Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR40 with external modem (yes, but with an RBS20 also?)

JDSiph
Tutor

CBR40 with external modem (yes, but with an RBS20 also?)

Hello all,

I read in another thread I can use my CBR40 with an external modem by disabling DHCP, etc..  I look forward to trying this in order to get more longevity from my Netgear Orbi investment.  Does anyone know if I can use a sattelite Orbi (RBS20) in that configuration also?

Thanks....

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a modem only, Theres no router built in to that modem. You would need a router in between that modem and the CBR40 if you were to try to connect the CBR40 in AP mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe so. 

Message 2 of 10
JDSiph
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  BTW - I tried to use the advanced software setting to change the CBR40 from Router to Bridge/AP.  That failed.  No SSID broadcasted to connect to.  So I re-enabed router but then turned off DHCP (as per a recommendation to made top someone else - thanks!!).  I now can get one computer connected to the SSID and routing traffic (fast!) but only one device at a time, it appears.  Odd....  After connecting second device to the SSID it never passes traffic to that device.  In fact, the second device shows an entirely diff IP range and diff router address.  Both devices get it from the a DHCP server (the cable modem I presume with DHCP turned off on the Orbi).  Also, can't reconnect to admin interface, over WiFi.  Might need to hardwire it again to get to admin interface. 

Trying desperately to salvage this Orbi investment.  It tanked (terrible performance) as cable modem for Spectrum, despite advertisement on the box.

Thoughts?

Thanks again...Really appreciate your expertise.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address string your main host router your using that you want to connect the CBR too? 

Ya don't use bridge mode on the CBR, this disables wifi and router portion of the CBR making it a modem only unit. 

What you have to do is set a a new IP address from 192.168.0.1 to a new IP address, Depending on what your using on your host router will help here first off. I did try this once with mine as I set a 192.168.0.40 on the CBR. Disabled the DHCP server on the CBR and applied the change. My main host routers IP address pool is 192.168.0.100 to .150 so the .40 used on the CBR is out side of the host routers default IP address pool which is fine and is preferred. I then used the .40 address to connect to the CBR40s web page from here. This will never change as well. 

Message 4 of 10
JDSiph
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38. I think it relates to my Spectrum modem not doing DHCP correctly.  Only willing to assing one IP address?  Hard to say for sure but I've spent way too much time trying to salvage this.  Sadly, I abandoned it and purchased a new WiFi router.  It's a waste of a good CBR40 but in the end, I needed the network to work.

Thanks again....

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using? 

Message 6 of 10
JDSiph
Tutor

DPC3216 (Cisco / Technicolor) provided by Spectrum.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats a modem only, Theres no router built in to that modem. You would need a router in between that modem and the CBR40 if you were to try to connect the CBR40 in AP mode. 

Message 8 of 10
JDSiph
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38 .  That makes sense now.  Appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you can get the CBK40 configured into AP mode. I believe it should work for you. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7