Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR40/RBS20 Just got an update I did not install

GWild
Guide

CBR40/RBS20 Just got an update I did not install

Yesterday I was playing with a new device, and was looking at the router attached device list a lot.

Today - I went in to check if that new device was at the proper IP address... and found my router has an entirely new UI for attached devices, and it has scrambled my settings for devices. For example, I do not own an Apple Desktop, yet that is what the CBR40 now thinks I am using.  My phones, tablets, and all related icons have gone from reasonable facsimilies to stick drawings of devices. 

This is clearly a pushed update to the router - and in no way shape or form have I ever agreed to let an outside agency touch my communications equipement (except the ISP - which I am afraid requires it, and their access to the cable modem port can't be turned off in any case).  But the ISP will only affect the cable modem aka WAN interface; they wouldn't be mucking around in the LAN or WLAN areas (they don't have a password nor is remote management enabled).

So it is down to Netgear pushing an update on me.  That is ludicrous.  How do I revert to yesterdays config?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 12
GWild
Guide

Here's what the new icons look like ... and the fact they changed all of my entries ... wow.

Message 2 of 12
GWild
Guide

It gets better: all of my logs now have new and different information showing. 

So the router DEFINITELY received a pushed firmware update I did NOT approve nor was I even made aware of it.

Message 3 of 12
GWild
Guide

And now, deep in the new logs (all of my old log data is gone): Note the gap between today and September 14, 2020... lmao.  I wasn't planning on a new router but this is beyond irresponsible behavior from Netgear.

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.27)] to MAC address F8:DA:0C:66:51:D9, Wednesday, Nov 04,2020 19:35:47
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, Nov 04,2020 19:35:43
[Internet connected] IP address: 16X.X.XXX.1XX, Monday, Sep 14,2020 23:21:58
[Internet disconnected] Monday, Sep 14,2020 23:21:57
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.5.0.14_1.0.8] Monday, Sep 14,2020 23:21:54

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 5 of 12
GWild
Guide

I last flashed firmware back in September.  Everything was working just fine until this morning when everything changed while I was out fishing (asleep - in bed).

That log shows the last firmware update and ALL logged activity between that update and today. Did you notice the gap in time? 

As a data point, the router and slave have been power cycled several times since the last update - power outages, and one or two forced resets due to config issues on clients.  

As for a complete clear and reintering all of the SSID defines and reservation criteria? Does reset to factory and reloading a config file count?

What part of "This happened today - and I did nothing to cause it." am I not getting clear?   I know this is a peer forum, but I was hoping to find out this sort of pushed update is normal behavior, or if it sounds abnormal. These days, I'm thinking a company might actually do this to users, despite what I'd think is a hands-off policy to infrastructure inside another company. But I guess that doesn't stop Google, Apple, and a few other less than ethical companies.

Message 6 of 12
GWild
Guide

As a post script: I know they can push an update, just as they now push ads to the router status page. No - I do not want to buy Norton Security this week. No, I do not want to buy Symantex Security next week. No, I do not want to sign up for Netgear Pro Support today...

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 12
GWild
Guide

Does reset to factory and reloading a config file count? 

That is, afterall, a prescribed and acceptable method - one that Netgear promotes.  Otherwise, what use is a config file and why is the option to save one even there?  Or, are you saying that doesn't work?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset clears any and all user configurations from the system is all. 
You can make a back up configuration to file on the CBR under Advanced tab/Administration/Backup. 

Message 10 of 12
GWild
Guide

I'll take it you aren't aware of Netgear pushing a new UI out to CBR40 kits.

Here's part of the change - in the attached image: plus, the entire lookup table for what devices are connected was rewritten, so a PC became a Mac, Blu-Ray players became DVD players, and all of my crafted device names were erased.  Oddly, while the names of all the devices in my IP reservations were changed, the ip addresses stayed where I left them.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm aware of NG does push FW sometimes to Orbi systems. Happens on other Orbi systems as well.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7