Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

dwax
Guide

Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

My kids and thier gaming require large downloads from battle.net and Epic games. These downloads are often greater than 100GB.

When they start to download the router RBR850 loses its connection to the internt.  This will occur at 5GHz, 2.4Gz or wired.

I have COX internet with Gigablast

When this occurs I can be logged into the CM1200 cable modem and see that it does not lose any internet conenction.  My internet connection with COX is working fine.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Message 1 of 93

Accepted Solutions
mattcieslewicz
Aspirant

My Orbi 750 is running Firmware Version V4.6.8.2_2.1.9.  Support suggested turning off Armor and that stopped the crashing. Awaiting a real resolution since paying for Armor but having to have it disabled for a game to download from Steam shouldn't be the solution.

View solution in original post

Message 92 of 93

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is Armor or IPv6 enabled on the RBR? 

Check the LAN cable in between the RBR and CM modem. CAT6 is recommended. 

Is the game consoles wire connected to the RBR? or wireless connected? 

How many devices do you have online when the downloads are happening? 

Message 2 of 93
dwax
Guide

Thanks for the reply!

Firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
No Armor or IP6
Brand new short cat6 cable

I’ve tried the game PCs wired, 5ghz, and 2.4ghz. Downloads start at 30-40MB/s and slowly slow down and then the router is inaccessible

We have about 15-20 devices on the net doorbell, thermostats, PCs, voip phone, multiple Amazon echoes
Message 3 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Link Aggregation enabled on the CM modem? It should be disabled. 
Someting to try at a later date if you have a spare LAN cable, enable LAG on the modem and RBR. See if this changes anything.

Something to try as well, if you can, Power OFF the modem and RBR. Connect the game device to the back of the CM modem where the RBR is connected too. Disconnect the RBR. Power ON the modem and game device. Download something check it's operation...

Message 4 of 93
dwax
Guide

So we bypassed the RBR and the 110GB file downloaded without issue.  This definately an ORBI RBR850 issue

Is there a phone number that I can call to get Netgear to try and reproduce this?  Do they monitor this community?

So I could try ORBI>   WAN aggregation (2.5 Gbps + 1 Gbps, LACP-IEEE802.3ad)

CM1200>  Enable (LACP-IEEE 802.3ad) (Port 1 & 2)

I assume I will lose a switch port on the ORBI to amke this happen? 

You would think that a port "capable of handling 2.5GBPS" should nto choke and crash the router.. Its behaving like a failing router to a  denial of service attack.... These downloads are only hitting 35MB/s

Message 5 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@dwax wrote:

So we bypassed the RBR and the 110GB file downloaded without issue.  This definately an ORBI RBR850 issue

Good to know. CM modem is working. 

Is there a phone number that I can call to get Netgear to try and reproduce this?  Do they monitor this community?

Where or what files are you downloading when this happens? Is this a specific site or something on the game device? 

So I could try ORBI>   WAN aggregation (2.5 Gbps + 1 Gbps, LACP-IEEE802.3ad)

CM1200>  Enable (LACP-IEEE 802.3ad) (Port 1 & 2) Yes, Enable LAG on both RBR and CM modem. After you enable these and apply, reboot both CM and RBR and while they reboot, connect up both LAN cables. Then try the download again.

I assume I will lose a switch port on the ORBI to amke this happen? 

No, All other LAN ports are working on the RBR. You may need a additional LAN GB switch if you think you may run out of LAN ports on the RBR. You can use a LAN switch connected to the back of the RBR for additional LAN ports. 

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

You would think that a port "capable of handling 2.5GBPS" should nto choke and crash the router.. Its behaving like a failing router to a  denial of service attack.... These downloads are only hitting 35MB/s

Possible something in handling of these files thru the RBR and the one device maybe causing problems. May need to see if we can capture debug logs from router IP address/debug.htm. I had my two game consoles connected to my RBR850 series and have downloaded many updates and games accross the RBR and my CM1200. Haven't seen this...

Might wanna get you some beta FW to test as well. There is beta available that I'm running...

Message 6 of 93
dwax
Guide

Where or what files are you downloading when this happens? Is this a specific site or something on the game device? 

I have two teenagers and from either of thier desktop PCs they can try upgrading Call of Duty Cold War done through battle.net

Or Fortnite

the games are already installed on thier PCs and these upgrades from within the battle.net or EPIC software distribution systems.

Both boys PCs crashed the OBI router when either conencted through an RBS850 satellite OR directly wired into the ORBI RBR860

I did setup the LAN aggregation and I will see if that helps next time they need to upgrade.

I glanced at the /debug.htm screen and started looking at plyaing with capturign debug logs.   Should I enable both?  

Debug Log Capture

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

Since the main 112GB upgrade completed from the CM1200 I dont know how to try and reproduce such a large download.  My boy no longer needs his software upgrade

Where is the beta kept?  Is there an OPENWRT for this model yet?

Message 7 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@dwax wrote:

I have two teenagers and from either of thier desktop PCs they can try upgrading Call of Duty Cold War done through battle.net

I also have battle.net and have Diablo games from this site. I'll see if I can download the PC version on a new Windows PC I have and see if that game shows anything on mine. I have my 8 series connected to my CM1200 now. I'll see if I can reproduce this. 

