Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 connectivity issues every 1-3 days

yazston
Initiate

CBR40 connectivity issues every 1-3 days

So, I am basically just looking for a place to start with this one.  For the past couple of weeks, my CBR40 router drops connectivity every 1-3 days.  I am not 100% certain that it is the ISP, although that is certainly possible.  When the connectivity drops, it often takes 60 seconds or more to bring up the router page, but the performance after that intial login time seems fine.  Unfortunately, simply connecting to the router does not restore connectivity to the internet, and if I try to release the IP from the ISP, I cannot renew without doing a restart on my router.  100% of the time, when I perform a restart, it then begins working again with no apparrent issues.  Currently on firmware V2.5.0.14_1.0.8.  I have the following from the event log from this morning, prior to another connectivity issue.  Unfortunately, I am not yet up to speed on what I am looking for, but any help is appreciated.  I am more than willing to contact my ISP, but they are, quite honestly, a PITA, so I'm just doing some checking first.

Jul 16 2021 08:18:04Critical (3)Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Jul 16 2021 08:18:04Critical (3)Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted

Jul 16 2021 08:18:04Critical (3)Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Jul 16 2021 08:18:04Critical (3)Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted

Jul 16 2021 08:18:19Critical (3)No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Jul 16 2021 08:23:32Warning (5)MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: CBR40 connectivity issues every 1-3 days

a screen snip of the event logs and the cable connections help. 

From the little bit you put, it indicates a line issue. 

If there's any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenuators in line, remove them. 

inspect the line for kinks, damage, loose/old/bad/cheap connectors and replace them if there are. 

prefereably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent wiring inside the home being the issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

a screen snip of the event logs and the cable connections help. 

From the little bit you put, it indicates a line issue. 

If there's any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenuators in line, remove them. 

inspect the line for kinks, damage, loose/old/bad/cheap connectors and replace them if there are. 

prefereably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent wiring inside the home being the issue. 

Message 2 of 4
yazston
Initiate

There was an attenuator on the line, which has been there for years, but I had never noticed.  Likely from when the cable company installed their own modem, prior to me purchasing my own Modem/Router. (This Orbi router is my second personally purchased modem/router since I have been in this house)

I can't explain why it did not cause any issues for the first year or so of use, but since removing it, I have only had one blip, during a thunderstorm, so likely not related.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, since it has only been a week, but hopefully that was it...thanks!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad it helped!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements