Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi + August lock (WiFi) = disconnect/reconnects

physast
Guide

Orbi + August lock (WiFi) = disconnect/reconnects

It was suggested that I post about this problem in this forum.

I have a CBR750 with one satelite mesh system on a 1GB cable internet. I have about 20 devices connected. My issue is that my august smart locks (wifi versions) keep disconnecting and reconnecting. This happens many times a day and sometimes upto 15 times a day. I think this is also causing the battery life of the smart lock to drain faster.

I am noticing these disconnect/reconnects because the Augus app sends them to me as an alert. I have not noticed them on other smart devices, but have not looked to see if those notifications are turned on for other smart devices.

My current firmware is: V4.6.3.6_2.0.48

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi + August lock (WiFi) = disconnect/reconnects

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS values to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

IF these are the only devices having problems like this, I would make contact the the Mfr of these devices for help and support information as well. 

Message 2 of 18
physast
Guide

@FURRYe38 Thank you for replying and these suggestions.

• House is 1600 sqft
  • Feet between router and satelite is about 25 feet (plaster board walls, older house)
  • 2.4Ghz is on channel 6 and 5Ghz is set to 48
  • Many Wifi neighbors, about 7

Armor is disabled, or not on because I don't have a subscription. I have not tried disabling IPv6 yet but will and report back. Will also try the other settings as well.

I am also seeing disconnects now on other smart devices, Ring alarm being one and my VOIP phone. 

Sometimes when I log into the orber app I notice that some devices are not connected, but I would think they should be. For instance the August locks, Ring doorbell and some smart lights. Should they all always show connected? Is it normal to see some devices not connected?

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you move the RBS out a bit farther? Say 35 feet? 

Try setting CTS to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Message 4 of 18
physast
Guide

I have moved the main router and turned off the satelite. I will wait a few days and see if this helps at all. I am starting a list of other things to try, so thanks for all the suggestions.

Message 5 of 18
physast
Guide

@FURRYe38 

I have noticed another SSID showing up with a very strong signal when searching for WiFi networks. My SSID and also a NETGEAR79. Is it possible that this is also being broadcast from my Orbi Router? How do I find out? Is this normal?

Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have NETGEAR79 as a SSID name? Change it to something else. Something unique and different. Then look to see how it shows up. 

Message 7 of 18
physast
Guide

No I don't have NETGEAR79 as an SSID name. I have something else, but I see a NETGEAR79 show up with the same signal strength and was wondering if it is possible that the ORBI is broadcasting the default and my new SSID. However I just read that the ORBI default is not NETGEAR79.

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Might be a neighbor whos next door. Turn OFF the CBR and RBS for a few minutes and look again to see if NETGEAR79 still appears. 

What channel is that SSID using? 

Message 9 of 18
physast
Guide

Looks like the NETGEAR79 was using the same channel as me, but we are the only two on that channel. 

Last night I put the 5Ghz power on the ORBI from 100% to 25% and so far have not had a disconnect of the august locks since then. I will keep monitoring this. Maybe the ORBI was trying to connect the August lock using 5Ghz and the locks ccan't so then reconnects to the 2.4Ghz and that is what is causing this issue.

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What channel is that SSID using? 

Message 11 of 18
physast
Guide

The other SSID is using 6 and I am using 11. 

I just got off the phone with August lock. They are sending me 3 connect wifi bridges. They said that August lock and Orbi sometimes have issues with battery life. 

Once I get those I will update on the disconnect issues I still see. I don't see them as much since I lowered the 5Gh broadcasting power to 25%, but I still see it once or twice a day.

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 18
physast
Guide

After receiving the connect wifi bridges the disconnects have seemed to vanish and the battery life has increased. I guess the constant searching and reconnecting the wifi was draining the battery. I have now gond 4 months and counting with out having to change the battery where before it was every month.

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, we saw same issue on Orbi AX 8 series and NEST Thermostat controllers. They were ping ponging back and forth and causing low batter messages on the controllers. Recent FW on the AX series seems to be working now. 

Message 15 of 18
Cdhappz
Aspirant

I'm not sure what the August locks are but perhaps the issue is similar to what I was experiencing with my Samsung smart tv. The issue I was having is that the TV was connecting to the 5ghz network side of the orbi but samsungs tech does not support that and they say to manually connect to the 2.4ghz network. The only problem with that is as you know orbi does not have that feature. We were getting multiple disconnects from the TV and it disrupted my other devices. The way I worked around the issue was disabling the internet connection on my TV and using a fire stick as a work around.
Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Significant-Drop-in-download-speed-c...

@Cdhappz wrote:
I'm not sure what the August locks are but perhaps the issue is similar to what I was experiencing with my Samsung smart tv. The issue I was having is that the TV was connecting to the 5ghz network side of the orbi but samsungs tech does not support that and they say to manually connect to the 2.4ghz network. The only problem with that is as you know orbi does not have that feature. We were getting multiple disconnects from the TV and it disrupted my other devices. The way I worked around the issue was disabling the internet connection on my TV and using a fire stick as a work around.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also see if setting CTS to 2347 on the CBR will help. 
Also try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz on the CBR under the Basic Tab/Wireless settings. Remove the check mark next to 2.4G. Apply the setting.

@physast wrote:

After receiving the connect wifi bridges the disconnects have seemed to vanish and the battery life has increased. I guess the constant searching and reconnecting the wifi was draining the battery. I have now gond 4 months and counting with out having to change the battery where before it was every month.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7