Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 and RBS40V not getting along

Nufernandes
Aspirant

CBR40 and RBS40V not getting along

I have the CBR40 in the living room, and the RBS40V in my office upstairs. Everything is perfect with coverage and speed except.... if I want to share files across my laptop wireless (win7) and my desktop (win10) wired they both have to be connected to the same orbi. If my laptop is upstairs it connects to the RBS40V and I can share files. If I bring the laptop downstairs, I can no longer share files because the laptop connects to the CBR40 instead. Is there a fix for this?
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Nufernandes
Aspirant

Re: CBR40 and RBS40V not getting along

Disabled the beamforming and it's working now. Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
Nufernandes
Aspirant

The cable modem/router is on the first floor, and the RBS40V is upstairs. 4000 sq ft home. Wireless coverage is never an issue. The only problem is when I try to share files. If I take my laptop upstairs where the wired computer is connected to the RBS40V and go online, I can share files locally... if I come downstairs, and the laptop connects to the router instead of the RBS40V I can not share files.

No neighbors for 3/4 of a mile... I'm on auto for the channel setting, but I'll try to play with the other settings you suggested.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. You may want to open a support ticket about this as well if the suggestions fail to resolve this.

Message 4 of 8
Nufernandes
Aspirant

Disabled the beamforming and it's working now. Thanks
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting that beamforming is causing this. Might let NG know about that. 

@Blanca 

@vkdelta 

Message 6 of 8
Nufernandes
Aspirant

Didnt change any other setting.
Sharing files is no longer an issue, regardless of which satellite the lap top is connected to
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting for sure. Wonder why beamforming would be blocking traffic like this on the LAN side of things. 

Please let NG know about this. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7