Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS850 drops internet - Horrible customer support

K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

Its unacceptable for a product costing as much as this one does.

My sataliete just refuses to connect now so its unplugged sitting there and my speeds are better in my office now without it. I told support that I want hardware sent out as after trying everything I have. ahrd time believing its anything but the Orbi system and being wired up. But we wait till I hear back. 

Message 26 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly to v3? 

I did. both went to v3 then the sataliete refused to connect so now the sataletie is sitting unplugged while I finish the work day out. And my speeds are seemingly better now in my office than they were before. 

Message 27 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, I'll try my RBS out. I didn't get around to downgrading the RBS, I just downgraded the RBR as to see if the downgrade actually worked. 

@K1773rm0nk3y wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you downgrade the RBS first then RBR lastly to v3? 

I did. both went to v3 then the sataliete refused to connect so now the sataletie is sitting unplugged while I finish the work day out. And my speeds are seemingly better now in my office than they were before. 

Message 28 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

Okie dokie, the firmware updated to its current one as that's what level 1 support told me to do after I downgraded it when it dropped signal again in the early afternoon. 

Thank you for all the continued help @FURRYe38 you are seriously helpful 

Message 29 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

So your entires system is back on V4 or just the RBR? 

I'm trying. Smiley Embarassed

@K1773rm0nk3y wrote:

Okie dokie, the firmware updated to its current one as that's what level 1 support told me to do after I downgraded it when it dropped signal again in the early afternoon. 

Thank you for all the continued help @FURRYe38 you are seriously helpful 

Message 30 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

Just the RBR to my knowledge, the RBS is discconected from power as it was not syncing to the RBR. I factory reset it, tried repairing it and it didn't want to connect.  So my guess is the RBS updated when I factory reset it. 

Message 31 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

If the RBR only updated to v4 and the RBS did not update to v4, they maybe still on v3 which would cause them not to sync...

Message 32 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

They are sending me a new router. 

How would I check the Satalite or redo that firmware?

Message 33 of 45
Sneuman42
Aspirant

Are you still under the 3 month warranty or something? I'm not, and have been on hold with Netgear endlessly. TBH, I'm losing my mind over here. Impossible to work with satellites that constantly go up & down. I suppose I could try moving everything back to V3, despite all the online warnings that Netgear does not support

Message 34 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Connect a wired PC to the LAN port of the RBS. Factory reset it by pressing reset button for 15 seconds. No sync button. Leave it for 5 minute. See if the RBS gives the PC a IP address, should be a 192.168.1.something, if you get an IP address, try logging into the RBS at 192.168.1.250 with admin and "password". 

@K1773rm0nk3y wrote:

They are sending me a new router. 

How would I check the Satalite or redo that firmware?

Message 35 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

was able to get it and it wasn't updated. Now it is updated  and connected to the Router wireless. Going to move it back upstairs and plug it in to ethernet which connected both before. We will see what happens next

Message 36 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, that would cause that. I'm going to downgrade my RBS and see how they connect to the RBR on v3. 

@K1773rm0nk3y wrote:

was able to get it and it wasn't updated. Now it is updated  and connected to the Router wireless. Going to move it back upstairs and plug it in to ethernet which connected both before. We will see what happens next

Message 37 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

@Sneuman42 wrote:

Are you still under the 3 month warranty or something? I'm not, and have been on hold with Netgear endlessly. TBH, I'm losing my mind over here. Impossible to work with satellites that constantly go up & down. I suppose I could try moving everything back to V3, despite all the online warnings that Netgear does not support

My router/satalite are just over a year old so and i think i bought the premium service as my last router up and died also netgear after 3 years  so i wanted to be safe

Message 38 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Took me two+ hours but I got both my RBS to connect and sync to the RBR:

Downgraded2v3Hassle.png

This was in same room with the RBR. Status on RBS remained good and RBS eventually turned OFF on front LED. I watched this for about 10 minutes as my roommate talked to me while I was doing this. 

1 BIG thing, make sure the RBS are downgraded to v3 prior to the RBR. Seems like the RBS on v4 don't inhibit the v3 from being downloaded and the YES button is present when you select on the v3 FW file. No work around needed. I had downgraded my RBR prior just to see if the v3 work around worked and it did, but I didn't downgrade my two RBS so I had to re-upgrade the RBR back to v4. RBS played havoc trying to get 1 of them to sync. Had to factory reset the RBR and RBS and walk thru setup wizard and sync the 1 RBS there. Not sure why this one particular RBS wouldn't sync using the sync buttons or RBRs UI. After the RBS were sync long enough I could get to there IPs and downgrade them gracefully to v3. After the FW was sent and the RBS started pulsating WHITE, I powered them OFF. After that I downgraded the RBR back to v3 using the work around. 

I hoped the RBS would resync after the RBR was downgraded. Of course not. Spend another long while trying to get the one to sync. Again, had to factory reset the RBR AND RBS and walk thru the setup wizard and it was found and added there. Sync button or RBR UI would not work. After the one RBS was synced I powered ON the 2nd one and used the sync button on the RBR and RBS. 2nd RBS connected fine. 

I think I had reset the 1 RBS and had not re-synced it back so and then I downgraded the RBR to v3 and having to upgrade again, probably messed everything up. 

I recommend try to not change the SSID name and PW on the RBR prior to downgrading. Keep the same SSID and be sure to downgrade the RBS first prior to the RBR, it should work. 

I did all of this off line from the ISP modem as I didn't want the system re-updating itself and I didn't get a change to go live with it so no online experiences as I ran out of time. I'll try and do some testing this weekend. 

One item I'm bothered by, RBS on V4, if I factory reset either one of my RBS and connect a wired PC to the back and wait 4-5 minutes and don't sync the RBS to the RBR, the wired PC fails to get an IP address from the RBS. Troubling since if the RBS FW gets out of sync with the RBRs FW version and the RBS won't sync, someone can't get into the RBS web page usings it's web page service to update FW. Not sure if anyone else is seeing this. 

@K1773rm0nk3y wrote:

I downgraded to v3 and now my satellite wont sync to the router and it shows up inside the attached devices as a connected device. Nothing seems to fix this issue. it showed blue before then said failed

Message 39 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

So i received my new router, set it up and have had 5 network errors since. So I called netgear and the lady who answered was AMAZING!!!! She informed me that the bug is in 4.16 update and should be fixed by mid October. She advice either downgrading to 4.9 or holding on the next few weeks and dealing with the issue. Hope that helps everyone on this thread . 

Message 40 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

@K1773rm0nk3y Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 41 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

Havent heard or seen anything from Netgear about this update, @FURRYe38 have you seen anything or any betas? The disconnects now appear to be in the evening for me and usually happen within an hour window which is a lot better but not great. Hope they fix this soon. 

Message 42 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

We don't get any information on updates on when or if they are forth coming. Just have to keep an eye on NGs download site. 

You can try downgrading to v3 to see if thats makes things better for you. 

Message 43 of 45
K1773rm0nk3y
Aspirant

Had to resort to my older Linksys as the router dropped connection 6x today, ughh that update needs to come out otherwise this is a $900 paperweight now. 

I did downgrade to 4.6.9 which was the most stable for me but now...oh well 

Message 44 of 45
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try downgrading to v3 to see if thats makes things better for you. 

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7