Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need detailed IP traffic monitoring

GWild
Guide

Need detailed IP traffic monitoring

The Orbi has a web connect to monitor traffic.  It is 1) hard to get to; 2) logs out almost immediately; 3) requires manual presses to keep updated.

Not very useful for just watching activity.   Is there any lightweight app that looks at the Orbi traffic regsiters in the router that can run in teh backgroud to watch traffic while doing tests?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need detailed IP traffic monitoring

Would be hard to do for a cable modem/router. IF you had a separated modem and router, then you could put something in between the modem and router to capture data. Not really possible with a all in one system. 

Message 2 of 5
GWild
Guide

Not looking for traffic detail by application:  I am looking for total BYTES SENT / RECEIVED.   

I'd be happy with this display: 458MB Down / 89MB Up.

But I want something light weight that can query the router without all the trouble of logging in through the ORBI web UI - waiting for everything to settle (why does it take 30 seconds to log in? Another 30 seconds to get to the Advanced tab, and another 30 seconds to get to the Traffic page?   I'm exaggerating a bit, but the time it takes to get to these pages is way too long for a router.  I've worked with real routers that do better over remote links half way around the world.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Well again, these are home class routers. Not much call for more granular or advanced features for the average home user. AGain, this is a gateway modem router, not a stand alone router. 

You might see if you can capture something down at the telnet level if there is anything like this. 

Otherwise your stuck with what NG provides. 

Good Luck,

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think you can get this to work on a CBK system however seems to work on a non CBK system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/DIscrepancy-Between-Orbi-Traffic-Monitor-and-ISP-s-Reported/m-...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7