Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 not connecting to Samsung TV

anticowboyism
Aspirant

RBR750 not connecting to Samsung TV

Having a new issue with my Orbi RBR750 connecting to my Samsung TV. I have tried everything I can think of (besides factory resetting everything) and would love some new ideas!!

It appears the Orbi is not giving the TV an IP address, or the TV isn't understanding the dhcp response. When I check on the TV ip settings, it connects to the wifi, then doesn't get an IP address, so assigns itself an address in the 169.x.x.x range. I can connect the TV to my phone's hotspot and it gets a proper IP address and works fine.

I have ~25 other devices in the house and all of them get assigned an IP address properly except for the TV. 

I have checked the traceroute and I do not have a double NAT setup. The modem is in bridge mode and the Orbi is getting a public IP on the WAN. 

I have rebooted everything.

I have tried assigning a static IP to the TV in the range of my other devices. I have tried this with an address inside of the dhcp range of the Orbi, and outside of the dhcp range. The TV still doesn't have a connection, and doesn't show up in the Orbi "attached devices" list. 

I would say everything points to a problem with the TV, except I can connect it to my phone hotspot just fine. So my best guess is there is an incompatability between the dhcp server on the Orbi and the software of the TV. Also confusing me is that fact that this is a new issue, after the TV and Orbi have been working fine together for months. 

Any help or further ideas would be greatly appreciated!! 

Message 1 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR. Under basic tab/wireless settings.

Set CTS values to 2347.  Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Contact the Mfr of this TV for additional help and information regarding there product. Ensure the TVs FW is updated as well.

Message 2 of 34
anticowboyism
Aspirant

These settings (disable AX mode, CTS at 2347) slowed down other devices, and did not solve the problem with the TV. It still did not get an IP address. Thanks though.

Message 3 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the Mfr of this TV for additional help and information regarding there product. 

Message 4 of 34
art64
Initiate

I have the same issue with my Orbi 750 and Samsung Smart TV. Problem started with the firmware upgrade to V4.6.3.7_2.0.49.  All other devices (33) in my house work fine, but not the Samsung Smart TV.

I have tried:

1. Samsung TV troubleshooting suggestions, (power cycle, wifi reset, factory reset)

2. Orbi troubleshooting: reboot, factory reset

TV works connected to my iphone 10XR hotspot.

So I took my old Netgear R7900P router and fired up wifi. TV connects fine and works. I ended up putting the R7900P in bridge mode, so as not to have unnecessary interference.

So there is incompatability with the new firmware and the Samsung Smart TV. 

I don't want to go through hassle of downgrading Orbi firmware to V3. Is anyone aware of the settings that are triggering this incompatability with Samsung Smart TV?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/212815...

The system can't be downgraded from v4 to v3.

@art64 wrote:

I have the same issue with my Orbi 750 and Samsung Smart TV. Problem started with the firmware upgrade to V4.6.3.7_2.0.49.  All other devices (33) in my house work fine, but not the Samsung Smart TV.

I have tried:

1. Samsung TV troubleshooting suggestions, (power cycle, wifi reset, factory reset)

2. Orbi troubleshooting: reboot, factory reset

TV works connected to my iphone 10XR hotspot.

So I took my old Netgear R7900P router and fired up wifi. TV connects fine and works. I ended up putting the R7900P in bridge mode, so as not to have unnecessary interference.

So there is incompatability with the new firmware and the Samsung Smart TV. 

I don't want to go through hassle of downgrading Orbi firmware to V3. Is anyone aware of the settings that are triggering this incompatability with Samsung Smart TV?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 34
anticowboyism
Aspirant

I ended up running a hardline to the TV since it is close to my router. The hardline works fine. Still don't know the solution for the wireless, but at least my TV is working.

Message 7 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

As a quick test, disable WPA security on the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS if you have them. See if the TV connects to the OPEN signal at all. 

Then try WPA1 and TPIK then WPA2 and AES only.

Did you check with the mfr of the TV to see if there were any FW udpates for it? 

@anticowboyism wrote:

I ended up running a hardline to the TV since it is close to my router. The hardline works fine. Still don't know the solution for the wireless, but at least my TV is working.

Message 8 of 34
emhines
Aspirant

I am having the same exact problem with my Samsung TV connecting to my RBR750. It all worked fine unitl NetGear did their firmware update and now my Samsung TV won't connect. 

I checked with Samsung and they said that the software was up to date on my TV an dthat it must be the router.

I was able to connect brielfy using the WPS button on the back of the router and connecting it to the TV with the WPS connection.

However this wouldn't last, almost every night I turn the TV off I would have to reconnect using the WPS. I would have to do this every day or every other day. 

Then today it won't even connect using the WPS. 

I've tried everything !!

Netgear need to release some kind of software patch. 

Message 9 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347. Apply changes and reboot everything. 

@emhines wrote:

I am having the same exact problem with my Samsung TV connecting to my RBR750. It all worked fine unitl NetGear did their firmware update and now my Samsung TV won't connect. 

I checked with Samsung and they said that the software was up to date on my TV an dthat it must be the router.

I was able to connect brielfy using the WPS button on the back of the router and connecting it to the TV with the WPS connection.

However this wouldn't last, almost every night I turn the TV off I would have to reconnect using the WPS. I would have to do this every day or every other day. 

Then today it won't even connect using the WPS. 

I've tried everything !!

Netgear need to release some kind of software patch. 

