Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Attached Device List

GWild
Guide

Attached Device List

CBK40 kit ...

Attached Device list seems limited to 7 devices, with no scroll capability. When more than 7 devices connected, only the first 7 to grab IP's are shown.

Separate issue, a suggestion to upgrade the satellite firmware isn't happening because the satelitte isn't recognizing the default password nor the one the master was set to. At least through the 'manual' web interface to it.  I did upgrade firmware  using the 'more or less automatic' update function.

Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Attached Device List

Have you powered OFF the satellite for 10 seconds then back on to see if it re-syncs and you can access the satellites web page and log in. Sometimes it gets out of sync and doesn't receive the information from the CBR. 
If the power cycle doesn't fix this, try a reset on the RBS. Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, hit the black sync button on the CBR then the RBS. Wait for the top led to turn BLUE. Then go off. 

I updated this past weekend on mine. I manually downloaded the FW file and manually sent it to the RBS. 

Message 2 of 32
GWild
Guide

The satellite is chatting with the master - showing connected devices and this machine I am typing on (using satellite as a bridge and slave but not in bridge mode).  Satelitte connects to switch, which other machines connect to.

Capture.JPG

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of this switch? 

I would remove the satellite temporarily from this switch and connect it wirelessly to the CBR. Do this in the same room as the CBR. Once it's connected there. Try the manual FW update with the satellite. 

Message 4 of 32
GWild
Guide

Well - the switch is some generic thing, no clue on model - D-Link branded.  Simple generic 8-port 1GbE - not a smart switch or anything with VN capability that might foul com between host and Orbi slave.  Pretty sure the issue is the satellite has an unknown password; that somehow the master communication over the backchannel doesn't really need to flash FW that way.  But disallows manual login because of crediantial mismatch. 

Message 5 of 32
GWild
Guide

The system looks like this:

cable ----- CABLEMODEM/ROUTER ~~~~~ wireless ~~~~~ SATELLITE ------ wired ----- switch ==== wired network =====

So my computer is connected to the satellite via wire.  The link between Orbi units is wireless. I can connect to the outside world via the satellite ethernet port and wireless ap.  The system works fairly well, actually.  Just discovered I can no longer log into the satellite manually.

(and just discovered I can edit my posts rather than add a stream of them with new info) ...

Message 6 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the satellite for 10 seconds then back on to see if it re-syncs and you can access the satellites web page and log in. Sometimes it gets out of sync and doesn't receive the information from the CBR. 
If the power cycle doesn't fix this, try a reset on the RBS. Factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, hit the black sync button on the CBR then the RBS. Wait for the top led to turn BLUE. Then go off. 

Message 7 of 32
GWild
Guide

I see the satellite log in page (192.168.1.2 in my case).

I enter the user as admin and same password used for the router. 

Login fails and reverts to a blank login promptCapture.JPG

Message 8 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the power cycle or factory reset methods...

Message 9 of 32
GWild
Guide

And yes, I did a full reboot last evening ... waiting the stupid 15 minutes for the router to regain life and start communicating with the satellite and negotiating cable channels ... Too funny, but back in January, except for the fact I had to take a call, I would have been packing the kit up as defective because I was tired of waiting for it the first power on: as it was my 10 minute call added to my 10 minute "It's Dead" conclusion, and provided just enough time for the CBK40 to start functioning.   My prior primary Moto cable modem and Cisco routers boot and connect in well under 5 minutes, as does all of my other networking gear.  I only replaced them to gain a more current hardware set, and the Orbi feature set looked attractive.   I'll pull power plugs later and see if it has any effect - but I'm confident since I see the RBS login page, a reset isn't the issue.  

Message 10 of 32
GWild
Guide

4:20 powered on
4:24 wifi connected, no internet
4:26 RBS20 satellite providing IP, no internet

4:28 Succesful login to CBR40 via RBS20 link - unable to view attached devices with no response from router
4:29 - internet now active, able to see attached devices

However, router has lost device ids ... lol

Attempting to manually update firmware: Unable to log in to RBS20 - Authorization Failure

Since I had already gone through the reset/sync script when I set the system up;  I am doubtful doing again will change the login failure. And by script, I mean following the documentation.

Is there anything odd in the script that needs to be done differently to ensure the CBR40 password is shared with the RBS20 when they sync?  Or is setting the password completely manual?

Message 11 of 32
GWild
Guide

Well .. Just went through the multiple rebbot reset reboot (all on its won) that my router does when I power cycle it.  