Or Fortnite

Do you know if this site has any trial games or can I download the game first with out having to sign up for an account? If I can download the games with out having an account prior to installation, I can help try this.

the games are already installed on thier PCs and these upgrades from within the battle.net or EPIC software distribution systems.

Both boys PCs crashed the OBI router when either conencted through an RBS850 satellite OR directly wired into the ORBI RBR860

What is the mfr of these PC and what is the Mfr and model of the wireless and wired adapters in these PCs? 

I did setup the LAN aggregation and I will see if that helps next time they need to upgrade.

I glanced at the /debug.htm screen and started looking at plyaing with capturign debug logs.   Should I enable both?  Yes, you can enable both. You'll need to capture this soon after the RBR crashes. Or if you can get a more targested log, Enable the logging right before the games are downloaded. 

Debug Log Capture

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

Since the main 112GB upgrade completed from the CM1200 I dont know how to try and reproduce such a large download.  My boy no longer needs his software upgrade

You would have to remove the game from the PC then start a new install of the game on the same PC to see if happens again. 

Where is the beta kept? In a private beta forum that @christian_R will give you access too.

Is there an OPENWRT for this model yet? No.

Message 8 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

Same issue here. RBR750 v4. 6.3.7 CM1200. I thought it was an issue with a device that was connected. The Orbi would go solid purple and my wired and wireless connections would drop. A reboot of the Orbi would fix it for a few minutes. Eventually I would have no issue and it was unexplained. It wasn't until I attempted to download the Cold War 87GB patch on an additional wired PC and the Orvi went solid purple again that I realized it was the download crashing the Orbi. I had been downloading the patch on another wired PC earlier in the day when the issues were first occurring. I've never had this happen during any other download.
Message 9 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@SQUIDWARD360 

Thanks for helping to check this. I recommend both you and @dwax open support tickets with NG support as soon as possible. 

I'll try and pass this on to NG as well. 

@Christian_R 

@Blanca_O 

Message 10 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

I opened ticket 44839819.
Message 11 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm doing a 18Gb new installation of Diablo 3 on my wired Windows 10x PC connected to the RBR850 w v223 beta loaded. 

I installed the battlenet app first then logged into my account. Found that D3 wasn't installed but I can download it since I have the original install DVD as well. Downloading currently at over 200Mpbs. 

I'll report back results...

Message 12 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

NO crashes wtih RBR850 and 18Gb. Though maybe size was not large enough. I don't know. Seem that some of you are seeing this with larger sizes beyond 18Gb. 

I supposed I can try removing CoD:MW from my xbox then have it re-install. I know thats a huge size now days. 

Is this happening on both PC and game consoles? 

@dwax @SQUIDWARD360 

Message 13 of 93
dwax
Guide

We dont have any game consoles.  We have two different PCs that both can crash the router from battle.net (Call of Duty Cold war) or Epic(fortnite).  Jsut last night oen fo the kids purchased a game (Sea of Thieves) from Steam and its download (40GB) crashed the router.

I did start playign with MTU size of the PC and it may have a small influence but it still crashed it Wired or WiFi

https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router

Message 14 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so seeing even 40Gb is crashing. 

I'll try on my xbox as I don't have anything thats much higher than 18Gb for game downloads. I know that MW is over 100Gb so I'll give that a try and see. 

I'm using a beta version of FW so there maybe a difference. 

I've ask NG to get you both the beta to try out. 

@dwax @SQUIDWARD360 

Message 15 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

I started to download a large game on my Xbox and another on Steam (PC) and did not have any issues. I did begin to download a large game on Epic(PC) and it immediately crashed the router. 

Message 16 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

How big are these downloads each and what is the mfr and model# of the ethernet adapter in this one PC? 

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

I started to download a large game on my Xbox and another on Steam (PC) and did not have any issues. I did begin to download a large game on Epic(PC) and it immediately crashed the router. 

Message 17 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How big are these downloads each and what is the mfr and model# of the ethernet adapter in this one PC? 

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

50GB+. I didn't even get a GB downloaded in the Epic store. It was pretty immediate. 

I have a Killer E2500 in my desktop and laptop. 

Message 18 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the ethernet drivers are up to date as well.

Be sure that any QoS/Traffic management features on these cards are disabled. Killer has there own Management features I believe that may interfere with ethernet traffic...

Any chance you have a different Ethernet adapter to test with in the PC?

Message 19 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

I have a USB adapter that I can try when I can let the internet drop.
Message 20 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, would be good to know...

Message 21 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

Using the UGreen USB adapter had the same issue. Router went purple after about 8gb of a 48gb file in the Epic Games Store.
Message 22 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, thanks for letting us know. 

Have you been given access to the beta yet?

Message 23 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

Not that I'm aware of.
Message 24 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, thanks for letting us know. 

Have you been given access to the beta yet?

I received access to the beta firmware and updated the satellites as instructed but I am not receiving a button of YES to install the router firmware. See photoScreenshot 2021-07-22 084504.jpg

Message 25 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 92 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7