Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC 3000 working as a "Fios Router"-- not 'with a Fios Router'

GadgetGuy
Apprentice

Orbi AC 3000 working as a "Fios Router"-- not 'with a Fios Router'

Hello all,
I've been using Orbi since 2016.
My current set up is:
Orbi AC 3000 connected to a Fios Router (300 MB). feeding 5 Arlo cameras, 1 Arlo doorbell, Hue Lights, Amazon Recast, 2 Amazin Fire sticks,  1 Amazon Fire ready TV, 2 Amazon plugs,  1 Amazon Echo, Amazon 1 Amazon Dot and several phones and ipads. So a busy house, but the set up is working very well. 
But I noticed that when I check my Orbi Speed using the Orbi app, I get a much higher speed when I check my "network speed. using speed test.
I was wondering, since **I do not have Fios TV** or phone, do I really need to use the Fios provided rental router? Please note that my Orbi is not the Built-in Cable Modem (CBK40).
Before I start messing with it, I would like to hear your experience. 
Also, do any of you have a step by step for this configuration, so I can retire my Fios router? I think eliminating tha routing will bring me a much better speed.
Thank you very much.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC 3000 working as a "Fios Router"-- not 'with a Fios Router'

Please post here in this forum for your model Orbi system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

FYI:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If the Orbi system works for you in place of the ISP router, then use it that way. 

Good Luck. 

@GadgetGuy wrote:

Hello all,
I've been using Orbi since 2016.
My current set up is:
Orbi AC 3000 connected to a Fios Router (300 MB). feeding 5 Arlo cameras, 1 Arlo doorbell, Hue Lights, Amazon Recast, 2 Amazin Fire sticks,  1 Amazon Fire ready TV, 2 Amazon plugs,  1 Amazon Echo, Amazon 1 Amazon Dot and several phones and ipads. So a busy house, but the set up is working very well. 
But I noticed that when I check my Orbi Speed using the Orbi app, I get a much higher speed when I check my "network speed. using speed test.
I was wondering, since **I do not have Fios TV** or phone, do I really need to use the Fios provided rental router? Please note that my Orbi is not the Built-in Cable Modem (CBK40).
Before I start messing with it, I would like to hear your experience. 
Also, do any of you have a step by step for this configuration, so I can retire my Fios router? I think eliminating tha routing will bring me a much better speed.
Thank you very much.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7