Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent DNS Errors and WiFi Issues

tak1313
Luminary

Yeah, as I've posted (don't remember where), I've owned most every brand of wifi router, and they've ALL had quirks/problems here and there - including Asus (the most recent brand just before getting back into NG).  It seems like NG's 'prowess,' and more imprtantly, support, has declined since I was last into NG stuff.  So much so that when it's time to switch up (again), I don't think it will ever be another NG product.

Message 301 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

Have also had varied experiences here. I used the Velop MX5300 system and that had major problems with the one node on wireless completely not accepted connections from WiFi devices, Nest WiFi was okay but compared to the AX systems the speeds were quite substantially slower. In terms of WiFi 6 mesh it seems there isn't quite the amount of avaialble options yet as there has been with WiFi 5.

Message 302 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

Updated manually to the latest firmware update and the issue seems to still persist. Spoke to Netgear support and so far the agent I spoke to said they are completely unaware of this entire issue. Had completely no WiFi access on some devices this morning either. 

Message 303 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

May not be anything, but are you using ipv6?

Message 304 of 579
zapp7
Star

That's funny, because I've been speaking to support all week about this issue and even sent this forum thread to them.

Buying this Orbi was a huge mistake. I'll never buy Netgear again.
Message 305 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try a factory reset and setup from scratch after updating FW? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@lof wrote:

Updated manually to the latest firmware update and the issue seems to still persist. Spoke to Netgear support and so far the agent I spoke to said they are completely unaware of this entire issue. Had completely no WiFi access on some devices this morning either. 

Message 306 of 579
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@lof wrote:

many have tried this.....it doesn't work

Message 307 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

@zapp7 wrote:
That's funny, because I've been speaking to support all week about this issue and even sent this forum thread to them.

Buying this Orbi was a huge mistake. I'll never buy Netgear again.

This is my issue. How could support possibly not know about this when there's numerous posts about it and god knows how many customers have raised it with them? This thread is now on 16 pages. Support should be acknowledging the issue and providing updates on a fix. They did say there was an update due in April but couldn't confirm whether this was due to be fixed or not which is shocking.

Message 308 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@lof wrote:

Manual resets tried here as well, this is happening to too many people across too many different ISPs and modem combinations for it to be a particular equipment or setup issue outside of the Orbi system. 

Message 309 of 579
vajim
Master

@lof wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@lof wrote:

Manual resets tried here as well, this is happening to too many people across too many different ISPs and modem combinations for it to be a particular equipment or setup issue outside of the Orbi system. 

agree....it's firmware...plane and simple

Message 310 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

Iroinically the first DNS issue this morning was when trying to access Netgear's own site. Support again trying to go through the whole rigmarole, the app crashed also during a livechat. To be charged for that kind of service also after 90 days? A joke. What a dismal, terrible customer experience overall. This had the opportunity to be an excellent product but it has just been utterly ruined by this glaring problem. Admit it and fix it, it's quite simple. To be quite honest, this has been reported since from what I see now late July of last year. If it takes 8 months to not even register this as a problem then I have absolutely 0 confidence in keeping this system. Will be reverting back to my previous setup and likely returning the Netgear soon. 

Message 311 of 579
tak1313
Luminary

@lof wrote:

Spoke to Netgear support and so far the agent I spoke to said they are completely unaware of this entire issue.

...it's in the script...

I HATE when companies feign ignorance about known issues - it's outright lying.

Message 312 of 579
Validus
Luminary

This is still occurring for me, months later.

However, I believe I know the problem and possible solutions.

In regards to my intermittent DNS error message. I'm using the "NETGEAR Orbi RBK853 AX6000 Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System- 3 pack". Still might be different for others?

1) The Netgear Orbi AX series has builtin NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender. Which is great if you wish to use that, but becomes a problem if you don't. I have Kaspersky Internet Security already and don't need it. This feature seems to call out and loop around the DNS request, to check with Netgear Armor for malicious and phishing URLs, etc. Can it not do that, if an opt-out is offered or if it's disabled under the router admin? That loop around causes a DNS delay, even if Netgear Armor is disabled by the looks?

2) A single DNS failure call from a webpage, will be displayed over top, even if the rest of the webpage is loading fine.

As mentioned before...

