Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR 750 Ethernet Connection Issues

masloco
Aspirant

CBR 750 Ethernet Connection Issues

We just got the new Orbi CBR 750 Cable Modem Router. WiFi is spot on, strong, fast coverage...

BUT...

I like my desktop 2019 27" iMac running Catalina 10.15.7 (if that matters) to be wired via ethernet. It will not connect to the internet in this configuration. As a check, I also tried wiring a 2012 MacBook Pro via ethernet and got the same results. On both machines when WiFi was turned off, the ethernet connection didn't work AND when WiFi was turned on (with ethernet cable in place) it wouldn't work. Unplug the ethernet cable and WiFi works like a champ. From the Orbi dashboard it shows the wired connection, the computer recognizes it's connected via ethernet, but when I try to go to any web page or go online in any fashion (email), nothing happens. No error messages, nothing. The "status" bar in Safari moves about an inch then stops and never moves again.

We've had the set up for 3 days now, so I still get free tech support...which I called and didn't get anywhere. They were very nice and tried, but to no avail. A senior tech is supposed to call back after the Thanksgiving weekend...but this is the kind of stuff that will drive me nuts until resolved.

The latest firmware is in place.

I didn't change ISPs or anything else...just got the new gizmo.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
masloco
Aspirant

Re: CBR 750 Ethernet Connection Issues

Problem solved? I went into to network preferences on the Mac and added the correct DNS address, hit apply, restarted, & BAM! Working! Odd that it would be that way to begin with, but fingers crossed.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When you connected the Apples devices, did you disable the wifi radio on the devices? 

When you connected the ethernet cable to the devices, did you check to see if the adapter got a IP address and DNS addresses from the CBR? 

Ensure no static IP address configurations are set on the devices. 

Be sure the ethernet cable is of good quality. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 2 of 10
masloco
Aspirant

* A NEW WRINKLE HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE "SITUATION"....

I hadn't thought to try this previously, but I just connected another iMac to the the Orbi satellite via ethernet. Works like a champ.

I'm as far from expert on this as is possible and still possess oposable thumbs, but I noticed the DNS server listed under ethernet was different between the modem/router & the satellite. The modem router is xxx.xxx.0.1 and the satellite is xxx.xxx.1.1 (also the Wifi DNS server listed was xxx.xxx.1.x

Message 3 of 10
masloco
Aspirant

I tried both disabling WiFi, and not disabling Wifi...neither way worked.

Please see my follow up post. Ethernet is working from the satellite, not from the main unit. The DNS addresses are different on the main units ethernet and wifi configurations.

Message 4 of 10
masloco
Aspirant

Problem solved? I went into to network preferences on the Mac and added the correct DNS address, hit apply, restarted, & BAM! Working! Odd that it would be that way to begin with, but fingers crossed.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You should remove any of the configurations from the Mac Networking area and let the Mac reconfigure the settings. 

The DNS should be .0.1 coming from the CBR which is default for the CBR portion of the system. Have you set up the CBR from scratch with a wired PC and let it connect to the ISP service. I believe default IP address for the CBR is 192.168.0.1 which will be used as default DNS addresses connected client devices including the RBS. 

Message 6 of 10
masloco
Aspirant

It didn't work with 192.168.0.1. It does work with 192.168.1.1. Go slow, give me the "For Dummies"  version of why I should revert to the not working version. Will it cause some sort of other problem? The router address is 192.168.1.1

I didn't remove the .0.1 address, I just added the .1.1 address. 

Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so the CBR is using .1.1. Then don't use .0.1, use .1.1. 

Message 8 of 10
masloco
Aspirant

Ok, thanks. I'm usually not a fan of this type of "conversation", I always feel as if I'm being confrontational...I am not. I am/was truly curious as to what difference it would make or what problems it might cause. Thanks again for the replies and help.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

No worries. Nothing out of context here. I remembered that NG I believe now uses .1.1 on Orbi Gateways, where on there C series modems, I believe they use .0.1 as tehre default address. So your good to go with .1.1. 

Of course, you don't always have to use .1.1. You can change this if needed. I use .0.1 for my needs here for years. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7