Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR750 Fails after firmware update

Daesania
Star

I don’t think the firmware type is the problem. I am having a similar problem. I rebooted my 750 after some latency issues, and it wouldn’t come up after the reboot. My firmware was the older 3 version, not the new 4 version.
Message 51 of 110
KamPole
Aspirant

Having the same issue with no resolution from Netgear. My ISP is also Cox. This is very frustrating as this is an expensive mesh system to not be working.
Message 52 of 110
acint213
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem with my CBR750 and COX service. I'm in San Diego and my internet died some time early last Thursday the 19th. My orginal CBR750 was purchased back in April this year and was running the 3 series firmware (not sure of the exact version). COX came out and verified that everything on their end was good and suggested that the modem may have died inside my CBR750. I purchased a brand spanking new CBR750 that arrived on Sunday the 21st, I updated to the latest version 4 firmware; same exact problem!!! All lights light up with the exception of the online one that continuously blinks and then the ring light turns magenta. I have talked with NETGEAR and have opened a case with them.

So bottom line, whatever has caused this affects multiple firmware versions.

Message 53 of 110
Prince727
Star

A COX tech was just at my house. The problem is totally on NG pushing out bad firmware. I have screen shots of my line test and it is perfect. The tech hooked up the newest Panoramic Model/router and it is working great. He said I was the forth customer since Monday with the same issue he has helped out. All where from the same firmware push to version 4. Luckily he had the service call fee waived. Now I have a $600 Orbi mesh paper weight kit. This is beyond laughable on NG incompetence.
Message 54 of 110
Prince727
Star

FYI, I am with COX in Fairfax County, VA
Message 55 of 110
acint213
Tutor

To add more... I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk C7800 modem/router plugged in right now to await the ORBI fix. The Nighthawk is running perfect with it's latest firmware. Like others have said... FRUSTRATING!!! Too much money spent for this to happen.

Message 56 of 110
Daesania
Star

That's not true that its the new firmware issue.  I have the old firmware and I have the same issue.  This sounds like something that cox has done IMHO.  The modem is not obtaining an IP, it sounds like as if maybe cox is somehow blocking it. As you can see below, I do not have the newest firmware on mine.

Capture.PNG

@Prince727 wrote:
A COX tech was just at my house. The problem is totally on NG pushing out bad firmware. I have screen shots of my line test and it is perfect. The tech hooked up the newest Panoramic Model/router and it is working great. He said I was the forth customer since Monday with the same issue he has helped out. All where from the same firmware push to version 4. Luckily he had the service call fee waived. Now I have a $600 Orbi mesh paper weight kit. This is beyond laughable on NG incompetence.

Message 57 of 110
Prince727
Star

One thing for sure, the Orbi CBR750 was only seeing one downstream bonding channel and not seeing the upstream from the CBR750.
Message 58 of 110
Wndrbread
Guide

Thank you for doing this…you saved me from doing it myself. ❤️
Message 59 of 110
Masterkaster
Initiate

Exactly same problem. I spoke with tech support and was told they are aware of current situation with the Orbi CBR750. They said engineers will have a solution/fix for the problem by 8/27/21. At that time a new download will be provided to solve the problem.
Message 60 of 110
Daesania
Star

I'm quite disappointed that i had to pay to speak with tech support about this, it seems like kinda a scam to have to pay to speak to someone about their issues.

Message 61 of 110
Masterkaster
Initiate

I was on the phone with 2 different techs yesterday (8/24) for more than 2 hours.  Nothing they suggested fixed my problem with my CBR750.  I was told they would have to push it up the chain of supervisors and they would get back to me within 15-20 minutes, but they never called back.  I called again and spoke with another technician this morning (8/25).  He looked over my case regarding no internet connectivity and new exactly what was going on.  He said many people with this model are having the same problem, eg., no internet connectivity.  Netgear is aware of the problem and engineers will have a fix for the problem that you can download.  This is expected to be available by 8/27.  Hope this helps.

