Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK753S - Need to disable 5g temporarily - tried everything - Firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

notafanoforbi
Aspirant

RBK753S - Need to disable 5g temporarily - tried everything - Firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Purchased the system yesterday. Happy with the speeds.Disappointed with the ability to connect IoT devices.

As a person with a massive background in IT I find this interface absolutely poorly designed.

I have tried debug.htm to enable telnet - does not exist in current firmware

Tried lowering the signal strength... still to strong

There is no disable option for 5G

I understand the backhaul uses a 5g channel but why not seperate that channel and lock it down so someone doesn't kill their sats. Even then if they want to get in and play around and break it, that should be their right, especially at the current price tag.

Does anyone know any other way to throttle, disable, or get into telnet on the the Orbis using FW V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753S - Need to disable 5g temporarily - tried everything - Firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Turn OFF the RBS. 

Change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25% on the RBR. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

Message 2 of 8
notafanoforbi
Aspirant

Re: RBK753S - Need to disable 5g temporarily - tried everything - Firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

I have attempted this, it is not working. I need a way to get into telnet as I believe that the backend config will probably allow me to do more. Really wish they would give users the ability to disable the channel.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand the frustration. I to wish NG would offer the disabling of SSID broadcasts so users can get there IoT devices connected. Shame that IoT mfrs limit there setup software to only 2.4Ghz when 5Ghz is also on the same network. Telnet is not supported any longer on Orbi AX. 

Happen to have a old 2.4ghz router by chance? if you did, you could use this to setup the IoT device using same SSID name and PW as whats set on the Orbi system. Once the IoT device was setup, turn off the other router and the IoT device would migrate to the Orbi system. 

Message 4 of 8
notafanoforbi
Aspirant

I don't have one unfortunately that was my plan. That is my next attempt. Also tried using my spns phone because that is 2.4 only. The device still tries to connect to teh 5g. It poor app planning on one side and bad adv. config development on the other. Frustrating for sure.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The 2.4Ghz only phone will never attempt to connect to the 5Ghz radio. Technically incapable of seeing any 5ghz signals since it doesn't have the hardware to do so. 

Message 6 of 8
notafanoforbi
Aspirant

No I get that, the device we are trying to connect through the phone is attempting the 5g. Again, in IT, database admin. Why I was wondering how to enable telnet. I guess we'll just have to not connect this device right now until I can find another way to do it down the road.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

So the IoT is dual band then? 

Might try disabling AX modem temporarily on the RBR and see.

Be sure to turn OFF the RBS while trying this out. Don't need the IoT trying to connect to the RBS at this point. 

Only other thing you could try is to downgrade the RBR to the older FW that had telnet still on it. I think 3.2.15.25 had it or for sure any version prior to that one. I think it was missing in the UI but one could use the telnetenabler that was out there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-debug-screen-No-Telnet-Option/m-p/1933449

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7