with satelittes.

Also, i noticed that devices do not move smartly to the closest steonger points. They just hang on to wherever they are connected.

So frustrating. I paid top dollars to get quality product and even have paid support plan and yet netgear takes its own sweet time to respond (no response yet)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7