Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBK752 frequent drops and loss of Internet

Kelitk79
Aspirant

CBK752 frequent drops and loss of Internet

I recently upgrade to the brand new Orbi CBK752 Cable Modem/router and Mesh Router. I previously had a surfboard Docsis 3.1 modem and linksys ea9300 router. Living in a two story house I found myself without connections in my furthers bedrooms. Upgrade to the Orbi was something I wanted to do for awhile. With my old system I never if ever experienced drops with my kids Xbox(s) or my PC all on the second story. 

Two days ago I upgraded to the Orbi and have had at least 5 or more drops with my kids Xbox(s) and 3 times on my PC. I've had at least 3 times where the network drops and states there is no Internet. I did some minor research and changed the CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 but that didn't seem to help much. My Event log shows some warning/critical errors that I don't understand. For $600 system I shouldn't be having to deal with this when my previous setup worked fine minutes the distance the network reached. Any help would be great.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBK752 frequent drops and loss of Internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is the drops happening with both wired and wireless devices? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 7
Kelitk79
Aspirant

Hello,

What Firmware version is currently loaded:

Router CBR750: v3.2.16.9, Satellite RBS 750 v3.2.16.6 (no updates)

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

1800sq ft

What is the distance between the router and devices? 

Xbox(s), PC, Smart TV are between 15 to 30 feet away from the Satellite

Is the drops happening with both wired and wireless devices?

Drop only happens on the wireless devices on the 2nd floor. Tv on the first floor that is "Wired" does not lose connection.

Where in the home is the CBR located? Main or 1st floor centrally is recommended:

CBR is on the first floor.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
I have implemented these changes and will follow up after testing the network. 

Message 3 of 7
Kelitk79
Aspirant

Well, I have had only 2 drops that I"m aware of after implementing your suggestions, so still not acceptable for a $600 setup .

Also, both my kids Xboxs are now getting Strict NAT Types and Double NAT detected which is impacting their ability to play.

I found the following link and was curious if this could be done on an Orbi Mesh setup and if so, how. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19844/Why-does-my-Xbox-say-NAT-is-set-to-strict-or-moderate-when-I-try-to-pla...

Or if you have a more updated fix that would help with the drops, Open the NAT and clear the Double NAT error that would be great. Or I'll be force to return this.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try the system with out the RBS as well to see if the problem comes at the CBR or not...

Is there a NAT Filter option under Advanced Tab/Wan Setup? 

IF there is, change it to OPEN. 

Message 5 of 7
fstarne
Aspirant

I am also having some issues with devices connected to the satellites like dropped connections and buffering while streaming.  Rebooting the satellites a couple times a week seems to help but is an unacceptable solution.

Since this is a brand new product I am willing to wait for some firmware updates to see if they can resolve these issues.  If not I'll be going back to my C7800 which was pretty good at covering my entire house. 

I didnt have to pay anything for my CBK752 so I am not out any money on this deal or else it would have gone back immediatly but I know the frustration you are feeling.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@fstarne wrote:

I am also having some issues with devices connected to the satellites like dropped connections and buffering while streaming.  Rebooting the satellites a couple times a week seems to help but is an unacceptable solution.

Since this is a brand new product I am willing to wait for some firmware updates to see if they can resolve these issues.  If not I'll be going back to my C7800 which was pretty good at covering my entire house. 

I didnt have to pay anything for my CBK752 so I am not out any money on this deal or else it would have gone back immediatly but I know the frustration you are feeling.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7