For even this website: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

It will sometime gives a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" message.

Yet I've narrowed it down to a possible URL it's attempting to load with the webpage:

https://cloud.github.com/downloads/lafeber/world-flags-sprite/flags32.css

Press F12 on your web-browser and look under the networking, refresh the page with CTRL + F5.

You might notice a single or multiple files showing (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

Go to that link directly and you will get the message: 

Hmmm… can't reach this page. Check if there is a typo.
If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

That's the actual valid error.

However, it doesn't matter for the rest of the website that it broke. The rest should load fine and work normally. On almost every other routers and meshes out there that is ignored and skipped over, but with the NetGear Orbi AX it displays that message over top of the entire webpage for at least a few seconds or has you needing to refresh the page to display it.

Message 313 of 579
Validus
Luminary

This is still occurring for me, months later. However, I believe I know the problem and possible solutions.

In regards to my intermittent DNS error message. I'm using the "NETGEAR Orbi RBK853 AX6000 Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System- 3 pack". Still might be different for others?

1) The Netgear Orbi AX series has builtin NETGEAR Armor powered by Bitdefender. Which is great if you wish to use that, but becomes a problem if you don't. I have Kaspersky Internet Security already and don't need it. This feature seems to call out and loop around the DNS request, to check with Netgear Armor for malicious and phishing URLs, etc. Can it not do that, if an opt-out is offered or if it's disabled under the router admin? That loop around causes a DNS delay, even if Netgear Armor is disabled by the looks?

2) A single DNS failure call from a webpage, will be displayed over top, even if the rest of the webpage is loading fine. As mentioned before...

For even this website: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Yet I've narrowed it down to a possible URL it's attempting to load with the webpage:

Press F12 on your web-browser and look under the networking, refresh the page with CTRL + F5. You might notice a single or multiple files showing (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

"Hmmm… can't reach this page. Check if there is a typo.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"

However, it doesn't matter for the rest of the website that it broke. The rest should load fine and work normally. On other routers and meshes out there that is ignored and skipped over, but with the NetGear Orbi AX it displays that message over top of the entire webpage for at least a few seconds or has you needing to refresh the page to display it.

Message 314 of 579
Validus
Luminary

Why is it removing my post? Too big, considered as spam or contains the valid information to fix this problem? Can mods of the website still see it at least?

Message 315 of 579
Validus
Luminary

This is still occurring for me, months later. However, I believe I know the problem and possible solutions.

Message 316 of 579
Validus
Luminary

2) A single DNS failure call from a webpage, will be displayed over top, even if the rest of the webpage is loading fine. As mentioned before...

Press F12 on your web-browser and look under the networking, refresh the page with CTRL + F5.

You might notice a single or multiple files showing (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

However, it doesn't matter for the rest of the website that it broke. The rest should load fine and work normally. On other routers and meshes out there that is ignored and skipped over, but with the NetGear Orbi AX it displays that message over top of the entire webpage for at least a few seconds or has you needing to refresh the page to display it.

Message 317 of 579
Validus
Luminary

(the forum is blocking the rest of my post from here so I'll remove and clean it up to be more friendly to the spam filter)

An entire webpage will sometime gives a "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" message.

Yet I've narrowed it down to just a single URL it's attempting to load within that page.

You might notice a single or multiple files showing (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

That's the actual valid error. However, it doesn't matter for the rest of the website that it broke. The rest should load fine and work normally. The NetGear Orbi AX just displays that message over top of the entire webpage.

Message 318 of 579
Validus
Luminary

2) The forum won't let me post this in details, but is in regards to a single real URL showing "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" being called from a website as a link or script to load in. The Netgear Orbi AX shows this over the entire webpage, when the rest actually loads in fine. Other routers ignore or skip that error as not any issue.

Message 319 of 579
energie
Luminary

In some other post it was indeed mentioned/suggested that Netgears implementation of these kind of software revolve around a DNS hack/modification they applied. It could be a potential reason why the DNS server/firmware is not working proper. However, there are no settings in that regard that will fix this issue. All 'fixes' that revolve around changing settings are aimed at bypassing the DNS server/firmware.

