Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to turn off WiFi radios on CBR40

dp118
Aspirant

How to turn off WiFi radios on CBR40

How do I turn off one or both of the WiFi radios?  I want to temporily use this as a cable modem without wifi to test wifi routers attached to it using the same SSID so I don't have to change settings on my client devices.  I can't find this setting when I open the device settings page.  Every router I've owned has settings to turn these radios on/off.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Currently there isn't any way to turn OFF the wifi radios on the Orbi systems and leaving the router section running. 

There is Bridge mode on the CBR40 which would effectivaly turn OFF the radios, however this also disables the router portion of the CBR40, thus making it a modem only unit. I use this when i'm testing external routers. 

Orbi's are the one MESH product that doesnt' allow for disabling of wifi radios. Others have asked NG for this feature. Will see if they will allow it at some point. For now, use Bridge mode on the CBR40. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Currently there isn't any way to turn OFF the wifi radios on the Orbi systems and leaving the router section running. 

There is Bridge mode on the CBR40 which would effectivaly turn OFF the radios, however this also disables the router portion of the CBR40, thus making it a modem only unit. I use this when i'm testing external routers. 

Orbi's are the one MESH product that doesnt' allow for disabling of wifi radios. Others have asked NG for this feature. Will see if they will allow it at some point. For now, use Bridge mode on the CBR40. 

Message 2 of 6
dp118
Aspirant

Thanks.  Exactly the information I need.  When in bridge mode are the LAN output ports on the Orbi disabled?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya know I didn't check that. I just plugged in the cable to the yellow port in back when in bridge mode. I presume the other ports are disabled when in bridge mode. 

Message 4 of 6
dp118
Aspirant

My CBR40 has no yellow WAN port, only 4 LAN ports.  But I'll give it a try through one of the LAN ports to see if I can disable radios and also get an active LAN port to test other routers.  Thanks again.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya know I didn't check that. I just plugged in the cable to the yellow port in back when in bridge mode. I presume the other ports are disabled when in bridge mode. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Once you enable bridge mode on the CBR40, the wifi willl be disabled. 

I just checked mine, It's in brige mode. The 4 LAN ports in back are disabled and do not work. Only the Yellow WAN port works in bridge mode. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7