Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use RBK53 with CBR/K 40?

nmcharka
Guide

Can I use RBK53 with CBR/K 40?

I already have an Orbi RBK53 set up with a Fios modem; 1 router/sat and two identical satellites. I would like to replace my cable modem so i do not have to rent it from either XFinity or Fios; Can I add a CBK40 to the RBK 53 and eliminate the rental equipment?

My home is a very spread out rancher, over 6000SF but i am completely wired with CAT6 so i can wire my backhaul as well. I may need to add another satellite to my RBK53 set up anyway; but this would kill two birds with one stone if possible. 

Is this doable?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Yes and no.

CBK isn't capable of fiber, it will do a cable connection.

Also the base router's don't mix. If you add the cbk, you won't be able to use the rbr50 with it.  You can use the satellites interchangably but not the main routers. Sorry. 

Message 2 of 5
nmcharka
Guide

Very help information. Thanks

To be clear, I would remove the RBK53 and then I could add another RBR 50 and a CBK 40 modem unit; but I would have to use Xfinity (cable) and not Fios (fiber)?

I appreciate the help greatly!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@nmcharka wrote:

To be clear, I would remove the RBK53 and then I could add another RBR 50 and a CBK 40 modem unit; but I would have to use Xfinity (cable) and not Fios (fiber)?

No. RBR50 and CBK40 will not work together. All the satellites will work with one or the other but the main routers won't work with each other.  here's a thread that discussing this issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Will-a-Orbi-RBR50-with-two-Satellites-work-with-a-Orbi-CBK40/m...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The only two senarios where the RBK53 would work with the CBK40 is,

1. Configured the CBK40 for modem mode only then connect the RBK53 and the RBS20 from the CBK40 and use the RBR50 as your main host router.

2. The RBR50 could be used as a 2ndary wired AP in AP Mode while the CBK40 is in router mode. This would be ok if you kept the wifi channels far appart on each radio and kept the units far appart in placement. 

They will not work together as a MESH system. 

@nmcharka wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7