Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

: Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

Aches
Aspirant

: Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

I want to have I want to have WiFi in a garage150 feet away.

In the main house I have installed CBR40 with 2 satellites and it preforms great. 150 feet away I have a 2 floor garage with a cement floor between the 2 floors. I have a cat 6 network cable running from Switch the Orbi CBR40 is connected to the garage. How do you recommend I configure the RBR20 and it satellite to provide WiFi to the garage? Do I use the same SSID?
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: : Installing Orbi CBR40 and RBR20 in 2 buildings

What is the Mfr and model of this switch between the CBR40 and garage? Is this switch separate from the CBR40 or you referrging to the ports on the back of the CBR40? 

Either way you could install your RBS at the garage at the end of the LAN cable coming from the house. I recommend putting maybe a 5 or 8 port non manged and non green ethernet switch in the garage, then connect the RBS to the switch and the switch to the cable from the house. The RBS will auto sync and setup the WiFi SSID and PW that is configured on the CBR40 in the house. Then you'll have wifi in the garage. And wired connections if needed too. 

Message 2 of 4
Aches
Aspirant

The switch in the house is Netgear 24 port the switch in the garage is a Netgear 12 port POE switch.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Some switches may not work with Orbi. Managed switches or switches with Green Ethernet can impact Orbi. For managed switches, disable ALL IGMP protocols on these switches. Use non Green ethernet switches. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7