Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Question on strategy for locating satellite routers

donawalt
Virtuoso

Question on strategy for locating satellite routers

I have a question on the best strategy for placing satellite routers. My main RBR850 router is in the basement...when I go to the first floor to place the satellite, do I place it in an area with a strong signal to help the rest of the floor get a good signal, or an area with a weak signal to shore up the overall signal strength? 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try asking the ISP to maybe move the modem from the basement to the main floor. Or,

Another option would be to have someone help you fish some LAN cable from the basement up to the main floor to a good location for the RBR. 

Yes you can place RBS where there is week signal...30-usally 50 feet distance seem to be a good ball park range between the RBR and RBS. Something you'll have to play with to see how well the RBS connect to the RBR at distances and help fill in wifi where you need. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are bad placements for the RBR. RBR should be on main floor or 2nd level. RBS can be in basements and at opposing ends from the RBR or in dead zones where wifi signal doesn't get to with the RBR. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 2 of 4
donawalt
Virtuoso

So how can I place the router on the main floor when the cable line (and therefore modem) are/come in to the basement? And I think you said, place satellites where there is weak signal?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try asking the ISP to maybe move the modem from the basement to the main floor. Or,

Another option would be to have someone help you fish some LAN cable from the basement up to the main floor to a good location for the RBR. 

Yes you can place RBS where there is week signal...30-usally 50 feet distance seem to be a good ball park range between the RBR and RBS. Something you'll have to play with to see how well the RBS connect to the RBR at distances and help fill in wifi where you need. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7