Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR750 Fails after firmware update

Freemaak
Guide

CBR750 Fails after firmware update

I recently updared the firmware on my Orbi CBR750 to the latest v4.6.3.6_2.0.48 update. I can no longer establish internet connectivity. Prior to updating my connection was fine with no issues. My ISP says nothing is wrong and the Netgear tech support is no help considering I'm outside my 90 day purchase window.
The cable connection error is with the cable connection continuously failing to connect. I've used new cables and moved it to other cable ports in the house known to work in the past.
Please help.
Message 1 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Freemaak wrote:
I recently updared the firmware on my Orbi CBR750 to the latest v4.6.3.6_2.0.48 update. I can no longer establish internet connectivity. Prior to updating my connection was fine with no issues. My ISP says nothing is wrong and the Netgear tech support is no help considering I'm outside my 90 day purchase window.
The cable connection error is with the cable connection continuously failing to connect. I've used new cables and moved it to other cable ports in the house known to work in the past.
Please help.

Message 2 of 110
Freemaak
Guide

Yes. I've done a cache clearing reset...removing the coax cable, holding the reset for 30sec, and power cycling 3 times in a row. Same error.
Message 3 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON with the Orbi system been performed since last update?

You only need to press the reset button for 15 seconds then release...

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 4 of 110
Freemaak
Guide

Has a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON with the Orbi system been performed since last update?

- Yes

You only need to press the reset button for 15 seconds then release...

- I did a "shock" reset w/ a netgear tech which was the 30-30-30 reset according to the case number.

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

- Connection Error (Check RF connection)
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

- ISP on-site technician performed all these actions, and nothing is wrong on their end. 

I've been in contact with NETGEAR and they're going to send a replacement device. My ISP installed a temp router so I won't be troubleshooting further. I still believe the firmware was the root cause, but I can't say why/how a firmware update would break the modem.

Message 5 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how the RMA goes...

Avoid doing the 30-30-30 reset. Its not needed. Only a 15second press will do. 

Message 6 of 110
Wndrbread
Guide

Hey…I am going this very same issue myself. Unit is no longer covered under support…but still covered under warranty until December. What do I do?

ISP came out today…no issues on their side. RJ6 had a solid signal all the way to the box.

Offered a substitute box to hold me over, elected to come on here first (hoping to find an answer).
Message 7 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact NG support to see what your warranty options are. 

@Wndrbread wrote:
Hey…I am going this very same issue myself. Unit is no longer covered under support…but still covered under warranty until December. What do I do?

ISP came out today…no issues on their side. RJ6 had a solid signal all the way to the box.

Offered a substitute box to hold me over, elected to come on here first (hoping to find an answer).

Message 8 of 110
Freemaak
Guide

I still haven't technically been approved for a replacement. You will have to troubleshoot multiple times with multiple techs. They will want you to purchase a gearhead support service. I gave up honestly, because their "customer service" is a joke. Four days of calling across 7 hours, and 8 different techs all having me do the same BS. Good luck...you'll need it. 

Message 9 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you return your CBR? 

@Freemaak wrote:

I still haven't technically been approved for a replacement. You will have to troubleshoot multiple times with multiple techs. They will want you to purchase a gearhead support service. I gave up honestly, because their "customer service" is a joke. Four days of calling across 7 hours, and 8 different techs all having me do the same BS. Good luck...you'll need it. 

Message 10 of 110
CJStephens
Guide

You are not alone. My CBR750 went down on 8-20-21 also. Spent hour on Sunday checking house connections and verifying connection strength. Finally called ISP.

My ISP is Cox Communications. They came out today and check signal coming in to the house, rechecked all connections and signal strength to the unit. We tried multiple factory resets on the ORBI. Then hooked up a COX branded unit, and it worked. Tech left and said call Netgear support.

Spent an hour and a half with Netgear support.

Before I rant... the two support gals were GREAT! The tech gal from the Philippines was knowledgeable and spoke perfect English. I was blessed to have someone with more linguistic abilities than myself help me, because we were on the phone a long time.

We did multiple resets, she had me Hot Spot firmware downloads, perform several disconnection procedures, and helped me navigate the website software from my laptop.

When it came down to it... she had to escalate the issue to the next tech level. I am supposed to get a call in 48 hours.

Called COX right after I got of the phone with the Netgear tech to see if there was anything they could do on their side... nada.

I work from home part of the day, and this is a pain. Hope the next level Netgear tech can help me soon. Probably going to need another manual update to fix the compatibility issues.

Lastly... Netgear... You need to find that tech gal in the Philippines and give her a raise! She is way too smart and professional to be working as just tech support.

Message 11 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

This is crazy and frustrating! I updated the firmware tonight and the exact same thing happened to me. 2 hours on the phone with Cox and NG and I have to go through the hoops… a Cox tech is coming out tomorrow… so frustrating
Message 12 of 110
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is your system using currently? 

@JJBabel wrote:
This is crazy and frustrating! I updated the firmware tonight and the exact same thing happened to me. 2 hours on the phone with Cox and NG and I have to go through the hoops… a Cox tech is coming out tomorrow… so frustrating

Message 13 of 110
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Freemaak @Wndrbread @CJStephens @JJBabel

Kindly send me a private message with the support case number. We are currently checking on the issue. 

Thank you! 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 14 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

4.6.3.6_2.0.48
Message 15 of 110
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@JJBabel 

can you please post the DOCSIS event logs + network logs here or DM me asap please

Message 16 of 110
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@Freemaak @Wndrbread @CJStephens @JJBabel

who is your ISP?

Message 17 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

Cox is mine… I’m trying to get my logs
Message 18 of 110
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

did the problem happend AFTER update to 4.6.x FW or BEFORE upgrade?

Message 19 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

Immediately after the firmware updated… I was never able to reestablish a connection with the ISP after it restarted
Message 20 of 110
CJStephens
Guide

COX is my ISP. In my description in this thread
Message 21 of 110
CJStephens
Guide

For me it happened before the update to the newest version. I had a very outdated version of firmware before the tech helped me update to the V4 version. She thought that was the initial problem.
Message 22 of 110
LASwxman
Star

I also have this same issue after Firmware upgrade. My neighbor (that I recommeded get an Orbi) is also having the same issue. Cox Cable came out and tested the line. Its perfect (strong and clear signal).  I am on my 4th day going round and round with Netgear Tech support. They clearly have no idea what they are doing. Its a mess. 

Right now awaiting escalation to higher tech support. 

If things don't change fast, this will be my last Netgear product. Just terrible and inexcusable. 

Message 23 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

I was told today that i have to wait 24hrs before i can call back because they can not get ahold of the next level for me to get it warrantied out? it sounded weird to me but is that what you have had to deal with?

Message 24 of 110
LASwxman
Star

Similar excuse, yes. I was told that a higher level tech was needed to warranty out the router and for them to send a new one. That call back would take 24-48 hours. I am near the 24 hour mark at this point. 

I was told this after going 2 rounds with Netgears. The last round was after the Cox technician did the line test and gave me a loaner router/modem (which works fine BTW). I had to keep arguing (politely of course) with them that it is clearly the router. They just didn't want to hear it at first. I am glad Cox gave me a loaner, or I would be dead in the water. 

Message 25 of 110
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7