Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comcast modem and Orbi with 2 Satellites

LoriNic
Aspirant

Comcast modem and Orbi with 2 Satellites

I have an xfinity modem and Orbi with 2 satellites. I recently have been having issues when I spoke to Comcast they had the bridge turned off, I had it on but every time they do something it goes off. Any way it’s now on and my Orbi is now in AP mode. I’m constantly getting no internet connections on devices. I’ve gone in forgot the WiFi on my devices and rediscovered, helps for a little while but then I lose it again. I now have to turn off WiFi on my devices to get to the internet. What am I missing here? My Orbi is connected to my router with the yellow cable and I have a PC hard wired to the Orbi. The Orbi and my router do sit right next to each other. When the Orbi was in router mode I didn’t have this issue. But from what I’ve read it needs to be in AP mode. Help!!
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Comcast modem and Orbi with 2 Satellites

Whtat modle Orbi system do you have? 

This forum is for the Orbi with Built in cable modem. 

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

If your running the ISP modem in bridge mode, then the Orbi needs to be in router mode. If your running the Orbi in AP modem, then unbridge the ISP modem. 

@LoriNic wrote:
I have an xfinity modem and Orbi with 2 satellites. I recently have been having issues when I spoke to Comcast they had the bridge turned off, I had it on but every time they do something it goes off. Any way it’s now on and my Orbi is now in AP mode. I’m constantly getting no internet connections on devices. I’ve gone in forgot the WiFi on my devices and rediscovered, helps for a little while but then I lose it again. I now have to turn off WiFi on my devices to get to the internet. What am I missing here? My Orbi is connected to my router with the yellow cable and I have a PC hard wired to the Orbi. The Orbi and my router do sit right next to each other. When the Orbi was in router mode I didn’t have this issue. But from what I’ve read it needs to be in AP mode. Help!!

Message 2 of 4
LoriNic
Aspirant

Ok, my Orbi FM is 2.2.1.210
ISP modem is Arris TG1682G
I am currently running with bridge enabled and Orbi in AP mode ( this is what Comcast had me do the night my issues started)

But if I understand correctly if I have the bridge enabled the Orbi should be in AP mode
OR
Disable bridge and Orbi in router mode.

Is this correct?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your ISP modem does have a router built in, if the modem is in bridge mode, then the Orbi should be in Router mode. 

FYI, Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7