Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 - satellite acting as rogue DHCP server

dckiwi
Guide

RBS850 - satellite acting as rogue DHCP server

I have an Orbi Wifi 6 setup (1 router, 2 satellites).

One of the satellites has a wired connection to a switch, which is connected to the router (via an ethernet backhaul) and to other devices.

I've noticed that every couple of days, the other devices connected to the wired network lose their IP address and end up with a 169.x.x.x address. When I reboot the satellite (connected to the same switch as these devices), they receive a valid IP address again.

This leads me to believe that this satellite is somehow interfering with DHCP requests from these other wired devices, which causes them to 'give up' and revert to a 169.x.x.x address.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 - satellite acting as rogue DHCP server

The 169 is a self assigned IP address that devices give themselves if they can't get a connetion to a DHCP service. So the devices are loosing the connection with the DHCP server on the RBR thru the RBS i presume. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@dckiwi wrote:

I have an Orbi Wifi 6 setup (1 router, 2 satellites).

One of the satellites has a wired connection to a switch, which is connected to the router (via an ethernet backhaul) and to other devices.

I've noticed that every couple of days, the other devices connected to the wired network lose their IP address and end up with a 169.x.x.x address. When I reboot the satellite (connected to the same switch as these devices), they receive a valid IP address again.

This leads me to believe that this satellite is somehow interfering with DHCP requests from these other wired devices, which causes them to 'give up' and revert to a 169.x.x.x address.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Message 2 of 5
dckiwi
Guide

Thanks for your reply!

The interesting/puzzling thing is that the devices that are failing to get IP addresses don't need to 'go through' the RBS at all. They are connected to the same switch as the RBS, and that switch is connected to the Ethernet cable that runs to the main Orbi router. The RBS is just plugged into that switch in order to service wifi clients in that area. 

In other words, the DHCP request should go:

cliient -> switch -> main Orbi router.

And yet somehow the RBS that is connected to that same switch is interfering with that request, because when I unplug the RBS the client suddenly gets a valid IP.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 4 of 5
zenzei
Aspirant

I am consistently having issues with self-assigned IPs. Seems to be related to a rogue satellite. Can't tell because the administration interface is remarkably sub-par. It doesn't even let me see a proper DHCP table to see what kind of connectivity is really there.

The firmware upgrade software is also borked. It offers me to upgrade from 4.6.3.9 to 3.2.16.6. And of course, Netgear offers no support for their products so here I am asking you all to see if you can respond for a vendor that charges exorbitant prices for really crappy product.

Finally, I am pretty sure this issue is not something to do with my setup. I have seen reports of this issue all over the place including other friends with Orbi routers that are having similar problems.

Netgear used to be a standard in the industry...now...not so much.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7