Message 10 of 34
RafS
Apprentice

I do the tech installs in my friends house and after the firmware update to his RBK753, his Samsung TV also fails to connect to his WiFi.  It will connect to the iPhone hotspot if I set one up and to the Xfinity open network that's available but not to the Orbi.  Both the Modem (CM1150V) and the Orbi has been power cycled multiple times and still not able to connect to wifi.  The IP address that is being assigned by the Orbi is not in line with what every other device at the house is getting.  The TV will work fine if it connects to the RBR but once it finds that there is a better connection to the RBS, it jumps to that and the connection gets lost. There has not been a full reset done since they can't do it and I can't make it out there for at least a couple weeks.  We were putting the fault on the TV but obviously that's not the case. 

Message 11 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347. Apply changes and reboot everything. 

It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connectes too. 

Try turning OFF all RBS and check the TV...

@RafS wrote:

I do the tech installs in my friends house and after the firmware update to his RBK753, his Samsung TV also fails to connect to his WiFi.  It will connect to the iPhone hotspot if I set one up and to the Xfinity open network that's available but not to the Orbi.  Both the Modem (CM1150V) and the Orbi has been power cycled multiple times and still not able to connect to wifi.  The IP address that is being assigned by the Orbi is not in line with what every other device at the house is getting.  The TV will work fine if it connects to the RBR but once it finds that there is a better connection to the RBS, it jumps to that and the connection gets lost. There has not been a full reset done since they can't do it and I can't make it out there for at least a couple weeks.  We were putting the fault on the TV but obviously that's not the case. 

Message 12 of 34
RafS
Apprentice

CTS has been been changed to 2347 when issue started with no change.  I will disable AX mode and do the reboot when I finally make it out there.  If that fails, I will erase the RBR and start from scratch and hopefully that helps.  I just wonder how many people will think that something is wrong with their TV's and go out and spend money they don't have to to replace their TV's, which is something my buddy was planning on doing, thinking the network card in the TV went out?

Message 13 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes.

NG is aware of problems on v4 FW...

Message 14 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

I have been having this exact same problem with 1 of my Samsung TV's.  I have tried everything but it just won't stay connected.  Support even sent me the Beta firmware download to try updating the satellite and that didn't work either.  I have assigned a specific IP address to the TV from the router and that doesn't work.  I have changed DNS settings on the TV to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and still nothing.  I know for sure this is a probelm with the system because if I attempt to connect to my phone hotspot the TV connects immediately.  Anyone had anything recent work for them?

Message 15 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR and set CTS values to 2347? 

@cpmassen wrote:

I have been having this exact same problem with 1 of my Samsung TV's.  I have tried everything but it just won't stay connected.  Support even sent me the Beta firmware download to try updating the satellite and that didn't work either.  I have assigned a specific IP address to the TV from the router and that doesn't work.  I have changed DNS settings on the TV to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and still nothing.  I know for sure this is a probelm with the system because if I attempt to connect to my phone hotspot the TV connects immediately.  Anyone had anything recent work for them?

Message 16 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you disable AX mode on the RBR and set CTS values to 2347? 

@cpmassen wrote:

Let me try that now.  Should I keep an assigned IP address and DNS or have those obtain automatically? 

Message 17 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't make a difference if you keep them or not. DNS doesnt' effect the TV connecting to the wifi signal

Message 18 of 34
emhines
Aspirant

No I have basically given up trying, I moved my router and modem and put it behind my TV so I could run a direct network cable.
Until Netgear either issues a firmware patch or a way to roll it back to an earlier firmware it’s just not going to connect. It’s disappointing to I like the Netgear router, but I may have to considering going to a Linksys router instead.
Message 19 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

I made those setting changes and it still will not connect to the Orbi.  Easily still connects to my phone hotspot to ensure the problem isn't with the TV itself.

Message 20 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

As a quick test, turn OFF the RBS. 

Change the wifi security setting on the RBR to OPEN or disable WPA2. 

See if the TV connects to the open SSID signal. 

Re-enable WPA2 after testing. 

@cpmassen wrote:

I made those setting changes and it still will not connect to the Orbi.  Easily still connects to my phone hotspot to ensure the problem isn't with the TV itself.

Message 21 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

As a quick test, turn OFF the RBS. 

Change the wifi security setting on the RBR to OPEN or disable WPA2. 

See if the TV connects to the open SSID signal. 

Re-enable WPA2 after testing. 

@cpmassen wrote:

With the RBS OFF and the wifi secuirty settting on the RBR set to OPEN the TV instantly connected to the open SSID signal.  

Message 22 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

And after reneabling the WPA2 it connected properly.  Should I keep the AX Mode turned off?  I noticed my speeds dropped dramatically after putting in that setting?  What about the CTS setting?  Should it be back to the original number?  Is it safe to plug the satellite back in?  I can't remember what it was origionally. Thanks for all the help so far

Message 23 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. 

Seems like there maybe some security mode handling issue at the TV maybe. 

Re-enable AX mode and see if TV keeps connected. Leave CTS alone for now...

After testing AX mode ON, if TV is still connected, turn on 1 RBS and see. 

Message 24 of 34
cpmassen
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Interesting. 

Seems like there maybe some security mode handling issue at the TV maybe. 

Re-enable AX mode and see if TV keeps connected. Leave CTS alone for now...

After testing AX mode ON, if TV is still connected, turn on 1 RBS and see. 

Ok so right now I have re-enabled AX mode and the TV stayed connected.  After the testing I turned on the 1 RBS and the Samsung TV is still connected to the Orbi Router, it has also conncted to the RBS and maintaining a connection still.  As soon as I turned on the WPA2-PSK [AES] secutiry it lost connection.  I then changed to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and the TV is able to maintain a connection.   Should I change to this security setting even though it is a much weaker security setting to still be able to keep the TV connected until this issue gets sorted out with a firmware update?  Or is there something else I can try?  Thanks again!

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7