Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 - Slow and unresponsive web GUI, bad data in App

Urajah
Aspirant

CBR40 - Slow and unresponsive web GUI, bad data in App

We moved into a new house in 2019 and I ordered cable internet and purchased an Orbi CBR40 and a satellite for coverage throughout the house.

Since day one the web GUI on my CBR40 has always been slow to respond, hard to manage and at times has presented bad/incorrect data about connected devices. I overlooked the GUI issues and focused the first few months on intial setup and troubleshooting trying to get optimal backhaul wireless signal coverage between the router/base unit and the satellite. We had a new arrival in the house and I finally gave up and repurposed some existing cable in the house to set up a hardwired connection between the base and satellite. This resolved backhaul issues and provided 'acceptable' connectivity throughout the house, but the Orbi router continued to be difficult to manage through the GUI and the Android App would also show incorrect connection information for devices on the network (when it worked). The App would show wired connections to the satellite for devices that were either hardwired to the router or connected over wireless network. When I could find time to focus on it again, it was well outside of the support/return period so I put up with the issues. During my troubleshooting I did two full factory resets and rebuilds and a firmware reload hoping it was a software or config issue. No change to overall poor behavior.

My primary issue is that I think something is wrong with the router which I have always just assumed was a "poorly built software application/firmware" and tried to work around it to keep things going. Recently it has become untenable due to additional complexity added to my network. I have to reboot the router at least weekly to 'repair' a dead internet connection and the web GUI is becoming less and less responsive. Today after a reboot most of the menu screens now show "x.x.x.x didn't send any data", including the cable status page. I regularly checked the logs for issues on the cable side and it never reported critical or significant issues except for a couple of times when Comcast service DID drop out.

This is outside of the initial support/warranty window and I'm frustrated enough now to replace the whole setup. What options are there for support (paid or not) to replace the unit? Is this truly defective behavior? I could swap out with another similar Orbi setup or another system and wanted to ask the community if this is "normal"? Does the Web GUI usually run slowly, take 5-10 seconds to load device data, does the App sometimes show bad connection data or do I have a defective unit and a replacement will resolve these issues? I'm torn between replacing with same hardware, breaking down and using a Comcast router and extender, or another mesh/router system. 

Thanks for reading all this. It was cathartic.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR40 - Slow and unresponsive web GUI, bad data in App

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What browser are you using with the CBRs web page? 

Is the RBS wireless or wire connected to the CBR? 

Message 2 of 4
Urajah
Aspirant

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet? 

As mentioned in the post, I have factory reset the router twice and rebuilt and even reloaded a prior firmware and then upgraded. Even 'fresh out of the box' after factory reset the web GUI is very slow to load data. No change in behavior after any of those steps.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

The latest - V2.5.0.24_1.0.8

What browser are you using with the CBRs web page? 

I have tried it with Chrome, Firefox and Edge. With minor differences in each browser, the overall slow response, data load issues and bad data persist. I have only tried it with Chrome since the reboot this morning which has been giving me the "didn't send any data" error.

Is the RBS wireless or wire connected to the CBR? 

The satellite is connected by Cat5e cable to the CBR. I used my line tester to confirm the ethernet run is 100% error free.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you downgrade to this version of FW? v2.1.3.14

After applying, factory reset, do not setup any Armor or Circle support. Do not load any backup config files or re-update to lastest FW. Just leave v14 on. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7