Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR40 and RBS50Y issues

WatchTimes
Aspirant

CBR40 and RBS50Y issues

I just purchased the CBR40 8/22 from Best Buy which included the RBS20

The other day I ordered the RBS50Y from Amazon.

I am unable to get it to work properly.

I go through the pairing instructions and all works well and after a couple minutes my network goes completely down, says the cable modem is down, my RBS50Y and my RBS20 go Magenta,  The RBS50Y is 15 feet from the router and 10 feet from the RBS20 (the RBS20 is in the same location it was working fine prior to the RBS50Y being hooked up.

I tried unplugging and starting over, same problem.

I disconnected the RBS20 and still the same problem.  

I reconnected the RBS20 and disconnecte the RBS50Y and my network works fine again???  

Any suggestions?  

The RBS50Y is closer to the router when this is happening and I have a very strong wifi signal in that spot (when RBS50Y is not connected)

Message 1 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the CBK system and RBY satellite?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 27
AbiPaul
Aspirant

Sorry to junp in on this thread but this is a challenge that I have been having as well.  I bought the CBR40 with a RBS20 satellite  over the summer and decided to buy the RBS50Y satellite which I just recieved yesterday.  I believe I set it up as per the instructions and the light turned blue showing that it successfully synced.  but then the light went out and it turned Magenta meaning it failed to sync.  I did not move it and it is a foot or 2 from the CBR40.  Then the internet went down and I unplugged the RBS50Y and rebooted the CBR40 and the internet came back on.  This morning I took the RBS50Y outside and pluged it in, let it go through the startup and it turned blue than off then magenta.  

The CBR40 is running on FR V2.1.4.6.

The RBS50Y is running on FR V2.2.1.204

The RBS20 is running on FR V2.2.1.210

The home is about 3000sqft

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. However even if the RBSY is not sycing close the router for initial set up, something isnt' working right...

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If non of the suggestions work, you make want to contact NG support and let them know...

@vkdelta

@Christian_R

@AbiPaul wrote:

Sorry to junp in on this thread but this is a challenge that I have been having as well.  I bought the CBR40 with a RBS20 satellite  over the summer and decided to buy the RBS50Y satellite which I just recieved yesterday.  I believe I set it up as per the instructions and the light turned blue showing that it successfully synced.  but then the light went out and it turned Magenta meaning it failed to sync.  I did not move it and it is a foot or 2 from the CBR40.  Then the internet went down and I unplugged the RBS50Y and rebooted the CBR40 and the internet came back on.  This morning I took the RBS50Y outside and pluged it in, let it go through the startup and it turned blue than off then magenta.  

The CBR40 is running on FR V2.1.4.6.

The RBS50Y is running on FR V2.2.1.204

The RBS20 is running on FR V2.2.1.210

The home is about 3000sqft

Message 4 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

I have Comcast internet

CBR40 is running 2.1.4.6

RBS20 is running 2.2.1.210

As for the RBS50Y I cant really tell you, it shut down my wireless network quickly.  

See has another user has reported the exact same issue with the exact same equipment I think this is something on the NG end.

I went with the Orbi as its more or less supposed to be Plug n Play and idiot proof for people like me but its not feeling that way right now...

Distance I dont see how it could be a factor as I have not moved anything any it was working fine before.

The issue only happens when the RBS50Y is plugged in and its 2 feet away from the Router when this is happening.

Message 5 of 27
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@WatchTimes

1. What do you observe when you connect RBS50Y? 

2. Is it possible for you capture the wireless logs via debug.htm page? 

3. What do you mean "shut down" wireless? 

yes, Orbi is supposed to be idiot proof. it is supposed to "just work". 

Message 6 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

Same as the other person. Flashing white. White and solid blue. After a minute or so it goes orange and then solid magenta. Stays at Magenta. My wireless network is undetectable via any of my wireless devices and when it does come back it’s magenta and says I’m not connected to the internet. I remove the 50 and all is well again.
Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBSY is faulty...However you'd need to check it with a different Orbi system if you had access to one...

Message 8 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

I have the Orbi pro at my business but I do not think this is compatible 

Message 9 of 27
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Orbi pro is different. It does not work with any RBK50/RBK40 or even CBK40.

I thought we are discussing RBSY50 here (Outdoor Satellite).

Message 10 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

Yes, we are but someone was discussing trying it with another system I was just saying that is the only other system I have and I did not think it would work to test if the 50 was at fault.  

Again the issue is I have CBR40 which came with a RBS20. The system has been working great.  I ordered the RBS50Y to improve coverage as the RBS20 is not enough for my entire house and outdoors.  My house is 3400 sq ft.  As my main concern is strength outdoors I bought the RBS50Y to install in my garage.  
First I tried to pair it right next to my CBR40 and it went through flashing white, solid white and then blue once paired.  Within a minute my wireless network vanished from all devices (would not come up in the search for wifi) and then it went magenta. At this point the wifi came back but it said my modem wasn’t connected to the internet and then would just sit at magenta.  