Currently the only thing we pretty much know for sure (based on Telnet data) is that dnsmasq (DNS server/proxy) is not configured properly. Which seems to be the actual root cause to this problem. So Netgear needs to fix their Firmware in one way or another. I still find it very strange that Netgear and even the forum moderators are completly ignoring this issue.

Message 320 of 579
Validus
Luminary

Next time you get that DNS Error Message, look under the web-browser console > networking

Just check if there is a call which shows: (failed) net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Try to go to that link directly and you get the DNS error message, which is a valid one. It never works. So the Netgear AX Router is actually working correctly in that regards, but being over the top in displaying the error message for the entire webpage. As the rest of the webpage can load in just fine.

Message 321 of 579
lof
Guide
Guide

The Netgear Armour system seems to be enabled setup, or from my experience it seemed to be just enabled. Why then doesn't it affect some Orbi AX then, but clearly a large number of people here? 

Message 322 of 579
energie
Luminary

It is not the router displaying the error message. The router DNS server is not working correctly causing the DNS lookup to fail in the browser. This causes the browser to display the error message. The router is not working fine. Depending on the browser you are using, Chrome for example, it will do an automatic reload (do another DNS lookup). The second lookup typically will go fine. If you would use Firefox for example. That browser will not retry automatically to do another lookup. So you are stuck with a correct error message informing you that the DNS lookup failed.

This is also the reason why all workarounds that bypass the router DNS server work. However, we did not buy this router to apply workarounds.

Netgear should fix the DNS server / firmware.

Message 323 of 579
Tobamory
Tutor

Furry thanks for detailed reply.

Orbis are 2 node setup distance is fine between them 2 floor normal semi
Connected to Virgins HUB 4 1 gig pipe Virgin in modem only mode

Channels I’ve tried loads auto mode also disabled 2.4 and 5 and various channels now WIFI I’m or too sure if it’s actually drops or the DNS is the issue. where I’m seeing it is iPhone 12 Pro and PS5, on MAC and PC I just get the dead pages for a split instance refresh and she’s back, however Mac PC are hardwired so DNS will be easier on them WiFi may be more reliant hence why I’m actually having to reboot ps5 to get connection back and turn WiFi on and off on iPhone to get the pages back

Since bobbing back in the old Zyxel setup all’s good, I may this weekend try Orbi AP mode only and suck up the fact that armour was a waste of money

WiFi yes lots of it local but never been an issue with others things I have or setups so I’d hope NETGEAR have intelligence to help detect unsaturated frequencies but not sure

I’ll report back once I’ve done it just can’t face setting up 8 CCTV cams again, I really need to match the static IPs across my systems bahhh

Don’t see any version on email nor can I check as there in their boxes

Email came Friday for RBK850

We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.
Message 324 of 579
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have had Armor enabled on your Orbi system? Was the app disabled on the RBR or from the Armor app? 

If you have lots of wifi neighbors, this can cause some problems. One thing to do is to lower the output of the RBR from 100% to say 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

I use 25% on mine since I have a next door neghbor with a Orbi system as well. I also set manual channels as well. 1 and 40.

@Tobamory wrote:
Furry thanks for detailed reply.

Orbis are 2 node setup distance is fine between them 2 floor normal semi
Connected to Virgins HUB 4 1 gig pipe Virgin in modem only mode

Channels I’ve tried loads auto mode also disabled 2.4 and 5 and various channels now WIFI I’m or too sure if it’s actually drops or the DNS is the issue. where I’m seeing it is iPhone 12 Pro and PS5, on MAC and PC I just get the dead pages for a split instance refresh and she’s back, however Mac PC are hardwired so DNS will be easier on them WiFi may be more reliant hence why I’m actually having to reboot ps5 to get connection back and turn WiFi on and off on iPhone to get the pages back

Since bobbing back in the old Zyxel setup all’s good, I may this weekend try Orbi AP mode only and suck up the fact that armour was a waste of money

WiFi yes lots of it local but never been an issue with others things I have or setups so I’d hope NETGEAR have intelligence to help detect unsaturated frequencies but not sure

I’ll report back once I’ve done it just can’t face setting up 8 CCTV cams again, I really need to match the static IPs across my systems bahhh

Don’t see any version on email nor can I check as there in their boxes

Email came Friday for RBK850

We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.

Message 325 of 579
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7