Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI CBR750 requires manually releasing/renewing the IP

sen4ik
Guide

Re: ORBI CBR750 requires manually releasing/renewing the IP

Internet dropped again. I released/renewed and called support again.

I waited for about an hour of the phone, wasn't connected to any support people, and once internet dropped again, the call failed, because I am using wifi calling.

Waited an hour for nothing.

Message 26 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch the CBR updating FW?

Try back tomorrow during the day and if you can, don't use wifi calling. 

Try reaching out to a forum Moderator as well.

@DarrenM 

You may have a faulty CBR that needs replaced. I'd ask about a RMA option if thats availalbe to you. 

@sen4ik wrote:

Internet dropped again. I released/renewed and called support again.

I waited for about an hour of the phone, wasn't connected to any support people, and once internet dropped again, the call failed, because I am using wifi calling.

Waited an hour for nothing.

Message 27 of 51
sen4ik
Guide

@FURRYe38  I did not factory reset before updating the firmware. Should I try that? What is the point of doing that?

I would be super happy to do the RMA. I will ask for that option.

Message 28 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Message 29 of 51
sen4ik
Guide

I called support today again. The support person reviewed the case and tried to contact Tier 2 support for 40 minutes. After that, I was told to drop a call and wait for a callback within the next two hours as Tier 2 is very busy. One more hour wasted, no solution to the problem.

No one called me back during the day.

I called Amazon, and they agreed to take the item back but charging me $81 restocking fee. I think I will go for it. I can't afford to spend more time with support figuring out this problem.

I purchased another modem today, this time I bought whatever is in Xfinity supported list. And I purchased Asus router. Hoping this will work.

Message 30 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 31 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

Did you buy a different modem/router combo? Any idea if netgear will refund if I purchased directly?
Message 32 of 51
Triggs21
Star

We switched to verizon fios and they actually have there own orbi type router/satellite combo with wifi 6. Works wonderful. Very stable with great speeds. 900 up and 900 down. I purchased the orbi directly from netgear.com and they would not entertain a refund even though after 5 months it became unstable. They only wanted to send me an Rma replacement which was just as unreliable. I will never purchase from them again unfortunately. Ive had multiple orbis over the years with no issues and I am also an IT technician so i am more than capable of diagnosing and fixing hardware.
Message 33 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

I got my Orbi in late November, so within the warranty period. Think I have a chance?
Message 34 of 51
Triggs21
Star

They're customer service is all over seas and very difficult to deal with due to the time difference. Best of luck with that. I gave up. Had to take a loss in order to save my sanity. If anyone ever asks me to recommend them any type of networking solution I cannot comfortably recommend netgear anymore unfortunately. Instead of owning up or admitting they have a faulty product/firmware whatever is causing this issue they put it on the customer and in turn lost alot of loyal customers. Reviews of this product are flooded with complaints and issues on amazon and other retailers that sell this product. They wouldn't even acknowledge that this product has numerous posts on netgears own forum with people who are having all sorts of issues with this model when I spoke to a representative. They should offer us some type of credit or resolution to all the people like us who payed $500+ for a product which is now worthless and unreliable. Im sure once someone reports this to consumer protection agency they will finally do something to actually help the customer instead of trying to sell them on a extended support plan. ✌🏽
Message 35 of 51
sen4ik
Guide

I ended up bying Motorola MB8611 modem and ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000). Netgear support is horrible. I calculated total of 14 hours spent on the phone without any luck. Support people just try some lame steps, and than they promise you to call later. And than they call later, and do some more lame steps. From my experience, none of the support people understood the issue in depth - even tier 2 support. The only difference for tier 2 guy was that he used TeamViewer to remotely access my laptop. 

Message 36 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

Thank you both for the background, I’m trying to determine my next steps. Maybe a new FW update will come out soon?
Message 37 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL users need to make contact with NG support if your having FW problems with your CBK systems. NG support or engineering do not visit or post in forums or make anyone aware here of future updates. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

@rmarcare wrote:
Thank you both for the background, I’m trying to determine my next steps. Maybe a new FW update will come out soon?

Message 38 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

is reverting back to FW v3 a viable option that actually resolves the intermittent wifi issues?

Message 39 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Not officially supported. 

However you can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...

Not sure if that would work or last as the CBR would problaby auto update back to v4. 

