Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 750 Tri-band mesh wi-fi 6 system - Set-up advice & Connection issue

MissyBenita
Tutor

Orbi 750 Tri-band mesh wi-fi 6 system - Set-up advice & Connection issue

Hello,

I'm trying to reconfigure my existing Orbi system (CBR750 & 2 satellites) to add on a RBR750 (router) & 2 more satellites.  The second set was a Costco bundle & included the router.  My previous system was starting to drop previously connected devices all within the past week. The internet connection on the Orbi was good & the Spectrum service was fine, but I am unable to establish wi-fi connections.  The only internet connection is in the center of the house & cannot be relocated.  The CBR750 is connected at that point with the other satellites within range.

The first to go was my iMac & after spending the day trying to correct the problem,  I contacted & paid for support to get my computer running (resetting DNS & channel change).  Since then, my LG tv (OLED55BPUA) & my Amazon Echo cannot connect.  I've updated everything that needed it & rebooted (not a hard reset for TV, but did change DNS to generic Google). I have connected the tv to my phone as a hotspot to access the smart tv apps.

I just added 2 more satellites successfully & have a Orbi router (RBR750) that is not recognized when I tried to add it.  I used the ethernet cable to the Orbi CBR750.  The tv does not show the satellites as options to connect to, just what was there previously.

Any advice for correcting these connectivity issues?  Better set-up options?  Can the new router be added to the system & if so, where in this loop?  Not real techy, but have a basic understanding of where & how to make changes in the system.

thank you in advance

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MissyBenita
Tutor

Re: Orbi 750 Tri-band mesh wi-fi 6 system - Set-up advice & Connection issue - Resolved

Well I certainly messed up. In my confusion of settings, working with online support, etc., I realized that I had changed the WPA setting from 2 to 3. While trying to navigate the rabbit holes of figuring out the problem, I switched it back to 2. Got the tv back online & the Amazon Echo. 

Thank you for your initial response.

I wish there was a concise & understable resource where the uninformed could navigate the pitfalls. I'm sure there is - I just have to find it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi 750 Tri-band mesh wi-fi 6 system - Set-up advice & Connection issue

Problem is that you can't use a router as a satellite with the orbi devices. You could add it as a seperate access point but it wouldn't roam the same. 

What you could do? 

Put the CBR40 in modem only mode then connect the RBR to it. Then when thats setup/working, add the satellites. 

Message 2 of 7
MissyBenita
Tutor

I will try that.  I'll need to look up how to set it in modem only, but can't get to it right now. I'm assuming I can find that info on this site somewhere.  Other problem is that now, besides the tv & Echo, my printer won't connect via wi-fi.  Should I do an initial set-up rather than what I did (add device)? I'm thinking that may be part of the issue, but don't want to power down my husband's businesss side since they run off of my network.  Unfortunately, we're all a little technologically challenged - them more than me.

The router unit is not plugged into the system right now, just the additional satellites.  They're all showing as connected, but aren't showing up as a connection point.

thanks for your response - I really appreciate it.

Message 3 of 7
MissyBenita
Tutor

Hi again, 

The biggest issue is not the the separate router.  I really don't need to add that to my configuration if it's not going to improve anything or make any difference.  

My big problem is that devices that were previously connected are no longer connecting.  It started with my iMac, but was resolved by changing channels & LAN setting, per support person.  My LG is also not connecting, but support couldn't help there. Not real sure if settings need to be changed there & what they should be.

I'm also unable to make a connection to my printer (Canon) & my Amazon Echo. All devices recognize the Orbi, but can no longer connect. I've rebooted everything, reset the Orbi, done the updates, but still nothing. I have not done a reinstall as yet, but I need to, can you let me know if there's a particular step I need to do? Unplug satellites, delete app or where to find best guide? 

I did add 2 more satellites, but problems existed before that & that didn't seem to negatively affect the system. My app shows everything online/working. My iPhones, iPad, EV all have Wi-Fi, so I'm getting a signal from Spectrum. I'm just dumbfounded as to why all these other devices stopped at about the same time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not real fluent in tech speak, but can follow along if I know where to go.

Message 4 of 7
MissyBenita
Tutor

Oh, just to be clear - what I have is the CBR 750 as my main device, not the 40.

Message 5 of 7
MissyBenita
Tutor

Re: Orbi 750 Tri-band mesh wi-fi 6 system - Set-up advice & Connection issue - Resolved

Well I certainly messed up. In my confusion of settings, working with online support, etc., I realized that I had changed the WPA setting from 2 to 3. While trying to navigate the rabbit holes of figuring out the problem, I switched it back to 2. Got the tv back online & the Amazon Echo. 

I wish there was a concise & understable resource where the uninformed could navigate the pitfalls. I'm sure there is - I just have to find it.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI:

https://www.diffen.com/difference/WPA2_vs_WPA3

Were hoping NG will implement a Mixed Mode WPA2 and WPA3 option on there Orbi AX systems. They had it early one however there were problems found with mixed mode so it was removed. I believe they have been fixed so were hoping in future FW updates, NG will add it back in for compatibility across older and newer devices. 

@MissyBenita wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7