Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Comparing Modem/Routers Looking to upgrade

Comparing Modem/Routers Looking to upgrade

Currently, I'm using a Netgear CM1000 Modem with a Nighthawk Router for my home internet system (working with XFinity Internet).  I'm thinking of upgrading it to Orbi AC2200.  I'm finding it difficult to compare the two systems head to head to be sure that if I make the investment in Orbi AC2200, I'm actualy fullfilling my quest to upgrade my system.  Can anyone tell me if I'll be getting greater and further Wifi output with the Orbi?  Likley I'd keep the Nighthawk Router and just plug it into the  Orbi for an additional Network.  Any Suggestions you may have would be most helpful.  THANKS!!

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 13

Thanks so much for your response.  I'm in the process of reviewing and absorbing it all.  In the mean time, I'm responding to answer your question as to what Router I'm using: 

Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Model: R8000

Thanks again for your information!! 

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 is right on your modem. 

How large is your home? 

The R8000 is triband. So is the orbi but one of the bands with orbi is reseverd just for the backhaul so isn't something the end user can access and use. 

If you're home isn't to large, the R8000 has the options to use both 5ghz bands so might have better coverage/speeds with its usable triband setup.

But if you're home is large enough, the added coverage from the orbi satellites might be better.

so again, a lot depends on your home size and usage.  

Message 4 of 13

Thanks so much for your response!  My home is just over 3,500 square feet/multi level.  I ask alot of my internet system with two security camera systems, a couple outdoor timers, a couple large smart TV's, a couple computers, iPads & iPhones.  I also extend the internet into the outdoor padio area for access.  I ask for alot of coverage from my internet service.  If I upgrade to the orbi, I'll just plug in the Netgear r8000 router into the Orbi so I'll have that additional network.  So the real comparison here is:  Is it a good decision to replace the current Modem Netgear Cm1000 with the Orbi Modem/Router?  Will I get greater stronger signal & coverage.

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

@NetgearNetowkri wrote:

Thanks so much for your response!  My home is just over 3,500 square feet/multi level.  I ask alot of my internet system with two security camera systems, a couple outdoor timers, a couple large smart TV's, a couple computers, iPads & iPhones.  I also extend the internet into the outdoor padio area for access.  I ask for alot of coverage from my internet service.  If I upgrade to the orbi, I'll just plug in the Netgear r8000 router into the Orbi so I'll have that additional network.  So the real comparison here is:  Is it a good decision to replace the current Modem Netgear Cm1000 with the Orbi Modem/Router?  Will I get greater stronger signal & coverage.

No. Like @FURRYe38 said, keep your cm1000. Its faster than the CBK40's integrated modem. You'd be better off investing in the rbk50 series of devices.  Or even the Orbi AX series. 

If you plan on keeping the R8000, make sure its running in AP mode and that you have the wireless channels seperate from the orbi's to reduce interference. Thats if you're going: cm1000----->orbi------->r8000

The R8000 won't integrate with the mesh but you can use it to take some devices off the orbi network. 

Message 6 of 13

Thanks so much from your response!  Your suggestions of rbk50 series or Orbi AX seriese is interesting although I would need to either keep my cm1000 or upgrade it to a cm1100 (or better, if there is).  I was hoping to eliminate the separate modem but if it works better with the system then I'll keep it.  I also don't need to include the Netgear r8000, if it's not going to boost the system in someway.  I can live without the extra network.  Any further suggestions would be most helpful.  Thanks!!

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the CM1000 modem as it's will work well for you. It has the same or similar chipset as the 1100 does. The only big difference is that the 1100 has support tor Link Aggregation which you won't need. 

If you don't have any AX supporting wifi devcies, get a Orbi 50 series. If your looking to future proof then you could consider the Orbi AX. That will be up to you. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 8 of 13

Thanks again for your information!  I'm learning more and more.  I'm certainly looking down the pike and attempting to plan for the future changes in the industry, so that is a consideration but am unclear about one of your statements.  You mentioned: "AX supporting wifi devcies"  What is considered a AX supporting wifi devcie?  One additional question;  I'm assuming that if I choose to, the Netgear r8000 would be compatible with the Orbi (to be just ethernet connected) Correct?

Message 9 of 13

Oh!  I may have answered my own question via this article:  https://www.consumerreports.org/wireless-routers/wifi-6-router-is-it-time-to-buy/ 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to check with each mfr for your wifi devices to see if they are AX supporting. AX is just a wireless mode with faster connection speeds between the device and a AX supporting router. So you have modes A, B, G, N and AC and now AX is new on the market. There was AD however that didn't gain much traction and didn't make it. 

Yes, the R8000 would work in AP mode.

Corrected the URL:

https://www.consumerreports.org/wireless-routers/wifi-6-router-is-it-time-to-buy/

Message 11 of 13

Thanks so much FURRYe38 for your last post.  I've uncovered the mystery about the AX issue via the article that I included above.  Our cell phone are 6s+'s our iPads are about 2 to 3 years old and computers along with the TV's are older than that so from what I learn;  There will be no greater speed had with a 6X system with our older devices.  Thanks for all your information. 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements