Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Combining Orbi CBR40 modem/router with RBR50 + satellites system

jimlamo
Follower

Combining Orbi CBR40 modem/router with RBR50 + satellites system

I currently have an orbi RBR50 router + 2 satellites. The system works fantastic. We're now moving to a new house and I'd like to buy an Orbi router/modem combination to avoid paying the cable company. If I get the Orbi CBR40, I'm trying to figure out if I can then use that in combination with my RBR50 and 2 satellites. Will the RBR50 and both satellites link back to the CBR40, or will the RBR50 satellites only link back to the RBR50 router (so that I'd need to put the RBR50 and both satellites in AP only mode to work with the CBR40)? I will have devices in my home connected through ethernet as well as devices connected over Wi-Fi. I want to broadcast a single SSID, and have that SSID be in sync with what's coming through ethernet (so that devices on Wi-Fi can control devices on ethernet, like Sonos). I'm thinking I have to set up the RBR50 in AP-only mode, but that seems to defeat the whole purpose of a mesh-like network. Has anyone else tried to do a configuration like this? Thanks. Jim
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Combining Orbi CBR40 modem/router with RBR50 + satellites system

The CBR40 can only work in modem gateway router mode or modem only mode. So if you plan on replaceing the ISP modem with the CBK40, then you could connect it and it's RBS and the RBS from the RBR50s system to the CBK40. The RBR50 would not be used nor can it work as a RBS. Orbi RBRs only support router or AP mode. No RBS mode. Or configure the CBR40 for modem mode only then connect your current RBR50 system to the CBR40 along with connecting the CBK40s RBS to the RBR50 system. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7