Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant unblock a device

dstranathan
Apprentice

Cant unblock a device

I bought a brand new Orbi CBK40 system (CBR40 router/modem combo and a RBS20 satellite).

I blocked ("paused") an iPhone X (iOS 11.4) for a couple of days on my Orbi network.

Once I unblocked the device ("unpaused" it), the iOS device can no longer route traffic or conect to the internet.

The iOS device still gets a 192.168.1/24 DHPC IP address, but no traffic is routed. The device no longer shows up in my Orbi router's Device List either (!), even though it's getting a DHCP adress from the Orbi.

I have tried multiple DHCP renewal requests and rebooted both the device and the router.

No new firmware is available for the Orbi.

The iOS device works fine on AT&T cellular (4G GSM) as well as other  2.5Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-fi networks.

I relaize there are similar community posts of this topic, but none are specific to the new CBR40 router/modem, and none that exhibit my exact symptoms.

Until I get this resolved, my primary mobile device is basically "blacklisted" from my own LAN which is problematic, as I need to print, manage HomeKit "smart" devices, and do other LAN-specific tasks.

Please advise.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cant unblock a device

What browser are you using to manage the router?

Where did you block your phone? Under Access Controls?

If anything, a factory reset on the router and set up from scratch will help get you back up and running with your iPhone if you can't get the router configuration undone from what you set up.

@DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
dstranathan
Apprentice

What browser are you using to manage the router?

Typically I use Safari 11 on an iMac (macOS 10.13.5), or Chrome 63.x (same iMac). I also use the iOS app, too (poorly designed app in my opinion - dissapointed with NETGEAR here).

Where did you block your phone? Under Access Controls?

I blocked it from the iOS app under the "Device List" section (a simple on/off GUI slider toggle)

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you unblock them using the Mac in a web browser?

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I just tried this with my iPhone 6sP, the Orbi app, and my laptop i'm currently using to type here in the forum. I was able to block the laptop. I then ran a ping test from the LT to the routers IP address, no responce. I then unpaused the LT, then ran ping test again and got response from the router. And posted this responce to your thread from same LT.

Message 5 of 11
dstranathan
Apprentice

No idea what happened, but today the iPhone is back on the Orbi's WLAN, and I can see it from the Orbi iOS app again. Took a few days, but it is 'magically' back online and able to route out to the Internet.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try testing with a different device to see if you get the same problem.

Testing my LT, i got instand results, blocked and unblocked.

Message 7 of 11
dstranathan
Apprentice

I have tested a few devices, both wired and wireless. All of them were easily unblocked except (1) specific iPhone X. Seems like a bug as its not reproducible.

As menitoned, the iPhone X is bow back on the WLAN (after a few days of being unable to pass traffic).

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might test it again and see if the same thing happens. If it does, then lets report this to NG...

Is your devices set up for IP reservations ON the router or just using Dynamic addresses?

Whats your IP address pool set for? Default 192.168.1.2 thru .254?

Message 9 of 11
dstranathan
Apprentice

All devices are DHCP. Im using the defualt IP scope 192.168.1/24.

No Static or Reserved IPs here.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using 192.168.1.100 to .200 then set a IP address reservation on the iphone X and test the block and unblock when you get time. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7