Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR850 crashes with large downloads

FURRYe38
Guru

Eeeeks, you updated to v4. Please contact @Christian_R and see what needs to be done for your system. I guess you have the 7 series huh? Theres a known issue for 7 series users upgrading to v4, can't downgrade to v3. Smiley Embarassed

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, thanks for letting us know. 

Have you been given access to the beta yet?

I received access to the beta firmware and updated the satellites as instructed but I am not receiving a button of YES to install the router firmware. See photoScreenshot 2021-07-22 084504.jpg

Message 26 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

Well technically Netgear upgraded me to V4 which I had posted in my original message. I also sent a message to @Christian_R. I'm going to revert back to the original firmware on the satellites while I research purchasing a different manufactures mesh system. 

Message 27 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@dwax You should have access to the beta version. Please let us know any results...

@dwax wrote:

Is there a phone number that I can call to get Netgear to try and reproduce this?  Do they monitor this community?

Where or what files are you downloading when this happens? Is this a specific site or something on the game device? 

I have two teenagers and from either of thier desktop PCs they can try upgrading Call of Duty Cold War done through battle.net

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war

Or Fortnite

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/download

the games are already installed on thier PCs and these upgrades from within the battle.net or EPIC software distribution systems.

Both boys PCs crashed the OBI router when either conencted through an RBS850 satellite OR directly wired into the ORBI RBR860

I did setup the LAN aggregation and I will see if that helps next time they need to upgrade.

I glanced at the /debug.htm screen and started looking at plyaing with capturign debug logs.   Should I enable both?  

Debug Log Capture

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

Since the main 112GB upgrade completed from the CM1200 I dont know how to try and reproduce such a large download.  My boy no longer needs his software upgrade

Where is the beta kept?  Is there an OPENWRT for this model yet?

Message 28 of 93
dwax
Guide

I have downloaded the firmware and I will try it Saturday when I have no meetings or conference calls.

I will let you know

Message 29 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

@SQUIDWARD360 

Just saw this thread in Reddit and this user seems to have been able to downgrade his back to v3 from v4:

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/opcpja/rbr750_2x_rbs750_ethernet_backhaul_doesnt_work/h64tadq...

Something to try and see if you can get yours back to v3, if you can then apply the v3 beta that was given to you...

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

Well technically Netgear upgraded me to V4 which I had posted in my original message. I also sent a message to @Christian_R. I'm going to revert back to the original firmware on the satellites while I research purchasing a different manufactures mesh system. 

Message 31 of 93
dwax
Guide

I found some time inbetweeen my boys playing video games and company meetings and I upgraded the 3 satellites and the router.  So far so good.  I had one of my kids do what previously would have crashed the router and its running fine now.  

@FURRYe38 @Christian_R 

thanks so much for your help.  

Christian try to roll this out asap so you dont lose anyone.  BTW are you on San Jose Plumeria?  Im across the street!!

Message 32 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@dwax wrote:

I found some time inbetweeen my boys playing video games and company meetings and I upgraded the 3 satellites and the router.  So far so good.  I had one of my kids do what previously would have crashed the router and its running fine now.  

@FURRYe38 @Christian_R 

thanks so much for your help.  

Christian try to roll this out asap so you dont lose anyone.  BTW are you on San Jose Plumeria?  Im across the street!!

Message 33 of 93
dwax
Guide

Sorry flase alarm.  It is still happening.  Ill keep working on it and let you know.  Ill probably use a different router and put the RBR in mesh wifi mode only

Message 34 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'll let NG know about this. They may ask for debug logs if thats ok with you.

@dwax wrote:

Sorry flase alarm.  It is still happening.  Ill keep working on it and let you know.  Ill probably use a different router and put the RBR in mesh wifi mode only

Message 35 of 93
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dwax,

Thanks for the update! May you send me a private message with the following info. I'd like for our support team to reach out to you for further investigation. 

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact Time: (including time zone)

Router Serial Number:

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 36 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, So I'm checking on my 850 as well. I removed CoD MW (200Gb) from my xbox and it's re-downloading everything. I just started a 85Gb download of BF1 from Steam on my Windows 10x PC wired, as it's free to play this weekend. There both downloading thru the RBR850 with v223 loaded. 

I'll report results after completion. 

@Christian_R 

Message 37 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Well BF1 on PC installed just fine. No RBR problems so far. 

Message 38 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the new FW it's still happening? 

Did you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch after v223 was loaded? 

Is it only happening from these particular gaming sites? 

Can you test something with a large download from a site, make like MS or Linux where you download something that large? Don't have to pay for anything, even a demo or trial SW. 

