Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBK752 Modem is very unstable, can i use just as a router

BG33
Tutor

CBK752 Modem is very unstable, can i use just as a router

I have the CBK752 with one sattelite, when it is working it is great. However, it losses its internet connection almost daily, only way to get it back on is to unplug and plug back in. So, is there a fix or can i buy a different modem and use this orbi just as a router. Never had this problem before switching to this router/modem combo. 

Message 1 of 40
Triggs21
Star

I am having the same issue, why is everyone so quiet about this? Is there no support left in this world. Why is netgear not standing behind their products. This is insane to me....
Message 2 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 11 on 2.4Ghz and  48 channel on 5Ghz.

@BG33 wrote:

I have the CBK752 with one sattelite, when it is working it is great. However, it losses its internet connection almost daily, only way to get it back on is to unplug and plug back in. So, is there a fix or can i buy a different modem and use this orbi just as a router. Never had this problem before switching to this router/modem combo. 

Message 3 of 40
BG33
Tutor

Appreciate the advice. Not sure about a modem connection status page but will check. I also called the help line within 90 days and they had me change the channels from auto, worked for a few days then the daily instability came back.
Since my old modem did not have this issue, can I just set this one to only a router somehow and connect a new modem. Hard to have internet go out when on video calls with clients. Again works perfect and fast, but need to reboot almost everyday. Thanks!
Message 4 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to trouble shoot a bit more to see whats going on. 

If you can give feed back on the questions presented.

Also, 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz on the CBR. 

No the CBR can't work as a router only. 

Message 5 of 40
BG33
Tutor

Thanks again for the response. Yes satellite is more than 30 feet. I need to check the channel settings and will try to take off the ax. There is one WiFi neighbor pretty close. Otherwise the house is fairly secluded.
Message 6 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

Any updates on this? I’m having the same issues
Message 9 of 40
Triggs21
Star

Got rid of orbi and never looked back. Having no probs now.

Message 10 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

Different modem/router combo? Did netgear refund you?
Message 11 of 40
Triggs21
Star

They denied my request for a refund after all the trouble tickets and unsolved issues I had with the 752. Worst most frustrating experience ive ever had with a company.
Message 12 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBK-752-Firmware-updates-CBR750-V4-6...

@BG33 wrote:

Message 13 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

does reverting back to FW v3 actually fix the intermittent wifi issues?

Message 14 of 40
atejwani
Apprentice

Hi RMACare,

I feel your pain. I have the same CBK752 (CBR750 + 1 RBS750). I finally have gotten back to somewhat of the stability and performance, that I had prior to the V4 firmware upgrade pushed to us Aug/Sep 2021. Thanks to a fellow community user who shared the link to beta RBS firmware (V4.6.6.11). 

Direct message me and, if need be, we can jump on a Zoom call. I'm in PST timezone. I can share my experience, provide what has worked for me, and hopeully get you to a better spot.

My head is still spinning - great hardware, horrible Netgear firmware update pushed. And the Netgear support process, or the lack of it. Additionally this quasi semi official Netgear community, where a SuperUser, although trying to be helpful, has been sending me down rabbit holes! I have questioned Netgear's overall customer service channels (Community, Telephone Support, Web Chat, etc.)

I bought CBK752 (CBR750 + 1 RBS750) directly from Netgear in December 2020. Things were awesome till August 2021, when V4 upgrades were pushed to our modem, router and satelite, and since then I have performance dergadation and stability issues. I have several posts ( https://community.netgear.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/898695 ) , also opened up about half a dozen Netgear Support cases. No resolutions, and now I am past the 1 year support.

Thanks,

Al

Message 15 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

Sent you a DM, strong sense of community on these forums! I guess we are all going thru trauma at this point
Message 16 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

i have a call lined up with NG support this afternoon to discuss the intermittent wifi issue (i got the indigo light less than 24 hours after installing the RBS750 beta FW). requested a refund and/or access to the CBR750 beta FW (since i dont think the RBS750 FW has anything to do with the CBR750 disconnecting). anything else i should ask them while i have the senior tech on the line?

Message 17 of 40
atejwani
Apprentice

Message 18 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page. <Have them look at this informaton.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

@rmarcare wrote:

i have a call lined up with NG support this afternoon to discuss the intermittent wifi issue (i got the indigo light less than 24 hours after installing the RBS750 beta FW). requested a refund and/or access to the CBR750 beta FW (since i dont think the RBS750 FW has anything to do with the CBR750 disconnecting). anything else i should ask them while i have the senior tech on the line?

Message 19 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

Connection Status

IP Address73.180.130.232
Subnet Mask255.255.254.0
Default Gateway73.180.130.1
DHCP Server96.113.192.196 
DNS Server75.75.75.75
Lease Obtained0 days,2 Hours,0 Minutes
Lease Expires0 days,1 Hours,9 Minutes
Message 20 of 40
BG33
Tutor

I spoke to Netgear support, did what they said and still same problem. I ended up replacing with a different high end separate Netgear modem and router ax4200 , now works perfect. Clear there is an issue with the cbr750 combo router modem
Message 21 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

did they offer the replacement or did you have to go off and pay out of pocket?

Message 22 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

@rmarcare 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page:

This should look like this:

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked 256 QAM 30 831000000 Hz -1.2 dBmV 37.3 dB 0 0 2 Locked 256 QAM 1 651000000 Hz -1.3 dBmV 36.5 dB 0 0 3 Locked 256 QAM 2 657000000 Hz -1.3 dBmV 36.5 dB 0 0 4 Locked 256 QAM 3 663000000 Hz -1.0 dBmV 36.7 dB 0 0
Message 23 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

circling back on this. my system was up and running for a week and woke up this morning with the router front LED magenta, router back LED off, and satellite back LED green. downstream/upstream channels below:downstreambondedchannels2.JPGupstreambondedchannels2.JPG

Message 24 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

Message 25 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7