Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR40 cannot get to 1mbps--why?

razorben
Aspirant

CBR40 cannot get to 1mbps--why?

I recently increased my internet speed to 1000mbps from 300mbps, but the CBR40 is still only providing 300. My internet provider (Comcast Xfinity) insists that the issue is with the Orbi and not with the service. Has anyone encountered and solved this before?

Thanks.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

So you went form a 1Gb service back to 300Mbps? 

Have you powered OFF the CBR40 for 1 minute then back on? 

Use a wirec connected PC connected to the CBR40 to speed test with. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

The issue is with the Orbi sadly. 

Xfinity requires docsis 3.1 for gigabit service. The CBR40 is only docsis 3.0. So it won't hit gigabit speeds. 

Message 3 of 6
razorben
Aspirant

Thank you, but that does not seem right. On the netgear/orbi website, it says that Docsis3.0 can go to 1 GBPS. See the image below.

orbi docsis3.png

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

It does say that. But the ISP is the one who certifies it for their service and what they require for certain plans/speeds.  

ISP's like Cox have even changed it to they're requiring docsis 3.1 for speeds greater than 150mbps on their network.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/C6300v2-not-support-cox-service/m-p/196298...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The one time I had my CBR40 on a 1Gb line it saw near 900Mpbs. That was a couple of years ago. It is capable. However since then the ISP is more strict on what is supported on 1Gb services. So unfortuneatly the CBR40 doesn't meet that requirement of D3.1. So your best off either using the CBR40 to a max speed supported by the ISP, or find sonething else that supports D3.1. It's recommended to get into a modem only option then get into external router system like Orbis RBK series systems, that way, the modem can be replaced at anytime while keeping the RBK wifi system with out having to change that system out unlike the gateway modems like the CBR40. 

It's not officially supported, however you can use the CBK40 as wireless AP mode system. The DHCP service needs to be disabled on the CBR and a new IP address set on the CBR40 to something that is used on a host router up stream from the CBR40. Connect the CBR40s LAN port to the host routers LAN port. Connect the RBS to the CBR40 and you'll have a Orbi mesh system if you want to keep the CBK40 system as a wifi only system. Only minor drawback is the front status LEDs will blink for the cable single since you will not have the coax cable connected to the CBR40 and the top ring will always be on and PINK when used in this configuration. Other than these items, the CBK40 can work in AP mode if you want to keep the system and use it like this in this configuration. 

@razorben 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7