Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple SSID's in WiFi Analyzer

GWild
Guide

Multiple SSID's in WiFi Analyzer

Having issues with my CBR40/RBS20 ...  after a power cycle it's become necessary to repeat the SYNC operation. every single time. Else I get the magenta? glow on the RBS and a pulsing odd color that looks red;  Lack of meaningful indicators is insane: I am one ot the 12% of men with color deficiency and the red/amber/green LED is 100% useless; and the top magenta looks blue from a distance - I have to place filters in front of the leds to really know what color is flashing.

Anyway - back to my connection issues. They started being bad after the latest firmware for the RBS20 ... current installed are:

Router CBR40 CBR40 V2.3.0.10 No New Firmware Available Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-1 V2.3.1.58 No New Firmware Available

Just went through a two hour - get the network running again effort, and it almost seems to be working.  I had to do a full reset of the RBS20... and then attempt another SYNC.  First one failed.  Second one failed.  Third attempt worked, I think.

My config is a little unusual.  Cable into CBR40, several devices connecting via WiFi, CBR40 connecting to RBS20 via WiFi, RBS connecting to a SWITCH (1GbE) and several devices connecting to the SWITCH (1GbE). See pdf for example dwg.

Anyway - this inability to reconnect after a power cycle is getting old.  Plus, it seem the network is dropping bits more often than prior to the firmware upgrade.  And when a bit drops, the network hangs, and requires a power cycle.  Vicious circle now.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc...

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
GWild
Guide

Re: Multiple SSID's in WiFi Analyzer

Well - I hosed that thread.  Meant to ask about SSID's -- I have 8 or more popping in and out with my CBR40/RBS20 kit, and that's with the guest features disabled.

So if any admin can change the thread title to "Orbi System not syncing after Power Cycle" ...

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Check for cable line splitters and remove them if seen.

Who is your ISP? 

Contact the ISP to have them check the signal up to the modem. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the modem and satellite? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you recently updated FW, please try a factory reset on the the entire system and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

@GWild wrote:

Having issues with my CBR40/RBS20 ...  after a power cycle it's become necessary to repeat the SYNC operation. every single time. Else I get the magenta? glow on the RBS and a pulsing odd color that looks red;  Lack of meaningful indicators is insane: I am one ot the 12% of men with color deficiency and the red/amber/green LED is 100% useless; and the top magenta looks blue from a distance - I have to place filters in front of the leds to really know what color is flashing.

Anyway - back to my connection issues. They started being bad after the latest firmware for the RBS20 ... current installed are:

Router CBR40 CBR40 V2.3.0.10 No New Firmware Available Satellite RBS20 Orbi Satellite-1 V2.3.1.58 No New Firmware Available

Just went through a two hour - get the network running again effort, and it almost seems to be working.  I had to do a full reset of the RBS20... and then attempt another SYNC.  First one failed.  Second one failed.  Third attempt worked, I think.

My config is a little unusual.  Cable into CBR40, several devices connecting via WiFi, CBR40 connecting to RBS20 via WiFi, RBS connecting to a SWITCH (1GbE) and several devices connecting to the SWITCH (1GbE). See pdf for example dwg.

Anyway - this inability to reconnect after a power cycle is getting old.  Plus, it seem the network is dropping bits more often than prior to the firmware upgrade.  And when a bit drops, the network hangs, and requires a power cycle.  Vicious circle now.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc...

Message 3 of 5
GWild
Guide

Versions are in original post, and are current for both units.  Issue began with latest update to RBS20; it doesn't want to auto-connect after a power fail: sync has to happen.  I have reset the RBS20 to factory, no change in behavior.  Oddly, the "connection state" of the RBS20 is intermittent. Sometimes the CBR40 shows it as connected, sometime disconnected.  This correlates to the other "connected devices" issues this set has that remains unsolved.  What's worse, is I have network isolation enabled but I can see everything that connects to the wifi from any other device - yet the Orbi can't see every device... go figure. 

So far, I am really unimpressed with the reliability of this set.  I'm not doing anything that unusual yet the instability, especially after a simple firmware update, is the worst I have experienced in many years of building networks (including admin level work).

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Down grade the FW on the RBS back to prior working version. 

I hadn't seen any issues with mine however I haven't tested the latest FW yet. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7