So - did the full power off, wait, power on, wait, got ip address, still can .. wait, just lost connectivity, oop, back... wait, just lot connectivity again .... wait, back now... okay selecting manual firmware update RBS and a login screen pops up: failed authorization when using the same credentials as the CBR40.

Insert clip into the RSB20 reset button hole, wait 10 seconds, red LED begins blinking, then shuts off.  LED comes back on, tops lights do weird things (like 12% of men, I'm color blind so whatever it's doing is lost on me). Minutes later I try using the RBS ... get an IP, log into the CBR40 ... selecting Firmware Update gets me a blank screen. Router has lost it's brains and I lose connectivity and wait for router to "find itself" again.  I've seen this before ... when I was first connecting things.   No ipaddress so I do a release/renew ... get my mapped ip. Run Chrome again and log into CBK40 (orbilogin.com)  - Navigate to the Attached devices page... get a waiting whirlygig ... then a broken link - lost connection again (#2). 

I repower the RSB20 ... wait for things to look normal and press sync on the router and sync on the satellite.  Time passes.

Minutes later I try using the RBS ... get an IP, log into the CBR40 ... again I select Firmware Update and get a blank screen. So I wait a while ...  I check a command prompt for a valid IP address and see one.  I run Chrome again and log into CBK40 (orbilogin.com)  - I navigate to the Attached Devices page... get a waiting whirlygig ... then a broken link - lost connection again (#2 - well, #4 at this point). So I wait some more ... this time "recovery" seems faster, and I never lost the IP - router just went blank for a while. 

I log in to the router again. This time (third times a charm) I see attached devices, no drop; I select Firmware Update and then Manual tab, clicking the RBS radial button, then clicking Update ... up pops the login screen from 192.168.1.2 (satellite). I enter admin and my complex password. Not accepted, so I try the factory default admin/password. Authentification failure.

Anyway - logging in, and the Manual Firmware Update does not seem to work when connected via the RBS20 RJ45 connector.  So this is defect #3...

1: missing devices in Attached Device List

2: can't manually update firmware

3; can't log in to RBS20 using CBR40 password, nor using factory default password after a factory reset.

Message 12 of 32
GWild
Guide

Post 11 is after a hard RESET and reSYNC ...

Message 13 of 32
GWild
Guide

Also talked with Indai vie support CHAT ... they argued I should not have to log in to the RBS20 since I already logged in to the CBR40 ... 

So I tried a less secure browser, just in case. I got the same Orbi-mini login pop-up and same login failure.   Maybe I need to regenerate the backchannel admin password ... hmm.

Message 14 of 32
GWild
Guide

Regenerating the backchannel password the issue unchanged.   Makes me a bit angry Netgear Tech Support (in India, I suspect), argued with me about what I am seeing; especially when the manual even says a second login is needed.  Seriously Netgear, find better tech support agents.

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 32
GWild
Guide

Oh - as far as attached devices goes? Looking at a device that logged into the 5GHz band (SSI50), and Orbi is showing it logged into the 2.4G bands (SSI24).  Obviously this part of the firmware was farmed out.

Message 16 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm wondering if the RBS or the entire CBK40 system needs to be replaced or RMAd. Iv'e not seen this issue with mine. If the satellite is not getting admin and PW from the CBR40 after a factory reset and setup from scratch, I would replace the CBK40 system or get it RMAd. 

Message 17 of 32
GWild
Guide

Since the manual hints I need to provide credentials, hard to say it's an RMA event.    The last variable I can think of is I am connecting to the RBS20 via the GbE port, not wireless.  Maybe some lameness in the RBS port switching that sees wired devices as remote rather than local (for security purposes); and I have PA Isolation on, which may also hamper things. Or I need to be connected to the CBR40, not the RBS20 to do the upgrade.  Who knows at this point.

What is very sad in this one Netgear tech said what I was trying to do was impossible. When I got to another tech, and was going through the whole description process again, their website shout down for maintenance.

Message 18 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Regardless if you have reset the CBR40 and RBS20 and setup from scratch, IF the RBS is not getting the new credentials from the CBR40, then the RBS is at fault and needs to be replaced. You can try the wired connection, however the RBS needs to be fully synced wirelessly with the CBR40 first, then connect the LAN cable. 

Try connecting to the CBR40 to see if it will upgrade the FW on the RBS. 

Overall if nothing gets the RBS20 working correctly, it needs to be replaced. 

