Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Selecting higher channels via Telnet on Orbi RBR850

dlange
Aspirant

Selecting higher channels via Telnet on Orbi RBR850

Referencing @a-brittis original / closed thread here. Suggesting the following telnet commands to change the channels used:

// Enable telnet access on your router
http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
check the box to enable telnet

// telnet to your router
telnet 192.168.1.1

// these commands will show your current 5Ghz channel
config get wla_hidden_channel
config get wla_channel

// set new channel
config set wla_hidden_channel=64
config set wla_channel=64

// I'm not sure if the monitor should be disabled or not.  To disable the monitor, use the following command
config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

// commit changes
config commit

// reboot 
reboot

I was able to get Telnet to work on my RBR/S850 by downgrading the firmware to a version from 2019.

However, the "config" commands listed simply do not work as there is no "config" binary, hence resulting in an error message saying:

/bin/ash: config: not found

Any thoughts on what commands to use on RBR/S850 router/satellites?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Selecting higher channels via Telnet on Orbi RBR850

@dlange wrote:

I was able to get Telnet to work on my RBR/S850 by downgrading the firmware to a version from 2019.

In addition, there is a very real possibility that the firmware will update automatically to the current release, eliminating any changes that have been made. A restart will also wipe out changes.

Would be useful to know the reason for wanting to change the 5G WiFi channel.

In most countries, channel 64 is a DFS/TPC channel which must avoid military and weather radar systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

Message 2 of 5
dlange
Aspirant

All lower channels are overcrowded in my area unfortunately. Leading to very slow and constantly dropping connection just 5 meters away from my router.

Right now I even get better speed with the stock router from my internet provider – which is running on higher channels.

I'd like to use the 149-165 5ghz channels, which to my knowledge are not protected (and completely unused in my area).

Otherwise unfortunately I will have to switch from Orbi as it simply can't uphold a stable network right now.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Should help some if you have lots of wifi neighbors nearby. 

Higher Channels can't be changed as Orbi systems default to using the higher channels for the wireless backhaul between the RBR and RBS. This is not user configurable. 

Message 4 of 5
Indths2register
Aspirant

The commands your looking for one logged in via terminal are the following:

nvram show
Displays current configuration

nvram set (config item) (setting)
Sets the function/feature to the option selected

nvram commit
Saves to memory to survive a reboot

If you downgraded to enable telnet verify you have it in the nvram show and do an nvram commit to ensure it survives past reboot or firmware upgrade.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7