Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I add an RBS50 satellite to a RBK40 modem?

Ihavequestions9
Aspirant

Can I add an RBS50 satellite to a RBK40 modem?

Hello,
I just got an installed an RBK40 modem with an RBS20 satellite that came with it. I was given two RBS50 satellites and I was wondering if they would work well with the RBK40/RBS20, or do I need to get an RBS20 if I want a second satellite?
Thank you.
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I add an RBS50 satellite to a RBK40 modem?

yes the satellites are compatible 

Message 2 of 9
Ihavequestions9
Aspirant

I thought they might work together, but for some reason the system keeps pushing firmware updates, and even though I wired an internet device to the RBS50, it’s not showing up as a connected device. Am I doing something wrong here?
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Ihavequestions9 wrote:
I thought they might work together, but for some reason the system keeps pushing firmware updates,-----what system is pushing updates?  and even though I wired an internet device to the RBS50, it’s not showing up as a connected device. -----is the RBS50 properly connected to the CBK40? Am I doing something wrong here?

what firmware is on the CBK40? 

And on the RBS50? 

If you're updating, always make sure to update the satellites first. 

Are you saying you have the satellites connected back to the router?

And then devices aren't connecting to the satellite? 

Or not showing on the connected device list? 

Be specific with what you've done, whats going on, and any other details that can help. 

Message 4 of 9
Ihavequestions9
Aspirant

To fully explain: I installed and activated the RBK40 (which calls itself the CBR40 on the Orbi app), then installed the RBS20 that came with it and updated everything, got all internet devices connected to the mesh network, and it all worked just fine. The next day I connected an RBS50, the way the Orbi app instructed me to do so, and updated it as it requested. And though devices tend to work well over the wifi networks that Orbi creates, I figured I'd use all satellites available in order to connect certain devices with ethernet cords for the best service possible. 

Problem:

For some reason the modem (RBK40/CBR40) is not updated to the same firmware version as the satellites, which is why I think the app keeps listing updates as available (I'm on update attempt 7 as of writing this). Also, nothing seems to be connecting to the RBS50, even when an ethernet cable is used. 

So it seems that the main problems are that the modem (CBK40/CBR40) is not updating to the same version of firmware, and that nothing will connect to the RBS50 satellite. 

I'm not sure what to do because attempting to update through the app seems to not do anything, and though the RBS50 appears on the "network map" on the app, it will not have any internet devices connect to it. 

What is there left to do or am I missing something? Is there any other information needed to help diagnose this, or is the RBS50 not actually compatible?

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Ihavequestions9 wrote:

To fully explain: I installed and activated the RBK40 (which calls itself the CBR40 on the Orbi app), then installed the RBS20 that came with it and updated everything, got all internet devices connected to the mesh network, and it all worked just fine. The next day I connected an RBS50, the way the Orbi app instructed me to do so, and updated it as it requested. And though devices tend to work well over the wifi networks that Orbi creates, I figured I'd use all satellites available in order to connect certain devices with ethernet cords for the best service possible. 

Problem:

For some reason the modem (RBK40/CBR40) is not updated to the same firmware version as the satellites, which is why I think the app keeps listing updates as available (I'm on update attempt 7 as of writing this). ----the CBK40 has an integrated modem. Problem with integrated modems is that the isp is the only one who can update them. They're not user updated. The satellites are. I'd recommend not using the app but logging in through the browser. What version are the different satellites on? you can compare them to netgears firmwares on the support site to see if they're on the most accurate. As well as the browswer will show which device isn't updating. Also, nothing seems to be connecting to the RBS50, even when an ethernet cable is used. ----is the device connected via ethernet working? The app and even the browser based device lists have had issues on the most recent firmware versions on listing attached devices correctly. 

So it seems that the main problems are that the modem (CBK40/CBR40) is not updating to the same version of firmware, and that nothing will connect to the RBS50 satellite. ----tough to know without actual firwmare numbers. 

I'm not sure what to do because attempting to update through the app seems to not do anything, and though the RBS50 appears on the "network map" on the app, it will not have any internet devices connect to it. ----again, try the browser. And don't believe everything you see. If you've hardwired in a device and its working, then disregard what the app is saying. 

What is there left to do or am I missing something? Is there any other information needed to help diagnose this, or is the RBS50 not actually compatible?

so overall.

Don't trust the app for attached devices.

Actually look up each satellites firmware. List them here and be specific There's different firmwares for different models. 

Message 6 of 9
Ihavequestions9
Aspirant

Thanks so far for helping me out and learning more about the system, I appreciate it and your quick responses.

Both RBS50 and RBS20 satellites have the firmware versions V2.3.5.30, the modem has V2.3.5.12

Looking at the Netgear site indicates that this is the most up to date version for the RBS20 and the CBR40, but not the RBS50 (V2.5.1.8 being the most recent). Since the app doesn't seem to offer satellite updates (at least not effectively), do I update here using my computer or phone? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50.aspx#RBS50%20(Orbi%20Satellite)%20Firmware%20Version%2...

As for the modem and it's updates, even though it is a privately owned and third party modem, does the ISP update the modem for me automatically, or do I need to do anything?

Yes devices that were connected to the RBS50 were still working, even though they did not indicate they were connected in the app's network map. So you're saying I should just ignore what the app says? If it works, it works?

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Ihavequestions9 wrote:

Thanks so far for helping me out and learning more about the system, I appreciate it and your quick responses.

Both RBS50 and RBS20 satellites have the firmware versions V2.3.5.30, the modem has V2.3.5.12

Looking at the Netgear site indicates that this is the most up to date version for the RBS20 and the CBR40, but not the RBS50 (V2.5.1.8 being the most recent). Since the app doesn't seem to offer satellite updates (at least not effectively), do I update here using my computer or phone? -----I'd update over your computer. You can either log into the satellite using its ip address or the orbilogin.net site 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS50.aspx#RBS50%20(Orbi%20Satellite)%20Firmware%20Version%2...

As for the modem and it's updates, even though it is a privately owned and third party modem, does the ISP update the modem for me automatically, or do I need to do anything?-----They usually auto push the update. 

Yes devices that were connected to the RBS50 were still working, even though they did not indicate they were connected in the app's network map. So you're saying I should just ignore what the app says? If it works, it works?------kind of. the orbi attached device list has been a bit unreliable of late. The newest firmware was supposed to help but then it caused different issues. I use the attached device list as more of a reference for ip addresses. I'm also not a huge fan of the app. It seems like between firmware bugs and app bugs, its been a challenge lately. And I'd rather only deal with firmware bugs so I stick to the browser for the most part. 

Message 8 of 9
Ihavequestions9
Aspirant

Thank you very much for helping me. I really do appreciate it.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7