Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR40 -manual update now app wont connect

mfriend81
Aspirant

CBR40 -manual update now app wont connect

I received the email from Netgear stating there was a critical firmware update for my CBR40 (2.5.0.8) but after multiple attempts in my orbi app, it kept telling me my firmware version was the latest. So I went on my laptop and downloaded the update file from the Hot Fix post on Orbi's site, installed it, saw my routers firmware version was updated, and then lost all ability to login via the app (doesn't recognize my network even though in connected to an Orbi network) or via orbilogin.com which just tells me the connection was rejected. I also have 1 satellite if that matters. My wifi has worked fine the entire time though.
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
MN5150
Aspirant

Re: CBR40 -manual update now app wont connect

I also received the "urgent update" message. I assumed it was a phishing attach, so, I went to verify the existence of new firmware from the Orbi phone app. The app stated that v2.3.5.12_1.0.8 was the the latest ("no updates available"). I went to the Netgear website to see if there was any news of a phishing attack that was a high quality fake... Nothing.

Then, I discovered in the downloads section for the CBR40 that there is a new firmware v2.5.x.

Further yet, there is a page that is called "What's the latest firmware for my router?". Well, that one states a version 1.x for the CBR40 and also adds a note that the ISP has to provide the updates.

@netgear: Get your act together. This is LAZY support!!! Although I'm pleased at the performance of the Orbi and satellite, overall, I've found Netgear to be severely lacking in the navigation of the support website and the amount of outdated information. My expereince for the one issue I reported that the My Circle app was unreachable was terrible. No responses to online tickets. I had to call in every time to get a response.

I work in a technical role for my career. I can only imagine how a non-techie that just wants a good product with simple support options would feel. DO BETTER!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the app from your wifi mobile device. Then re-download the app. Once installed do a new setup and give your current user account information. Walk thru the setup and complete it. I think this will help get the Orbi app working again. 

Message 2 of 6
MN5150
Aspirant

I also received the "urgent update" message. I assumed it was a phishing attach, so, I went to verify the existence of new firmware from the Orbi phone app. The app stated that v2.3.5.12_1.0.8 was the the latest ("no updates available"). I went to the Netgear website to see if there was any news of a phishing attack that was a high quality fake... Nothing.

Then, I discovered in the downloads section for the CBR40 that there is a new firmware v2.5.x.

Further yet, there is a page that is called "What's the latest firmware for my router?". Well, that one states a version 1.x for the CBR40 and also adds a note that the ISP has to provide the updates.

@netgear: Get your act together. This is LAZY support!!! Although I'm pleased at the performance of the Orbi and satellite, overall, I've found Netgear to be severely lacking in the navigation of the support website and the amount of outdated information. My expereince for the one issue I reported that the My Circle app was unreachable was terrible. No responses to online tickets. I had to call in every time to get a response.

I work in a technical role for my career. I can only imagine how a non-techie that just wants a good product with simple support options would feel. DO BETTER!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would disregard the FW update notification on the Orbi app. 

Theres a long standing saying, "if it works, don't fix it!"

FW seeing on the NG download page for the CBR 40 is for the router and wifi portion of the unit only. the v1.x is for the modem portion which only Cable ISP companies can push out to user modems. There is not user FW updates for cable modems whatsoever. 

Message 4 of 6
mfriend81
Aspirant

Your comments are spot on; this whole situation was a dumpster fire that resulted from poor comminication/interface from a company marketing to non-tech professionals. I ended up doing a full system reset and reinstalling my Orbi and relinking it with my satellite. Only then did it show that the proper firmware was installed...I will never do a manual upload/install again. But it is incedibly frustrating when I am repeatedly told through the app that the most recent firmware is installed, directly contradiciting emails from Netgear.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Emails are just notifications about FW updates and new releases. Its up to users to update the system or not. It's not a contradiction. I prefer manual wired FW upates myself. Download the FW files and update when I see the need. One thing to keep in mind is that the RBS needs to be udpated first, then update the CBR lastly. Seems that if the CBR is updated first the the RBS may not sync correctly afterwards. 

Glad its back online. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7