Message 19 of 32
GWild
Guide

Tried every logoical permutation to log into the RBS20,  they all fail.

Notebook Wifi to CBR40, "connecting" wireless to RBS20 (how I installed the system and updated firmware at initial install)

Desktop wired to RBS20, direct connect

Desktop wired to RBS20, wireless to CBR40, "connecting" wireless back to RBS20

Factory RESET of RBS, before SYNC, Desktop wired to RBS20 - unable to get an IP address from RBS20 ... I did not try manually forcing the desktop IP address to the IP range the RBS should have been in (192.168.1.xxx) since there was no arp provider and no reason to expect one is in the RBS when it doesn't even offer DHCP.

The RBS20 simply will not allow any login using credntials I know; as well as in a factory reset condition (admin/password).

Message 20 of 32
GWild
Guide

For fun: here's part of last nights tech support log:  

-- sidenote: her repeated question "Did you use the orbilogin.com login" begs the question: Is there any other non-web-browser way to log into the Orbi system Netgear isn't telling us about?  Does the phone App have some backdoor that bypasses the http login authentication?

Me
I can't log into the RSB20 using the web interface. It ignores my credentials.
8:33:28 PM
I log into the CBR40, navigate to the MANUAL tab for updating firmware. Then select the satellite, click UPDATE, a login popup appears, I enter admin as the user and my password. I get a autherization failure after two attempots.
8:34:42 PM
Joan B
Oh, I see. Did you use the orbilogin.net to log in to the router first?
8:36:20 PM
Me
If you read what I just typed, please.
8:36:44 PM
Joan B
Sorry, I mean did you use the actual web page to update the modem router and when updating the satellite is ask for another login credentials, is that what you mean? \
8:38:30 PM

At this point I knew that any chance of resolving the issue was near zero.

Message 21 of 32
GWild
Guide

And here's Netgear tech support responding to my complaint the web interface is only showing seven connected devices, even though more are connected.  This is exactly what they said in their response to my complaint:  they went on to ask me to do some silly completely unrelated things with the SSID; and just accepted the router doesn't show connected devices and ignored that was exactly why I contacted them.

Based on the screenshot you provided and the logs. There are MAC address on the Logs that is not listed on the ATTACHED DEVICES.

Those MAC address are:

DHCP IP: (192.168.1.25)] to MAC address EF:BF
DHCP IP: (192.168.1.23)] to MAC address EA:A8

DHCP IP: (192.168.1.20)] to MAC address 18:88
DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address 37:A3,

I can only assume Netgear has no interest is supporting their products.

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

How long have you had the CBK system? 

Short enough you can return it to the place of purchase? 

Try this, factory reset the CBR40. Leave the satelite OFF. After you set up the CBR40 and it's online. Change the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. Change the IP pool size to 192.168.0.100 to .200. Save the settings and reboot your connected PC. If you have other devices connected, reboot them as well. After the CBR40 is online, power On the satellite, when it's pulsating WHITE, hit the sync button on the CBR then on the RBS. 

Does the RBS sync at all here? 

@vkdelta 

Message 23 of 32
GWild
Guide

In reading some of the suggestions in online documents for the CBK40, one thing stands out: Netgear is afraid of people upgrading the router firmware before the satellite firmware.  I may have done that since the paper documents I received made no mention of any order dependency, and the natural order for most updates is do the master first, then update slave devices.

I did the initial update of the CBR and RBS using the web interface, and honestly can't remember the order.  One would think the interface update process would do it 'correctly' ... but with what I am seeing, I now have my doubts. 

A full factory reset is on the todo list.  But I am dubious because the RBS didn't give an IP at the last reset, and there is no reason another reset will change behavior.  But The CBR40 was on, maybe the RSB20 started communications with the CBR40 and locked out the DHCP server.  

And pretty confident Amazon won't replace the units at this point: Jan 22 to March 22 would be 60 days ... hmm, maybe they will replace them.  But this isn't Amazon's fault: that rests entirely on Netgear.

And the thing I was concerned about when all this started: the 7 device limit in the Netgear Attached Devices UI?  Well, Netgear tech support is offering all types of suggestions for everything except the problem.  They've convinced me they know the issue well and refuse to admit the UI is broken.  

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes this has been a known issue with Orbi and upgrading dependencies. The community as a whole has been trying to inform users about upgrading the satellites first, then the main router base. I wish NG would start to put this in there FW release notes and update processes. The satellite does need to be upgraded 1st then the base last. 

Not sure if this will be of any help:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7