Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 suddenly WIFI speeds down to 3-4mbps vs wired devices 950mpbs - new firmware to blame?

Rogue_Ai
Guide

RBK852 suddenly WIFI speeds down to 3-4mbps vs wired devices 950mpbs - new firmware to blame?

Hi all,

weird behavior from my ORBI RBK852. I have been using this RBR850 with the one RBS850 for over a year. I did see that recently the firmware updated itself to V3.2.18.1_1.4.14. This evening I noticed that all Iphones (12s) and my Macbook Pro get abysmal Wifi performance. All of the devices are on 5Ghz and used to get around 400mbps (I think only one iphone is on Wifi 6, rest is AC). Now all devices only get 3-6mbps. My internet connectivity is not to blame, as the speedtest on the Orbi shows 950mbps and wired devices also get 950mbps in their speed tests. So this is only happening to the WIFI.

I didn't make any changes to the Orbi for months. I rebooted it but that didn't improve speeds.

Is it possible that the new firmware is less stable?

Any advice from the pros?

Message 1 of 3
Rogue_Ai
Guide

Re: RBK852 suddenly WIFI speeds down to 3-4mbps vs wired devices 950mpbs - new firmware to blame?

I was able to fix it but thought I'll post here anyway in case someone else might run into something similar.

So when I looked at the "statistics" page on the router's web interface, I noticed that the packet numbers for the wifi-backhaul could not be correct. There was an appleTV connected to via ethernet cable to the satelitte and streaming YoutubeTV, but the numbers showed close to 0 packets send and received. And the number also didn't change over time.

So all i did was power cycle my satelitte. Once the RBS850 was back up, wifi speed of my laptop and phones went back up to over 400-500mpbs.

Interestingly the Orbi web-interface did not show any problems with the satelitte. It showed "connected to 1 satellite" and on the firmware page it showed what firmware the satelitte was running. 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 suddenly WIFI speeds down to 3-4mbps vs wired devices 950mpbs - new firmware to blame?

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7