Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2020 Orbi CBR40 drops internet connection; Wifi fine.

MythicWeather
Aspirant

2020 Orbi CBR40 drops internet connection; Wifi fine.

I have an ORBI CBR40. No sattelites. The orbi is acting as an all-in-one modem + router. Comcast is the cable internet provider.

Orbi worked great for several months. Since mid july it has been experiencing daily issues. The internet connection drops, but the wireless network stays stable. All of the wireless devices are able to connect to the wifi, but there is no internet connection.The router alternates between flashing the downstream light and the upstream light. The ring LED is Magenta.

Things I've already tried:
-Rebooted the router several times (this was occasionally successful but sometimes doesn't work at all)
-Assigned specific wireless channels
-Factory Reset
-Updated from FW 2.3.5 to V2.5.0.8_1.0.8

---Router has not reconnected to internet since this update
----Changed DNS servers to 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1, 8.8.8.8

Things I've noticed:
-The timestamp on the Orbi is wrong. Today is August 8. According to router logs, today is April 16. This seems like an issue but as far as I can tell, the only way to update the time is to connect with an NTP server, which I can't do because there's no internet.
-The disconnection issues seem to be correlated with DHCP IP assignment, or devices connecting to the wireless network. The best uptime was over the weekend when we avoided connecting any computers to the wireless network (phones worked fine).
-The router Event Log has this critical error repeated over and over:
Time Not Established Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC

Any help would be welcome. I'm planning to also start a warranty request.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MythicWeather
Aspirant

Re: 2020 Orbi CBR40 drops internet connection; Wifi fine.

SOLVED IT!

I decided to chat with an Xfinity rep to see if the problem was on their end / a modem problem they could fix. The problem was that the coaxial cable on the wall had come loose. The looseness was not noticeable at all until I touched it. Apparently the cables loosen over time due to vibrations and tension on the cable.

The moral of the story is two fold:

-Trust your customer service reps when they give you  the "is it on, is it plugged in" checklist. The checklist works, and maybe you forgot a step.

-Tighten you cables before sinking hours into router settings.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
MythicWeather
Aspirant

SOLVED IT!

I decided to chat with an Xfinity rep to see if the problem was on their end / a modem problem they could fix. The problem was that the coaxial cable on the wall had come loose. The looseness was not noticeable at all until I touched it. Apparently the cables loosen over time due to vibrations and tension on the cable.

The moral of the story is two fold:

-Trust your customer service reps when they give you  the "is it on, is it plugged in" checklist. The checklist works, and maybe you forgot a step.

-Tighten you cables before sinking hours into router settings.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy, 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7