Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 and Amazon Alexa and Cisco IP phone

Compguymn
Aspirant

RBR850 and Amazon Alexa and Cisco IP phone

Hi, I have had my Orbi for months now with a Bose soundbar 700 with Alexa and an Amazon Alexa Show. I also have a Cisco IP phone connected to work via vpn. Everything has worked wonderfully for 6 months plus and a week or so ago my phone constantly reregisters, my show will not respond, and my Bose has had to be reconfigured many times after losing Alexa control. Anyone else see this just pop up?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 and Amazon Alexa and Cisco IP phone

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 12
Compguymn
Aspirant

Hi. I’m running an Aaros surfboard 8200 with Mediacom cable 1gb service. Router firmware is 3.2.16.22. I tried auto updating firmware but it doesn’t recognize there is a newer .17 version out there. Home is 3000 sq ft with router on bottom floor northwest corner and RBS on middle floor northeast corner.

I will try your ideas one at a time to see if one may work.

Again nothing in my environment has changed. Firmware was on auto update so that could have changed.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 12
Compguymn
Aspirant

I am updating the firmware mannually today then will monitor. A frustrating situation.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd probably do a factory reset and setup from scratch after the update if the problem continues. 

Message 6 of 12
Compguymn
Aspirant

The test was short lived. The issues are still present. Will have to wait for the weekend when computers are not in use to start from scratch.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.

Message 8 of 12
Compguymn
Aspirant

So this is odd(actually not odd at all). With the updated firmware I changed the default channels on the 5 and 2.4 wireless. I think I picked 44 and 11. My ip Cisco phone would not register at all. I put the channels back to default and everything is working so far. I guess I should have done what I said I would do and only change one thing at a time. I will monitor today working from home. Thanks again for your suggestions

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using now? 

I recommend setting channel 40 on 5Ghz. 36 should not be used...

Message 10 of 12
Compguymn
Aspirant

I am using the default of 48 on 5ghz. Auto on 2.4. I tried 44 and 11 which was bad.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements