Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Drop in Download Speed - RBR750 with Satellite

Bobkc
Star

Drop in Download Speed - RBR750 with Satellite

I have been using the using the Orbi RBR750 for 8 months now and 30 days ago the download speed dropped from 940mbs to 610mbs.  Have noticed the satellite has been indicating that it is receiving periodic weak reception during this time period when the speed dropped.  Upload speed has been consistent/unchanged at 41/42mbs.  Verified that the most current firmware is installed.

When ethernet connected directly into the Orbi, the desktop will pull the 940mbs.  When on wireless, it drops to 610mbs.  Desktop is literally 1 foot away from the main Orbi so there is no interference.  I have tried a power down and a factory reset and it has had no change on the situation.  I have powered down the satellite as well as the modem with no change.  

Have tried various speedtests providers and using the Orbi app and still the same results.  The entire environment uses Apple devices.  Orbi is ethernet connected to a Netgear CM1150.  

Ideas???

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of problems of recent FW versions and is working on it. 

Please contact them directly to let them know what your seeing. 

Hopefully will be fixed in next FW update. We don't know when that will be so be patient. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 19
LJ3000
Guide

I am having the same issue and was directed to this site.

CBR750 — Orbi WiFi 6 DOCSIS 3.1 Mesh WiFi Cable Modem Router

Firmware version V4.6.3.6
App version 2.11.0.11

In last two days, my Download speed dropped from between 1200-1400 to 500-600. Had this model since March 2021 and first time a download speed drop has persisted more than a few hours. Tried calling support and they provided basic advice and had me change a couple settings and said everything else looked okay and to give it 24 hours. The drop seems to have started happening right after I installed the last firmware update. I called ISP (xfinity) and they said everything is fine on their end and they are sending 1g speeds. I paid $1k for the modem router combo plus two satellites and netgear tech on the phone says I need to pay a subscription if I need advanced help. I am so disappointed. Has anyone else experienced a slow down after latest firmware update?
Message 3 of 19
Bobkc
Star

I too contacted Xfinity and they told me all was good on their end which when I am ethernet connected to the modem, I can pull the 940mbs.  Wireless it drops to 640mbs.  I concur with your comments about disappointment and have passed the 90 day free support.  Can't rationalize why I should pay for support on a Orbi issue that they are aware of.  Would think this would at the top of the priority list.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are you using to speed test with?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor enabled? 

What CTS values are currently set? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try setting 2347 on CTS 

@Bobkc wrote:

I too contacted Xfinity and they told me all was good on their end which when I am ethernet connected to the modem, I can pull the 940mbs.  Wireless it drops to 640mbs.  I concur with your comments about disappointment and have passed the 90 day free support.  Can't rationalize why I should pay for support on a Orbi issue that they are aware of.  Would think this would at the top of the priority list.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  

Message 5 of 19
Bobkc
Star

Installed the Orbi in March 2021 and it has worked flawlessly until I ran a speed check on 27 July at which time I detected the speed drop on the download side.  Set up to autoinstall FW and suspect that was around the time the latest FW version?

Speed test

- Using Orbi app on iPhone 12 and iPad 7th gen 

- MacBook Pro - 2017 

- iMac - 2019

Home: 4500 sq ft

Location of Satellite: Yes - more than 30 ft apart

2.4 Ghz was on auto and moved to 11 now

5.1 Ghz was set on 48 and left it there

Neighbors - on both sides and behind; can detect 8 networks on wifi

Armor - Not enabled

CTS value was at 64 and changed to 2347

NOTE:  After making the CTS change to 2347 and saving it, a solid purple light came on and stayed on for 20 minutes.  At that time, I did a reset on the Orbi which resulted in a flashing yellow light.  I powered it down and when it came back up, ran the speedtest in the Orbi back and ended up at the same subpar download speed of 600mbs and upload remains unchanged at 42mbs.  

Back to my prior note supporting the comments of not very pleased with the situation and the investment not paying back now. 

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Reset meaning that you pressed the reset button in back for 15 seconds then released and setup from scratch? 

I would have not reset the CBR after changing the CTS value. Next time set the CTS value to 2347 and apply the change. Then log back into the CBR to see if the front LED turns OFF any. If not, power OFF the CBR for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Are you speed testing at the CBR or at the RBS? I would first test at the CBR with the RBS turned OFF. 

Message 7 of 19
Bobkc
Star

I pushed the reset on the back with a paperclip for ~ 10 seconds.  It was not a complete reset because the system came back up without having to reenter information.  Why I did the reset was because when I tried to log back into my account after 20 minutes of solid light state, it told me that the system was off-line and would not let me log back in.  

I am testing at the CBR which I presume you mean not the satellite.  I that is correct, the answer is yes. Sorry for not knowing all the acroynms.  I'll give your directions another attempt over the weekend.  I can still work without any issues and just don't like to pay for 1 Gig when receiving 600 mbs because of an issue with NG.  Hopefully, NG monitors the Community and will address this sooner than later.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

To do a correct reset, press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then released and setup from scratch.

Please option a support ticket with NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

Message 9 of 19
Cdhappz
Aspirant

I have the same issue. Had consistent speeds of 1300-1400 mbps download and 41 mbps upload. Now after new firmware 500-600 mbps download still 41 mbps upload. Testing speed directly in router login because app is useless as it crashes and is unusable
Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please open a support ticked with NG support and let them know what your experiencing. Can reference this forum thread as well.

Thank you.

@Cdhappz wrote:
I have the same issue. Had consistent speeds of 1300-1400 mbps download and 41 mbps upload. Now after new firmware 500-600 mbps download still 41 mbps upload. Testing speed directly in router login because app is useless as it crashes and is unusable

Message 11 of 19
Bobkc
Star

I have searched the Netgear site in order to find out where I can file a support ticket.  I am out of the 90 warranty and don't want to purchase a support plan to report a Netgear issue.  What am I missing?  Can someone send a link that I can use to report the problem?

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 13 of 19
Bobkc
Star

Thanks for the attempt to provide a link to contact NG. I have been on this page before and since my free product support has run out, I have to purchase a plan to report a NG initiated problem to NG which makes no sense.  I do have the standard NG account where I have registered my products.  The firmware update appears to be the suspect and others have commented the same.  I scoured the page to where the link took me and I can go right back into the community where I have been or else purchase a support plan.  I think they call this a do loop unless I am missing something on the page that provides the abilty to report a problem without having to sign up for a product support plan.  

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try contacting a forum moderator and see what your options are:

@Blanca_O and @Christian_R 

Be sure to visit the main Orbi AX forum as well for the RBR and RBS 7 series. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@Bobkc wrote:

Thanks for the attempt to provide a link to contact NG. I have been on this page before and since my free product support has run out, I have to purchase a plan to report a NG initiated problem to NG which makes no sense.  I do have the standard NG account where I have registered my products.  The firmware update appears to be the suspect and others have commented the same.  I scoured the page to where the link took me and I can go right back into the community where I have been or else purchase a support plan.  I think they call this a do loop unless I am missing something on the page that provides the abilty to report a problem without having to sign up for a product support plan.  

Message 15 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Bobkc and @LJ3000

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 19
Volman2016
Aspirant

Same issue and i had just updated firmware.. really weird because my standard 1 yr support was at 366 days - expires .. total bs to pay this much and a product fails .. NG you know the FN problem — fix it !
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBR750-Fails-after-firmware-update/m...

@Volman2016 wrote:
Same issue and i had just updated firmware.. really weird because my standard 1 yr support was at 366 days - expires .. total bs to pay this much and a product fails .. NG you know the FN problem — fix it !

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7