Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cbr750 speed issue with comcast

Taylorinnyc
Guide

Cbr750 speed issue with comcast

Thanks in advance for all help. I replaced my xfinity modem/router with the cbr750 modem/router and satellite. After installing my speeds were in my normal range of 1000-1400 mbps. Two days ago the speed dropped to 550-675 and has not improved. I am testing speed through the Orbi app, speed test app and xfinity Speedtest page. My ps5 is hard wired to the modem and is only getting 400 mbps. Both xfinity and Netgear are saying it's issues with the other party so not sure where to turn. I was told to post my cable connections page and event log so will do now. Thanks so much. FD2FDE03-1FAD-48AF-8FB1-AA5B6CDB98C5.pngD153BEC5-4AAC-4BDD-99D6-20BA88BA58CA.png

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Re: Cbr750 speed issue with comcast

I’m sorry, got so crazy with all of this and never updated what happened. On my last call with the orbi support guys, he finally said to me that the orbi system may not be best for my setup and the size of my house. He recommended I return it and buy a cm2000 modem and a rax200 router. I took apart the orbi system and returned it, the nighthawk stuff arrived the next day and I installed everything. So far I have great speeds and signal throughout the house. I was surprised that he said the orbi wasn’t right for me but so far the nighthawk system seems great. I really appreciate all your help, so sorry I didn’t update. I just got so frustrated that it slipped my mind. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Be sure to test with a wired PC connected to the CBR and use Ooklas installable speed test app. Theres is a known issue with the CBRs speed test app and Orbi app giving inaccurate speed results. 

Message 2 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Thanks so much for your help, I think the requested photos are waiting for approval. I’m not that tech savvy, what exactly do I need to ask the xfinity tech on Thursday as far as provisioning goes? The NetGear support people said that there are some channels not locked that should be and said that Comcast would fix that, Comcast says they don’t fix that. I’m just at a loss because my speed was great when initially installed then just took a dive. Just wondering if this setup is even the right answer for me?
Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please use the Choose File button on a post to attached picture files to as we have to wait for inline pictures to be approved. 

Message 4 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Message 5 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Message 6 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

Can you see the photos I sent?
Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I see all channels lock in accept for 32 which is ok. 

However you have a ton of critical events that the ISP needs to look into. Have the tech, if there stopping by to take a look at these event logs. These have to be corrected by the ISP. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 8 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

One last question, Comcast is claiming that the orbi is not capable of the speed on my plan. I think that’s false? It was operating at the same speed as my Comcast modem when it was first installed. Am I correct that that’s not true? I want to have my facts straight before the tech visit. Again, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

On WiFi Yes, Ethernet LAN side, will max out at around 900Mpbs:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/CBR750.pdf

The LAN ports are rated only for 1000Mpbs. So max rate seen here will be around 900Mpbs +-.

WiFi, if you have wifi 6 AX mode supporting wifi devices and they are 4x4 MIMO antenna supporting, then yest you should see over 1000Mpbs if your ISP has support for 1000Mpbs or higher coming accross the coax line thru the CBR750. 

Message 10 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

So an update on my issue, i got an ethernet adapter for my macbook so i could test the speed directly from my router. Its constantly about 910-925. So is the issue the wifi signal? for some reson no device can get over 650 mbps over wifi. i assume this means my xfinity connection is good? 

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What wifi devices are you speed testing with? 

Some have been complaining about recent FW having problem with speeds recently. 

Yes, the ISP service is good. 

Message 12 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

I have used iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro. I had tested the speed with a wired connection on my ps5 which was only about 300. Unfortunately I don’t have anything non Mac to test the WiFi with now that I think about it.
Message 13 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

I’m going to test the speed on the ps5 through WiFi without the Ethernet.
Message 14 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

The ps5 through WiFi only getting 100 mbps. I don’t get it.
Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 16 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

I’m sorry, got so crazy with all of this and never updated what happened. On my last call with the orbi support guys, he finally said to me that the orbi system may not be best for my setup and the size of my house. He recommended I return it and buy a cm2000 modem and a rax200 router. I took apart the orbi system and returned it, the nighthawk stuff arrived the next day and I installed everything. So far I have great speeds and signal throughout the house. I was surprised that he said the orbi wasn’t right for me but so far the nighthawk system seems great. I really appreciate all your help, so sorry I didn’t update. I just got so frustrated that it slipped my mind. Thank you!
Message 17 of 22
atejwani
Apprentice

Thanks, Taylorinnyc, for your update. I too am surprised by Netgear Support team recommending different hardware!

I also have Xfinity/Comcast as my ISP providing 1.2gb down/40mb up service in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've had the Netgear Orbi CBK752 (CBR750 & RBR750) since Nov 2020, and all worked well till the middle of September 2021 when the firmware upgrades degraded performance and stability.

Netgear Support Team - @Blanca_O , @DarrenM - Is this even an option for me to return CBK752, and get credit towards procuring CM2000 and RAX200, after 11 months of use?

cc: @FURRYe38 

Thanks in advance,

Al

@Taylorinnyc wrote:

Message 18 of 22
Taylorinnyc
Guide

After a lot of reading, I believe that a firmware update somewhere along the line is the problem I was having. I had exactly the same speeds you described from xfinity. When the orbi was first installed I had the same speeds, once it updated there was no going back and they didn’t seem to believe that was the issue. I’m glad I made the change at this point. So sorry for the troubles.
Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 20 of 22
stjames70
Guide

Latest firmware finally fixed issue with Comcast — see posted photo — 1.4 Mbps service from 1.2 Mbps Comcast service — amazing. I could only get 900Mbps before.
Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

NICE. Thanks for letting us know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@stjames70 wrote:
Latest firmware finally fixed issue with Comcast — see posted photo — 1.4 Mbps service from 1.2 Mbps Comcast service — amazing. I could only get 900Mbps before.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7