× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Setup upgraded firmware RBE970 / RBE971 Firmware Version 9.11.1.1no longer have wifi6

youngek
Aspirant

New Setup upgraded firmware RBE970 / RBE971 Firmware Version 9.11.1.1no longer have wifi6

Hello, 

I setup my orbi WIFI7 network yesterday. Upgraded to the latest firmware. I noticed that I no longer have wifi6 ghz. I see in the wireless setting 2.4 and 5ghz but 6 is missing. I have unplugged both of them for about 5 minutes then plugged in the modem waited for it to fully come up about 3 minutes. Then plugged in my orbi router and waited for it to come up. I have one satellite that is on the other side of the house not to big of a house 2400sqft. coverage seems good. all my devices are wireless. I spoke with tech support yesterday and they do not know why it is not there. Anyone have any thoughts?  

youngek_0-1716581383549.png

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New Setup upgraded firmware RBE970 / RBE971 Firmware Version 9.11.1.1no longer have wifi6

NG removed the separte 6Ghz adjustment from the UI so it's still there, and 6Ghz is running on the main WLAN network along with 2.4 and 5Ghz. Your 6Ghz devices should connect to the 6Ghz signal if they support it and signal is good.  It's all automatic currently.

Message 2 of 13
youngek
Aspirant

Re: New Setup upgraded firmware RBE970 / RBE971 Firmware Version 9.11.1.1no longer have wifi6

My iphone 12 max pro and laptop which has a wifi6 card is getting about 5 to 600dl and from my modem to the orbi its 2.5gb. So that connection is good. its the orbi to my devices it is slower. Am I wrong that I should be seeing at least 1gb dl?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

My iphone 12 Pro Max hasn't seen much over 700-800Mpbs. It's not 6Ghz supporting. 

If your WiFi6 card supports 6Ghz, you should see over 1Gb if the connection and signal quality is good. I know I see near 900Mpbs with my two AX and BE cards I have. But my ISP only has 1Gb support. 

Message 4 of 13
youngek
Aspirant

I just bought to the nighthawk 3000 6E usb nic to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 13
youngek
Aspirant

I got the new nic in the other day and I got new firmware firm NG and it has nit made a difference still averaging around 200-500dl an about the same for upload. I have AT&T fiber 2.5gb. I have setup passthrough mode on the att device even connected with cat 7. And a 2.5gb nic I get 200 down. today I ordered T-Mobile 5g internet for a back up internet and I never paid attention that the Orbi can not do wan failover. So that and with the poor speeds i ended up purchasing eeor WiFi 7 it has the ability to do a backup network as well. I will continue to work with NG to figure out the issue I’m about 3 weeks into this and I must say for the amount of money you spend it’s worse than using the att device. 

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for mentioning the eero Hot Spot Backup scheme.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/8947860842523-What-is-eero-Internet-Backup 

Not what is typically described as a backup WAN connection, but certainly "interesting".

@youngek wrote:

I have AT&T fiber 2.5gb. I have setup passthrough mode on the att device even connected with cat 7. And a 2.5gb nic I get 200 down.

This new network interface is connected to the Orbi router, correct?  (not directly to the AT&T fiber unit.)

Message 8 of 13
youngek
Aspirant

My setup is AT&T BGW320-500 that is setup in ip passthrough mode and WiFi on all bands are turned off. Then I have my Orbi connected to the BGW320-500 and the Orbi is setup in router mode. I have tried multiple network cards WiFi and Ethernet and the speeds are horrible. NG has no idea why and from ATT to Orbi getting 2.4gb down and uploads. Orbi to all my devices about 200-500mbps both ways. My new iPad Pro which is connecting at 6ghz can pull about 700 down and up. Interesting enough that One of the new NICS I got is a Netgear A8000 which is also WiFi 6 and 6E will only connect 2,4ghz and 5ghz and for me to get it on the 6ghz channel I have to be about 10 feet away and it will connect at 6ghz. But still poor download and up load speeds. I work a few days a week from home and when I am on vpn it is painful. I was going to have my house wired with Ethernet but, I thought the Orbi system would be a cheaper option. Tonight I ended up buying the eeor to see how it’s speeds are compared to the NG and with the backup network feature I do not need to buy another router to put in front of the Orbi to handle the second wan port. 

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you updated to this new version of FW? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-7-BE-Mesh-Systems/New-RBE970-RBE971-Firmware-Version-9-12...

WiFi 6 is working for me on this version of FW. 

Message 10 of 13
youngek
Aspirant

Yes, I have the newest firmware and I do have some devices on WiFi 6 my main issue is slow speeds does not matter if I’m wired or wireless. The NG engineers have it now.
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep in contact with NG support then. 

Message 12 of 13
raven_au
Virtuoso

@youngek wrote:
Yes, I have the newest firmware and I do have some devices on WiFi 6 my main issue is slow speeds does not matter if I’m wired or wireless. The NG engineers have it now.

I pretty much went straight to the new firmware when my first reboot resulted in satellites not connecting.

The new firmware fixed that.

I have to say the WiFi throughput is very variable (around 150mbps to 450mbps under download pressure) and at best 20% to 30% less than the BE85!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series