Message 62 of 110
Prince727
Star

Here is my iCloud link for screen captures of my line. The COX modem picked up all downlink bonding. Channels. My CBR750 with the new firmware can only lock on to one bonding channel. Also the COX network does not see my upstream at all. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0l7KoF6DikrazeyOPeGCh2vOw
Message 63 of 110
Prince727
Star

FYI, the COX tech said their engineering is preparing for a major upgrade later this year to add more upstream bonding channels so customer get more upload speed. That would be great!
Message 64 of 110
dblue
Initiate

I'm having the same issue with my CBR750 (ISP Cox).  We updated the firmware on Friday night and immediately afterward, the internet went out.  We actually thought it was a Cox issue, so I called to schedule a tech to come out and the earliest they could send someone was Tuesday morning! Turns out that the Cox signal is coming through the coax perfectly.  After learning this info, I called Netgear and was on the phone with tech support for 2 whole hours just to be told that the issue has been escalated to Cox and Netgear engineers (due to an issue with the firmware making the modem unable to receive Cox signals) and I need to wait 24-48 hours for a solution.  

I work from home and today makes day #5 with no internet.  This is unacceptable considering how much we spent on the Orbi cable modem + 2 satellites, and considering how much we spend on Cox.  Someone needs to pay for the inconvenience this is causing all of us.

Message 65 of 110
LASwxman
Star

I just got a call from my neighbor. Her Orbi starting working again about an hour ago (8/25 4pm PDT). Just connected right up on its own.

For the record, we are in Las Vegas and have Cox Cable. 

Unfortunatly, I am not at home, so I cannot confirm this with my own router. I will later tonight. But thought it would be a good idea to post here. If you router is off, you may want to turn it on and see what happens. 

Message 66 of 110
Prince727
Star

At did anyone look at the screen shots I posted from my line test? Just let me know if you can see to them. Cheers, Rick
Message 67 of 110
CJStephens
Guide

COX Omaha... ORBI up and running!

Download 518.04
Upload 10.69

Netgear Engineers, Techs, and Customer Service,

THANK YOU!! Alot of times customers forget we all have mishaps or make mistakes. It is how you handle those incidents. I think you all did a great job. You told me to be patient for a few days. I waited, and you delivered. Good job on the recovery so quick.

Take care and Thank you!!

I do not have to wake up at 2:30am to get to work tomorrow. I can chill on my computer at home until 5am.
Message 68 of 110
dblue
Initiate

Thank you so much for the update!  I just plugged it in and it reconnected to the internet automatically.  I can now work from home without using my hotspot, and our smart home is a little smarter once again.

My 2 satellites initially had some trouble syncing, but I reset both and they are back in action now.

Message 69 of 110
cnstntfrstrtn
Initiate

I downgraded to the oldest firmware on the Netgear site for both CBR750 3.2.16.9 and RBS750 3.2.16.6 to find the same issue. Surprised it started working late afternoon 8/25 with no further action. Did Cox fix thier provisioning since Netgear did not release a firmware? I want to know how they fixed it so I can go yell at them about it...

Message 70 of 110
LASwxman
Star

I can confirm my neighbor was correct (see post above). My Orbi is now back online. Full strength. 

The fix must have been on the Cox end since my Orbi (all of our Orbis actually) were offline. So they clearly changed nothing in the software after the problem started. 

As to who's fault it is, I doubt we will ever know. I suspect that NG Support or Cox will not tell us. But who knows. Maybe they will fess up. 

Message 71 of 110
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Hi all,

cox folks have updated config file and thats why we are seeing most of the units back to normal. (cox engg was helpful to work this our for us albeit it took some time to identify the issue)

Is anyone else still having issues getting modem online?  If yes, we need CM MAC + Location (city, state) to see if the config has been deployed correctly in all the places. 

Message 72 of 110
CJStephens
Guide

Vkdelta,

Thank you!

Take care 🙂
Message 73 of 110
JJBabel
Guide

Thank you for your work on this. I was able to get mine back up and running. It did take a little time though. My upload light was blinking forever after it connected and after about 30 min it went solid. But I am back online. Again thank you
Message 74 of 110
dmhavasu
Guide

I truly hate to be the "a-hole" in this conversation....BUT.....I went to great lengths to secure internet as I am leaving town in roughly 12 hours. I talked with Cox and NG for most of the day yesterday, nobody gave any details to anything, just the usual "it's not our fault, please try plugging the modem into a different outlet" resolution....it's a joke! I am happy that everyone's equipment seems to be working now, but that's not an excuse for the customer service we have all received....I am now renting a panoramic wifi (for a fee) from cox which of course works....until I get home next week....sorry for the rambling, but better communication from NG and probably cox would have gone a long way....
Message 75 of 110
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7