× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 970 - Ethernet Backhaul Switches Back and Forth between wired and wireless

ApexWifi
Tutor

Orbi 970 - Ethernet Backhaul Switches Back and Forth between wired and wireless

New Orbi 970 tripack - Satellites switch between wired backhaul to wireless randomly. Tried every troubleshooting step possible and was only stable for about 6hrs today.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 970 - Ethernet Backhaul Switches Back and Forth between wired and wireless

How are the RBS connected to the RBR?

Directly connected to the back of the RBR? or is there a LAN swtich in between? Brand and model# of the switch?

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 2 of 12
ApexWifi
Tutor

Re: Orbi 970 - Ethernet Backhaul Switches Back and Forth between wired and wireless

I replaced an old orbi rbr50 tripack with the same exact set-up which was working, but slowing down. The router is connected to a Netgear unmanaged switch and the satellites are connected to the switch. One satellite appears to stay in wired status, but the other satellite keeps going back to wireless. All the wires are cat6 which I tested and they are fine. I also replaced the switch in case it was the switch. Everything has been updated and rebooted. 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Brand and model# of the switch?

Is the CAT6 cable UTP or STP. There is a difference.

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 4 of 12
ApexWifi
Tutor

Switch - Netgear GS116NA

Satellites (distance min 30ft probably more)

Size Home: 7k

Cat 6 - I have no idea; home was wired prior to purchase. I will have to check the cable wires at the panel. I understand a difference but not sure how it's relevant. I have never had a problem with residential UTP, but I will look.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

For the 960/970 series, CAT# STP is recommended and best since the ports are all Multi gig ports. 2.5Gb on the two ports and the one 10Gb ports. Speeds higher than 1Gb are more suseptible to line noise if UTP cables are used. Shielded cables helps here. If cabling is not good, then may cause the RBS to flucuate back and forth between wired and wireless as the RBS can't get a stable connection on either route. 

I ran my 970 series when I had it on the main home network and saw nothing like this while it was online. All my home in wall line cabling is CAT6A STP cableing in all and patch cables. Installed my me when new addition was built several years ago. 

If your home in wall cabling was put in prior to your buying it, can only guess that it's NOT CAT6 and probably not STP. Youd need physical access to whats in the all and inspect the cabling to see whats there. 

The GS switch should work ok but would be the bottleneck as it's only rated for 1Gb. To ensure your getting good and max rates speeds that the 970 supports or any newer gen system that supports multi gig speeds, review looking at some MG switches. XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series.

Message 6 of 12
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

I have been scouring the internet trying to figure this out. Turns out, after reading a the online manual for my old linksys switch, the first 8 ports are POE+. I changed my incoming signal to the 9th switch, and re wired the 2 satellites to ports 10 and 11. Showing as wired for the past 4 hours. 

Don't know if its actually the reason, or what was causing my ONE satellite to go from wired to wireless, since they released a FW update today,V9.10.1.4, but nonetheless, this little goose chase seems to have worked out. Hope this helps anyone who may be dealing with the same issue. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would surmise that your switch maybe the culprit. What is the model of that Linksys switch? 

Also what CAT# LAN cable are you using? 

@CaptiveBolt wrote:

I have been scouring the internet trying to figure this out. Turns out, after reading a the online manual for my old linksys switch, the first 8 ports are POE+. I changed my incoming signal to the 9th switch, and re wired the 2 satellites to ports 10 and 11. Showing as wired for the past 4 hours. 

Don't know if its actually the reason, or what was causing my ONE satellite to go from wired to wireless, since they released a FW update today,V9.10.1.4, but nonetheless, this little goose chase seems to have worked out. Hope this helps anyone who may be dealing with the same issue. 

Message 8 of 12
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

It’s a pretty old switch- the linksys lgs116pv2. All my cable is cat5e, my house was built in 2007.

Originally I was using the switch with ports 1,2, and 3-

Setup consisted of fiber/ONT to RB router, then router to bedroom ethernet jack, switch panel jack to switch being fed by router, then patched from switch back into corresponding jacks on central panel that feeds 2 rooms… then Satellites patched to those room wall jacks.

Like the op, I had ONE satellite that would switch from wired to wireless, even after syncing wired.

As I write this, both satellites are still showing as wired- this was after the FW update, and using the same switch but on ports 9, 10, and 11.

Either it is a coincidence, or it is the switch, and FW- or one or the other… lol.

What I can tell you is that I spent 3 days trying to figure it out. I switched the satellites from room to room to test, and it always led back to the one room that was on the number 2 port on the linksys…

Like I mentioned, im not sure if POE + had anything to do with it, perhaps interference? Not sure, but it sure seems like it with my limited network knowledge, because 30 hours later, the wired connection has not faltered at all. Either way, im pretty happy it’s as solid as it has been now.

The online manual mentioned the first 8 ports as having “POE +” I know what “power over Ethernet” is… it mentioned the + which was sort of vague…

Also, this particular switch is unmanaged, but has QOS… seems like a possible issue too… who knows.

I may end up just buying a more recent switch, but for now, it works.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya PoE may have played a role along with being a older and a managed switch. CAT5E though works for 1Gb connections, does not officially support 2.5 or 10Gb connections so you may see issues there. CAT6A STP is recommended for ethernet connection speeds 2.5Gb and above. 

I recommend getting a Netgear GS series 1##/3## non managed switches which support 1Gb if you want to connect the RBS with a 1Gb backhaul. If you want Higher backhaul speeds up to 10Gb, you'll need one of the following that NG has and works well with my system: XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series. NG does have other multi gig switches as well. 

Message 10 of 12
CaptiveBolt
Aspirant

Yeah- thanks for the reply. 1gig is as good as it’s going to get for me…

Our house is 4000 sq ft… and it’s ALL cat5e. Re wiring isn’t really an option… I did try the wireless backhaul, and it was pretty mediocre… everything ran at around 200 mbps, except from the RB router, and only when proximal to it did I get around 500mbps…

The wired backhaul, even though it’s capped at 1gig, has been far and away better than the wireless backhaul…

like most, I don’t even have a wifi 7 device in my house… but I like the latest tech, so when it’s widely available, one less thing to have to buy.

I really do believe after dealing with this, it was the switch… and sadly, I would have still been chasing a ghost had i not taken the time to read the online manual… these things are often hidden to the untrained eye.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, understand that as well. Hard to have in wall cabling changed out. It's possible but takes someone will to get in the walls and fish the new cabling thru. Tedious to say the least. 

Ok, Ya, If the Linksys seems to be working for now, keep it going. If there is any IGMP or GREEN Ethernet features seen on this model switch, disable these two features. If the switch seems to cause problems down the road, consider of the GS series switcheds mentioned to replace it. There fairly cheap to find on shopgoodwill. I've bought a few from them, used and new for less that $20. Amazon has stuff too. 

We would have asked about what was in between the RBS and RBR here in the forums so we would have got you into a direction to take. Glad you found the fix for you though.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series