Only other possibility would be that the RBR could be faulty. 

Let us know how it works in AP Mode with downloading thru the RBR. 

@dwax wrote:

Message 39 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates or progess on this? 

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

Message 40 of 93
dwax
Guide

I didn’t factory reset. Yeah it was still happening

I ended up giving up and bought a TPLink er605

Much better security.

Still had massive issues getting satelites paired in AP mode. I read all the forum posting on pairing in AP mode and eventually gave up with that, but got the satellites to work by just assigning static IPs to RBR and all RBSs and the disabling DHCP on RBR

Message 41 of 93
dwax
Guide

Nobody ever reached out.  I ended up buyin a new router.  Perfectly stable now.  There are also serious issues with getting the RBR in AP mode and then paring wiht the satellites with these pairing buttons..  I had to do it the old fashion way.  Back to router mode issue there is definatley an issue in RBR.  I have debug logs if you want them.  NG will lose more customers than me if they dont get on top of it.  If NG wants logs they can reach out

Message 42 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you get the beta FW from Christian? 

I'll ask them to reach out to you. 

FYI, I have my 8 series in AP Mode currently. Set up RBR first in router which was already running in router mode. Just changed the SSID name to something different, use same PW. Configured Static IP address for AP mode and applied. Connected the RBR to a NetDuma R1 router thats connected to a CAX80 in modem only mode. After RBR came online, turned on 1 RBS and let it auto sync on it's own as it had been previously synced with the prior SSID. I didn't have to press any buttons to re-sync it. It found the new SSID and connected. Same for 2nd RBS down stairs. Been online since:

Firmware Version: V3.2.18.223_1.4.15

CPU Load: 7.30%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 438 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 8 days 00:41:21

Message 43 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

I have the same issue, when downloading from Google Takeout and large files. 50GB

I can cause the main router to kernel panic and it lights up red

Are other users seeing the red light when they have issues with large file transfers?

Message 44 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What exactly are you doing when this happens? Browser or app or device? 

How are you determining this is a kernal panic? Debug logs? 

I recommend you contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

@jimhayes wrote:

I have the same issue, when downloading from Google Takeout and large files. 50GB

I can cause the main router to kernel panic and it lights up red

Are other users seeing the red light when they have issues with large file transfers?

Message 45 of 93
jimhayes
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? v.3.2.18.1_1.4.14

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Netgear cable modem - details on the ISP don't matter to much, getting 1GB download, 50Meg upload

Safari download of Google Take Out data, 50GB files.  

Debug log show zero, red lights on the main router

All network connectity is dead

Message 46 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of the NG cable modem. Any information IS helpful for troubleshooting. 

Does this happen when you use FireFox or Opera browser? 

I'd recommend you contact NG support and let them know what your seeing. You can reference this thread as well. Ask about the beta that available for the 8 series system and see if this helps any. Possible that  RMA maybe needed. Send them your debug logs as well. 

@jimhayes wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded? v.3.2.18.1_1.4.14

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?  Netgear cable modem - details on the ISP don't matter to much, getting 1GB download, 50Meg upload

Safari download of Google Take Out data, 50GB files.  

Debug log show zero, red lights on the main router

All network connectity is dead

Message 47 of 93
SQUIDWARD360
Guide

The issue with downloading updates from Battle.net and Epic Games store still exists. I've found that it is not only an issue with large downloads. Luckily, both launchers allow you to throttle your speed and keeping it at 10 MB/s seems to keep my router stable but obviously a tenth of the expected speed. So downloading games from Xbox or Playstation isn't really a true test of what is seen here. 

I'm not interested in being a test case for fixing Netgear's products. They've made it so your equipment auto loads the next firmware but extremely difficult to ever roll it back when they've released terrible firmware. 

Message 48 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

What did your suppose case with NG result in? 

@SQUIDWARD360 wrote:

The issue with downloading updates from Battle.net and Epic Games store still exists. I've found that it is not only an issue with large downloads. Luckily, both launchers allow you to throttle your speed and keeping it at 10 MB/s seems to keep my router stable but obviously a tenth of the expected speed. So downloading games from Xbox or Playstation isn't really a true test of what is seen here. 

I'm not interested in being a test case for fixing Netgear's products. They've made it so your equipment auto loads the next firmware but extremely difficult to ever roll it back when they've released terrible firmware. 

Message 49 of 93
dwax
Guide

I used the throttling and decreased it from the max.  It just delayed the router crashing by a little time

Message 50 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 92 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7