CBK752 Modem is very unstable, can i use just as a router

rmarcare
Apprentice

Re: CBK752 Modem is very unstable, can i use just as a router

Message 26 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

1. Power levels seems all over the place and too low I think. 

2. Seeing correct and un-correctables that should be zeros. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

@rmarcare 

Message 27 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

thanks. for clarification, does UP mean up to the modem or is UP an acronym for something?

Message 28 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

From there service box out side up to the modem inside your home. 

Message 29 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

NG support just recommended the same thing:

1) have ISP (xfinity) re-provision the router
2) have ISP technician check cable connections/power levels

Any verbiage you recommend here? I assume xfinity will try to re-provision first before sending a tech out. Thanks

Rob
Message 30 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Have them check everything listed in my last post. 

Be sure to check the Cable Connections page on the CBR750.

I have mine up and saw 1 reboot this morning in person and found some uncorrectables and correctables, these should be zero alwasy. Looking more, I found a loose connection on the input coax line running up to the CBR so I tightened this and rebooted the CBR, Correctables and Uncorrectables are zero now. I'm hoping this was the cause of what I saw this morning and with my cameras going off line since last friday. 

Have the tech ensure cabling and such is in good working order and tight. Limit coax line splitters or remove them. 

@rmarcare wrote:
NG support just recommended the same thing:

1) have ISP (xfinity) re-provision the router
2) have ISP technician check cable connections/power levels

Any verbiage you recommend here? I assume xfinity will try to re-provision first before sending a tech out. Thanks

Rob

Message 31 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

interesting, so you have had the same intermittent wifi issues as well? i have only been able to save the routers debug log not the satellite, which may be another obstacle to overcome (not sure if you have heard this). also, the most recent intermittent wifi issue for me did not include a magenta LED light

Message 32 of 40
atejwani
Apprentice

@FURRYe38@rmarcare  - Or any other community user/moderator that has CBK752 (CBR750 + RBS750) WORKING on V4 firmwares!!!

Can you please clarify,as a baseline:

1. CBR750 - Firmware version
  2. RBS750 - Firmware version
  3. Are 1. & 2. connected wireless or ethernet backhaul?
    • Any configurations modified e.g.
      • Enable/Disable 2.4ghz AX
      • CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)
      • Transmit Power Control
      • Any other setting modified

Thanks in Advance,

Al

Message 33 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I tought it was a wifi issue as my cameras notified me that they went off line then came back. One never got back online and I had to power cycle it off then back ON. This this morning I notcied that the CBR had lost connection, seem to reboot on it's own and was pulsating WHITE. I couldn't log into it's web page until it recovered. I found a few un-correctables and correctables being reported. Made me think that I didn't see this with my CAX80 which I had on prior to putting the CBR online last friday. I checked the coax cable line and I found that I had not fully tightend the barrel connector that lead up to the CBR. After re-tightening this connector and doing a full on reboot, correctables and un-correctables are all zero's now. I'm waiting to see if the cameras still report going off line or not. I'll be checking on this during this week. I may have been thinking it was a wifi issue when it may have been a CBR signal and reboot issue. 

RBS is ethernet connected.

CTS is default factory

Both CBR and RBS are on latest FW versions.

AX mode is enabled on both frequencies. 

Transmit power set to 50% on both radios.

Traffic Meter enabled and set to No Limit. Armor and SPC enabled on trial. 

@rmarcare wrote:

interesting, so you have had the same intermittent wifi issues as well? i have only been able to save the routers debug log not the satellite, which may be another obstacle to overcome (not sure if you have heard this). also, the most recent intermittent wifi issue for me did not include a magenta LED light

Message 34 of 40
atejwani
Apprentice

Thanks for instant reply @FURRYe38 , further follow-up for clarification
Both CBR and RBS are on latest FW versions. (Al - What are the precise version numbers - CBR -V4.6.5.8_2.0.54, RBS -V4.6.7.5 )?
Thanks,
Al
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well I tought it was a wifi issue as my cameras notified me that they went off line then came back. One never got back online and I had to power cycle it off then back ON. This this morning I notcied that the CBR had lost connection, seem to reboot on it's own and was pulsating WHITE. I couldn't log into it's web page until it recovered. I found a few un-correctables and correctables being reported. Made me think that I didn't see this with my CAX80 which I had on prior to putting the CBR online last friday. I checked the coax cable line and I found that I had not fully tightend the barrel connector that lead up to the CBR. After re-tightening this connector and doing a full on reboot, correctables and un-correctables are all zero's now. I'm waiting to see if the cameras still report going off line or not. I'll be checking on this during this week. I may have been thinking it was a wifi issue when it may have been a CBR signal and reboot issue. 

RBS is ethernet connected.

CTS is default factory

Both CBR and RBS are on latest FW versions. (Al - What are the precise version numbers - CBR -V4.6.5.8_2.0.54, RBS -V4.6.7.5 )?

AX mode is enabled on both frequencies. 

Transmit power set to 50% on both radios.

Traffic Meter enabled and set to No Limit. Armor and SPC enabled on trial. 

@rmarcare wrote:

Message 35 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

you put the CBR online last Friday? welcome to the show haha. i have not seen the router reset itself yet, but i guess i wont be surprised if it happens now. NG support said that since have an open ticket and if extends through the 3 month warrantee period that they will still honor the open ticket which is somewhat assuring

Message 36 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

scheduled a tech from ISP to come out in the next couple days. anything specific i should have them focus on?

Message 37 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the line is good and signal up to the CBR is good and you don't see any correctables and uncorrectables on the Cable Connections pages. 

Ensure the line level is good as well and to the ISP specs for ALL channels. 

I'm still seeing my cameras disconnect since I checked the CBR last and the last reboot that I saw. I'm not at a home currently and won't be able to check the CBR till Friday. Other than this, no conplaints from anyone else. 

@rmarcare wrote:

scheduled a tech from ISP to come out in the next couple days. anything specific i should have them focus on?

Message 38 of 40
rmarcare
Apprentice

ISP came and checked out the lines. They said everything was normal, but did remove a couple splitters and replaced the coax cable from the wall to the modem. When I plugged the CBR back in, initial readings for downstream and upstream power levels were normal. However, over the course of the day, the magenta light came back twice.

This time, magenta light came on and we lost internet for about 30-60 seconds, but then it came back on it's own. I did not have to reboot or unplug the modem to get internet back. Now, the downstream power is low again, but the upstream power is still normal. Still getting a lot of correctables and uncorrectables, which the tech didn't have an explanation for.

Message 39 of 40
FURRYe38
Guru

Well seems like either something on the ISP signal line is happening or possible the CBR could be faulty. Seems like this is a signal problem on the line. 

I think one way to check this would be to get another ISP modem, get one from the ISP and rent it for a couple of weeks. IF you notice same thing or similar problems with ISP modem, then it would be a ISP problem they need to check into. If the different modem doesn't exhibit any problems, then there maybe a problem with the CBR750. 

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7