Message 40 of 51
hozer1967
Aspirant

Purchased combo router/modem Oct '21 and in the past 2 or 3 months, connectivity drops 4 or 5 times a day requiring a reboot.  I updated to the latest firmware v4.6.5.8.

I had Spectrum out here yesterday to test the line and everything looks good on their end. I've used Orbi products for the past 6 or 7 years and never had a problem until I purchased this current model.

Message 41 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

supposedly an issue since v4 FW. its frustrating. they eventually sent me a RWA replacement unit and still have the intermittent wifi. @FURRYe38 tried a beta FW for CBR750 but said its worse than current FW. hopefully theres a stable beta soon that fixes the issue @atejwani 

Message 42 of 51
atejwani
Apprentice

Thanks @rmarcare for @ mentioning me to thread. CBR750 "beta" firmware, as per @FURRYe38 doesn't look good. I tried the Satelite (RBS750) firmware (4.6.7.13) update, it was a mess, and I roll-backed  to V4.6.7.5

I will direct message you and we can talk.

Thanks,

Al

Message 43 of 51
atejwani
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

@FURRYe38 - There are clearly issues with

• CBR750
  • RBS750 (Does my thread not belong here)?

Secondly, the only solution I can think of is the firmware fix by Netgear - none of the hacks/tweaks work - they rather cripple capabilities.

@BlancaO 

Message 44 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

No, you have the CBK750 system which includes the CBR and RBS. All of which have a separate forum for. Please post there. 

The CBK and RBK are two different systems.

Please contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing as any fixes will need to come from NG.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

There's nothing here in the forums we can do in regards to that. 

Thank you. 

@atejwani wrote:

There are clearly issues with

• CBR750
  • RBS750 (Does my thread not belong here)?

Secondly, the only solution I can think of is the firmware fix by Netgear - none of the hacks/tweaks work - they rather cripple capabilities.

Message 45 of 51
atejwani
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 - Let's decompose RBK750.

Does RBK750 not include?

• RBR750
  • RBS750

And hence, my issue in this forum?

Also, contacting Netgear Support will entail buying extending support, and at the end of the day 

Netgear Engieering/R&D has to deliver working firmware!!!

Message 46 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

You have the CBK system which comprises of the CBR and RBS. 

All CBR and CBK which includes an RBS are handled in the Orbi with cable modem forum. Please post there and contact NG support. 

We don't get if or when that will happen. You'll need to contact them.  

Thank you. 

@atejwani wrote:

Let's decompose RBK750.

Does RBK750 not include?

• RBR750
  • RBS750

And hence, my issue in this forum?

Also, contacting Netgear Support will entail buying extending support, and at the end of the day 

Netgear Engieering/R&D has to deliver working firmware!!!

Message 47 of 51
atejwani
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Satellite suddenly not connecting

I had the same issue upgrading RBS to firmware version V4.6.7.13 and all hell broke loose!!! I too have CBR750 firmware version V4.6.5.8_2.0.54.

I rolled back RBS to firmware V4.6.7.5. Now it is manageable, however nothing like the stability/performance I had August 2021, at which time Netgear introduced firmwares for CBK752 (CBR750 + RBS750) and every update after that is a joke, especially from the CBR750 + RBS750 perspective!!!

@imssh , @FURRYe38 @plemans , @Evans720 , @Blanca_O , @DarrenM  

Message 48 of 51
rmarcare
Apprentice

im running CBK752: CBR750 on v4.6.5.8 and RBS750 on v4.6.7.5, so not quite sure about the requirement for both CBR and RBS to be on same FW. in fact, the prior latest RBS FW release was v4.6.5.14 which does not match v4.6.5.8

has there been any stable beta FW released for CBR that effects intermittent wifi issues? I see there have been several more 1 star reviews posted on netgear.com with regards to the CBK752 @atejwani 

Message 49 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

The versions are not fully the same however are on the same base version: v4.6.5.14 which does match v4.6.5.8 and matters here.

@rmarcare wrote:

im running CBK752: CBR750 on v4.6.5.8 and RBS750 on v4.6.7.5, so not quite sure about the requirement for both CBR and RBS to be on same FW. in fact, the prior latest RBS FW release was v4.6.5.14 which does not match v4.6.5.8

has there been any stable beta FW released for CBR that effects intermittent wifi issues? I see there have been several more 1 star reviews posted on netgear.com with regards to the CBK752 

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7