Thinking it was too close I tried to move it about 10 feet away yet had the same result.  

I unplug the RBS50Y and my network is fine.

I have tried this several times with the same result.

My system works great till I try to attach the RBS50Y.

I remove the RBS50Y it works again just fine.

Is my RBS50Y faulty, is there a firmware issue?

I have listed which firmwares I have earlier in this thread.

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe a FW issue between the CBK40 and the RBSY. If the RBS20 is working, then there may a problem at the RBSY unit and maybe not compatible at this time with the CBK40. I have the CBK40 and I get great coverage over my 5000sq ft home and good wiress up to about 20 feet out side of the home. 40 feet in between the satellite and base router. 

@WatchTimes wrote:

Yes, we are but someone was discussing trying it with another system I was just saying that is the only other system I have and I did not think it would work to test if the 50 was at fault.  

Again the issue is I have CBR40 which came with a RBS20. The system has been working great.  I ordered the RBS50Y to improve coverage as the RBS20 is not enough for my entire house and outdoors.  My house is 3400 sq ft.  As my main concern is strength outdoors I bought the RBS50Y to install in my garage.  
First I tried to pair it right next to my CBR40 and it went through flashing white, solid white and then blue once paired.  Within a minute my wireless network vanished from all devices (would not come up in the search for wifi) and then it went magenta. At this point the wifi came back but it said my modem wasn’t connected to the internet and then would just sit at magenta.  

Thinking it was too close I tried to move it about 10 feet away yet had the same result.  

I unplug the RBS50Y and my network is fine.

I have tried this several times with the same result.

My system works great till I try to attach the RBS50Y.

I remove the RBS50Y it works again just fine.

Is my RBS50Y faulty, is there a firmware issue?

I have listed which firmwares I have earlier in this thread.

Message 12 of 27
mlock
Guide

Same issue on my system. Disconnected the RBS50Y and all went back to working. Apologies if I missed it, but reading through the thread and not seeing if it has been determined. Is the RBS50Y just not compatible with CBR40 /RBS20? 

Message 13 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

It would seem there is an issue. The NG rep helping here vanished. 

I guess I will be returning this. 

Perhaps time to look at other options....

Message 14 of 27
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

@WatchTimes

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 15 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now if you find out anything. 

@WatchTimes wrote:

It would seem there is an issue. The NG rep helping here vanished. 

I guess I will be returning this. 

Perhaps time to look at other options....

Message 16 of 27
mlock
Guide

Just thought I would update ....  Had 2nd call from tech help folks today. Powered off the working RBS20 and tried to connect only the outdoor RBS50Y. Same result .... cycles between connected and not. Tech help supposed to kick it to next level and get back with me. On the good side ... fired up the RBS20 and all back to working.

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully they can get something going. Keep us posted if you get any more information. 

Message 18 of 27
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@mlock

Please PM me.

Message 19 of 27
mlock
Guide

Just a quick update - and to let you know that the Tech folks are communicating with me. Tried a couple things today they wanted me to do. End of the day .... still no go. Good news is though ... after each round of trying to get the outdoor unit to work, the RBS-20 syncs back up and things go back to working.

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for posting...

Message 21 of 27
mlock
Guide

Update ...  Heard back from the Tech folks couple days ago. Being told the Outdoor Sat works fine on the bench there at Netgear. They sent me some detailed instructions on how to capture debug files for them to look at (which is getting a little outside my knowledge / comfort level). Hope to give it a try next day or so.  Stay tuned ...

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Let us know how it goes...

Message 23 of 27
WatchTimes
Aspirant

OK with some firmware I was asked to test it seems as if it is working now!
I have been using it about 5 days with no noted problems.

I am quite surprised, I have the Liftmaster MyQ garage add on in my house.

When it connects to the 50 that is 6 feet away from it (both are in the garage) it connects and only has one bar of signal strength and most other times it seems to connect to the CBR40 which is about 15 feet away and inside the house.

I have Kuna outdoor lights and the ones right outside my garage ( 12 feet away max) same thing weak when connected to 50 and often connects to the CBR40.

I guess I would say it is working now but I really do hope they are able to continue to fine tune the firmware...  I really think I should have a MUCH stronger signal all around.

I have the 20 in my basement almost directly below the CBR40 which is on my main floor.  In the garage (15-20ft max) from CBR40 is my RBS50Y.  My house is 3400 sq ft, basement, main level and the upper level is a loft (1/2 size of lower).  House was built in 2000 so its not thick wall or anything like that...

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thanks for letting us know. 

What is the distance between the satellite and router? They should be at least 30 feet in between. 

The RBSY should be aroudn the same, however depending upon building materials. Placement is key here and to ensure the signals have just the rought amout of over lap. Too close causes problems. 

I have a 5000sq ft house, two story, CBR is upstairs at one end of the house, the RBS is at the other end down stairs on main level. 40 feet in between. I get great coverage all around. Even out side. 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7