Aspirant

Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul

Product Details

Router RBR850

Satellite: RBS850
Firmware Version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
GUI Language Version V3.0.0.51_2.1.30.3

Problem

My satellite reports Poor backhaul at 5Ghz, and Good backhaul at 2.4Ghz. On Satellite reboot it first connects on 2.4Ghz - Good, and then a few minutes later switches to 5Ghz - Poor - and sticks with that. My computer is very close to the Satellite. I believe this causes my Zoom & Google Meet calls to drop on and off sometimes. When that happens I cannot browser websites for 5-10 minutes. When I'm next to the Router, the connection is always stable. So I attribute this behavior to Poor backhaul.

On 5Ghz/Poor backhaul - my speeds are 162/158 Mbps (download / upload). But the connection gets unstable 2-3 times a day.

On 2.4Ghz/Good backhaul - my speeds are 69/67 Mbps (download / upload). I think my connection miight be stable if I can get the satellite to stick to this mode. This bandwidth is enough for my video calls.

Question

I don't want to move my Satellite because the 2.4Ghz speeds are good enough (for me), and I have power plug constraints near my work area.

Hence the question – Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul? –preferable via the Orbi admin UI, but even command line is fine if thats the only way.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is there a way to make the Satellite stick with 2.4Ghz backhaul

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

"Orbi systems select backhaul is entirely internal, with no user control of any kind.

Sometimes even a minor change in location can make a difference in WiFi connections, particularly for 5G which is more affected by building materials and obstacles. There could be pipes, HVAC ducts, or appliances that are impeding the 5G signal and could be avoided if the router and satellite are moved just a litle.  It might be worth experimenting with different locations that can be reached from the same electrical outlet.  Many users report success from placing their Orbi units "higher". (There are any number of plastic wall mounts for sale on Amazon.

The best solution, of course, is to connect the router and satellite with ethernet cable."

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7